Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Evil Rain  (Read 42172 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Rain
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »

has the chocolate rain joke already been made?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:41 pm »

Heh.. makes me wonder when somebody will get "Hard Rain"...

"I wonder why they call it hard rain... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Combined with a mod that adds phalli...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Nunzillor

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 11:59:43 pm »

Huh, the elf blood I'm getting doesn't seem to be doing anything.  It's been constant since embark, but nothing's happened (now on mid-spring).  The dwarfs have walked through it several times.  Will edit if I start seeing some effects.

Edit: my bad. forget this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:25:00 am by Nunzillor »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:58 am »

Huh, the elf blood I'm getting doesn't seem to be doing anything.  It's been constant since embark, but nothing's happened (now on mid-spring).  The dwarfs have walked through it several times.  Will edit if I start seeing some effects.
You won't get any, your evil rain is either syndrome inducing or blood not both.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:02 am »

Well, I tried to do some !!Science!!, but when I embark on a terrifying biome, I last about two seconds. Hint: Do not bring any animals. They are quickly killed and zombifyed. Dogs can be quite bad.

I feel kinda bad for neglecting everyone on Valentines Day, but the new release is out, damn it!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:27 am »

Mine is acrid goo. I thought I had it bad, but compared to nearly everyone else here it's remarkably benign, and actually could work in my favor if it effects gobs. I call mine narcolepsy goo: it's acrid goo that knocks my dorfs unconscious and causes extreme pain for a couple of seconds, but fades quickly. They wake up fairly quickly and no long term effects have been noticed.

So the million dollar question is: can it effect siegeing armies? That goo doesn't work on my animals, so I fear it wont work on invaders either.

Unrelated question but is everything you butcher in evil areas supposed to come to life always? I have to get my militia to kill a water buffalo's living arms and legs, often.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:31 am »

Constant Repulsive Mucus. it seems to vary in strength between "Make them dizzy and knock them out" and "put them in unending pain without actually wounding them"

either way, when it occurs within days of embark, there's not much point in trying to build a fort in this world. I can't even get things moved in before people start passing out and being torn to shreds by zombie badgers.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:31 am »

Mine is acrid goo. I thought I had it bad, but compared to nearly everyone else here it's remarkably benign, and actually could work in my favor if it effects gobs. I call mine narcolepsy goo: it's acrid goo that knocks my dorfs unconscious and causes extreme pain for a couple of seconds, but fades quickly. They wake up fairly quickly and no long term effects have been noticed.

So the million dollar question is: can it effect siegeing armies? That goo doesn't work on my animals, so I fear it wont work on invaders either.

Unrelated question but is everything you butcher in evil areas supposed to come to life always? I have to get my militia to kill a water buffalo's living arms and legs, often.
It really should effect everything, I've never seen animals immune to it.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 12:30:45 am »

It really should effect everything, I've never seen animals immune to it.

I never see it affect zombies. it affected my emus at first in my most recent embark, but for the most part, they seem fine now, even though they're covered in it and continue to walk around in it.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:36 am »

Loathsome filth for me. I guess I go lucky, since it only seems to cause (severe cases of) nausea. What's even better is that kobold thieves seem to get detected when they're retcing and vomiting while trying to sneak.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 03:48:38 am »

I too, have acrid goo but if hit by a raindrop the creature's body is initially "bruised" all over, then their condition worsens and they die very soon. It's pretty fun, and man
The ENTIRE map is covered permanently in grey squiggly pools of it. I can't tell if it is currently raining anymore really... unless there is somewhere in the UI that says?

I've been drawing some quick MS paint pictures for a different forum and two of them are relevant, so here they are:

Luckily, the second picture isn't quite as true anymore. To my boundless relief I, incredibly luckily, was able to drop the insides of a small hill down through my aquifer. It's a miracle I was even able to tunnel over to it and not be thwarted by water.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 04:34:15 am »

dayum
after reading this thread I can't wait to start a fort in my evil region as soon as I finish my exam
And getting underground ASAP is my kind of speciality since the skeleton-elk-infested-map in my previous games.
And I see that there'll be a need for a shower in the entrance
Plus if the syndrome is mild, it can be a great invaguration ceremony for the migrants or if more severe a good shower for those wax workers
And zombies could be good never ending training punching bags for my recruits
SO MANY IDEAS
And Phoebus updated its tileset so hooray! Now the only thing to wait for is The Terapist

And one question: Do the sandstorms go through fortifications?
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:46 am »

I was getting Putrid ooze rain, which causes blisters over the complete body (+ minor bloodloss).
Did savescum, but the dwarves themselves did not seem to get injured too seriously, but they were in a hell of a mood getting blisters every second over their whole bodies.

It does seem several baddies (a gremlin, a troll and a somethingsomething corpse) died because of it.

Didnt seem too serious, so I'm just going to dig underground and quickly put a roof over my wagon.
The constant bloodstream caused by all the blisters was kinda jucky tho

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:12 am »

Wait: evil rain can form evil ponds of mucky evil?

OPEN THE FLOODGATES!

EDIT: I just want to state that I haven't touched the new version since there's no Dwarf Therapist yet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:45:24 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 06:59:48 am »

I wonder, can this evil precipitation be channeled and collected into a reservoir for later use?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7