Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Evil Rain  (Read 41697 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Evil Rain
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »

From what I've gathered the precipitate "cursed mist" inflicts a random syndrome. Advanced paramaters has an option for how many distinct types of evil rain exist in the world so it's very likely the few examples we've seen on the boards are just the tip of the iceberg. Most examples seem to be very benign, but lucky me I got hell-rain. My dwarves are covered in bruises, vomitting, slipping in and out of conciousness, and have just gone blind.

Please add your stories to the collective knowledge base so we might learn how to make ourselves immune to this horrible, vile substance and also how to soak everything we give to elves in it.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Rain
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:40:40 pm »

New world genned. 100 types of evil mist, 100 were-curses, 100 vampire curses. Every new variable for curses and evil things i have multiplied by 4, oh yeah, 200 titans. This is going to be fun
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »

Oh boy, I can imagine my aboveground settlements being a lot more difficult now...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:13 pm »

Oh boy, I can imagine my aboveground settlements being a lot more difficult now...
I couldn't even start unloading the cart before the first rain shut down production. He who builds an above ground fort in an evil biome shall be god.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »

Well, whatever comes down ['filthy slime' in my case] forms pools everywhere across the map. Clothing doesn't protect against it, but once or twice I got actual rain and the filthy slime was washed away like any other contaminant. Dwarves will do the usual cleaning stuff to it if it gets inside, and water washes it off. I'm assuming that fire and magma will also clear it all out.
As for protecting yourself... dig a hole as soon as you can and stay inside q;

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »

You'll just have to put a ceiling over the entire fort.

Of course, getting that ceiling up in the first place will be quite tricky...

And now that I've run an above ground fort, I really like them.  Guess I should stay clear of the evil regions if I plan on doing that unless I'm feeling masochistic.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:50:59 pm »

Well, whatever comes down ['filthy slime' in my case] forms pools everywhere across the map. Clothing doesn't protect against it, but once or twice I got actual rain and the filthy slime was washed away like any other contaminant. Dwarves will do the usual cleaning stuff to it if it gets inside, and water washes it off. I'm assuming that fire and magma will also clear it all out.
As for protecting yourself... dig a hole as soon as you can and stay inside q;
I've noticed alot of dry patches after the rain slows down, if anyone else has seen the same thing it's likely that contaminants now evaporate.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

I couldn't even start unloading the cart before the first rain shut down production. He who builds an above ground fort in an evil biome shall be god.

The key will to be embark with enough materials to immediately build a roof over the wagon. Evil biomes are my favorite... so now it's going to take very special precautions to make anything there.

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:29 pm »

I got stinking goo. It covered the snow in yellow piles. The affected areas were small at first, but grew larger each time the rain began, ending with the whole map. Anything affected was covered in blisters on every body part, but it didn't seem to kill or even really damage my dwarves.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Death123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:06:21 pm »

Vile goo gives bruised feets and fever.. ow ow. It happens when some of these "Emu" creatures went over to the evil biome.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »

I had rains of "repellent filth."  (Is there any other kind of filth than repellent?  Isn't that kind of what filth is by definition??  Anyway....)  Anyone who got filth on them became dizzy and nauseous.  My fort was covered in vomit and my dwarves rapidly depleted my booze stockpile from getting thirsty from all the vomiting.  Even after I got all my dwarves inside, the couple of migrant waves that came through sprayed the entrance hallway and meeting area, and then the damned cats kept running in and out, getting sick and throwing up everywhere.

I'd like to say that it helped with invasions/thieves/snatchers by making them too dizzy and pukey to be effective in battle, except my fort fell to a herd of rutherers that came up from the caverns before I had even my first ambush.  My lone axedwarf went mad after some of his friends were killed, and instead of killing the rutherers decided to mope around until he was struck down.  Everyone else went down rapidly after that.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:46:02 pm »

I had rains of "repellent filth."  (Is there any other kind of filth than repellent?  Isn't that kind of what filth is by definition??  Anyway....)  Anyone who got filth on them became dizzy and nauseous.  My fort was covered in vomit and my dwarves rapidly depleted my booze stockpile from getting thirsty from all the vomiting.  Even after I got all my dwarves inside, the couple of migrant waves that came through sprayed the entrance hallway and meeting area, and then the damned cats kept running in and out, getting sick and throwing up everywhere.

I'd like to say that it helped with invasions/thieves/snatchers by making them too dizzy and pukey to be effective in battle, except my fort fell to a herd of rutherers that came up from the caverns before I had even my first ambush.  My lone axedwarf went mad after some of his friends were killed, and instead of killing the rutherers decided to mope around until he was struck down.  Everyone else went down rapidly after that.

This video. Completely related. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYSpIz2FjU

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »

The nastier rains are definitely double edged swords, nothing can enter my murder rain map without being immediately stricken blind and collapsing in a pile of their own vomit. It would take one or two marks dwarves under a roof to mop up an entire siege.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »

Nasty sludge. Fever, dizziness then a full body blistering.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

evil biomes are pretty much a race to get underground as far as I can tell. I got DECIMATED before I could do much more than designate some trees to be cut down, take a look around the map, and start digging a little bunker.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7