Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Evil Rain  (Read 42081 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Rain
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:03 am »

I wonder, can this evil precipitation be channeled and collected into a reservoir for later use?
I'm not sure if it's virulent after it stops falling. If you look at your dorfs the ones covered in toxic rain are fine it's the ones covered in "Cursed Mist" that get the nastiness. I'd wager that being hit by poison rain covers them in the infectious cursed mist but actually stepping in it has no effect. That would actually be pretty awesome of Toady because when your maps soaked in poison caravans, sieges, migrants and outdoor operations would have to end. Possibly permanently since the only thing that gets rid of the goop is normal rain which may not actually fall.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:52 am »

Good news! I poisoned my water supply!

I realized that the dwarves cleaned themselves but the animals didn't, to prevent blister-slime from getting tracked everywhere I ordered all of my animals to be thrown into the well. They are clean but now the well brings up "Slimy Water" with blister-slime coating. Now we get to see what happens when you drink toxic slime. I'm hoping it's internal bleeding.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 08:51:16 am »

I didn't get evil rain in my terrifying ocean embark, but something called an execrable cloud appeared from time to time (complete with warning and pause/zoom) and moved across the landscape. My dwarfs were already underground, so I don't know its exact effects, but it sure killed any giant crabs, giant lice, or lice people milling about on contact.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:49 am »

I didn't get evil rain in my terrifying ocean embark, but something called an execrable cloud appeared from time to time (complete with warning and pause/zoom) and moved across the landscape. My dwarfs were already underground, so I don't know its exact effects, but it sure killed any giant crabs, giant lice, or lice people milling about on contact.
You either get doom rain or nightmare clouds. The rain effects everything caught out in the open but has limits to how nasty it can be, the clouds have no such limitations but effect only the creatures caught in the clouds path.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 09:02:09 am »

They are clean but now the well brings up "Slimy Water" with blister-slime coating. Now we get to see what happens when you drink toxic slime. I'm hoping it's internal bleeding.
this pretty much summarises DF players.
'ooh, I hope it'll kill my dwarves!'
From my perspective it's more a:
'ooh, I wonder if they'll suffer internal hemorrhaging from drinking poisonous water!'
The death is a side effect.

Pokey McFork

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_TOOL:FORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:33 am »

I got a 'Foul Murk' that enthralled anyone covered in it, and caused them to secrete it (I think, not too sure about this). anyone that wasn't a thrall of it instantly became one on contact with it, and the thralls were hostile to the non-thralls. All the thralls were allied, regardless of previous dispositions.

This was in adventure mode, but it's more or less the same situation, I suppose.

'least, I think it was evil rain.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:16:45 am by Pokey McFork »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 06:44:43 pm »

I just got one that causes blisters, massive bleeding, and  fatal paralysis. Rains apparently do get very nasty.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 09:22:58 pm »

I got eerie soot that causes nausea, numbness and paralysis of the lungs. Killed my entire fort.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »

So far I've encountered:
  • Goblin blood rain - for some infathomasble reason this caused an unhappy thought.
  • Excerable cloud - Nothing happens(?)
  • Bitter ooze rain - slight pain, slight fever, pus(?)
  • Pungent slime rain - dizziness
No zombie apocalypse, no ash thralls, no melting herbalists, no ‼Fun‼. :( Most of my terrifying embarks haven't even had Staring Eyeballs or other freakish vegetation.
Some people get all the good1) ‼Fun‼ embarks... *envious*
1)On second thought, "good" probably isn't the best word here.

This bothered me a bit when I was looking at the dorf descriptions, though:
"He has the appearance of someone who is seventy-two years old and one of the first ones of his kind."
Vampire/werecreature/other, please specify:          ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:49:36 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 11:58:35 pm »

Current fort has blood rain.

Constant blood rain. It is raining dwarven blood ALL THE TIME. Every week of every month of every year I get that message. "It is raining dwarven blood!" ... it doesn't really do anything except coat everything in red and giving the "got caught in a freakish weather" thought to my dorfs.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 12:25:08 am »

Constant blood rain. It is raining dwarven blood ALL THE TIME. Every week of every month of every year I get that message. "It is raining dwarven blood!" ... it doesn't really do anything except coat everything in red and giving the "got caught in a freakish weather" thought to my dorfs.
As a nice detail, whenever it rainsd blood, everybody outside is absolutely soaked in it, literally up to their eyeballs. My woodcutters and livestock even had a goblin blood covering on their teeth and tongues.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:50 am »

As a nice detail, whenever it rainsd blood, everybody outside is absolutely soaked in it, literally up to their eyeballs. My woodcutters and livestock even had a goblin blood covering on their teeth and tongues.

You can't really blame them for tasting it. Armok knows that's the first thing I'd do if it started raining blood ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:54 am »

This bothered me a bit when I was looking at the dorf descriptions, though:
"He has the appearance of someone who is seventy-two years old and one of the first ones of his kind."
Vampire/werecreature/other, please specify:          ?

He's probably normal dwarf. If they're older than the world they inhabit the creatures will get "He has the appearance of someone who is [age] years old and one of the first ones of his kind."

So far I've encountered:
  • Goblin blood rain - for some infathomasble reason this caused an unhappy thought.
  • Excerable cloud - Nothing happens(?)
  • Bitter ooze rain - slight pain, slight fever, pus(?)
  • Pungent slime rain - dizziness

Avoid clouds and murks like they were the circus itself. The kind of "Excerable ash" I get is a paralytic and a fever inducer. You touch a pile,coating, dusting, etc of it and your temperature skyrockets and your affected limb goes numb, but you live. You breathe it in while it's still in the air in storm form and it paralyzes your lungs, killing you in seconds.

Losing is Fun. :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:11:31 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 01:09:02 am »

Abhorrant Ooze. Dunno what it does yet, at first I thought it dissolved organic materials, but that was just the puddle.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:09:04 am »

Avoid clouds and murks like they were the circus itself.
But where's the ‼Fun‼ in tha... oh.
This time I got half a map's worth of terrifying volcano.

A cursed murk has drifted nearby!

--> 5 min. --> Welcome to Whipswallowed, Population: 2 (also featured: Dwarf Miner Cursed Murk Thrall, Dwarf Merchant Cursed Murk Thrall, Stray Ram Cursed Murk Thrall, Stray Dog Cursed Murk Thrall, Stray Horse Cursed Murk Thrall, Stray Turkey Gobbler Cursed Murk Thrall, Wolverine Corpse, Stray Dog Corpse... and most notably: a mysterious Inventory item called No Pick you can't seem to drop.)

The stray horse thrall proceeded to literally kick the crap out of most of the other thralls and zombies, taking its sweet time to break everything in the turkey before finally decapitating it.

Then I ordered my two brave axdorfs to take down the merchant thrall.

--> Your fortress hasd crumbled to its end.

Apparently, the only way to really "kill" a thrall is breaking every single body part or possibly decapitation. Of course, this has a tendency to result in animated Cursed Murk Thrall bodypart x10 swarming your dorfs...

Losing is Fun. :D
Sure is!  Especially when it's brought on more or less intentionally by embarking on a living Hell. >:D

Think I'll go back to DF2010 for a bit tho, until the DFVD version of Lazy Newb Pack rolls around...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7