Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)  (Read 24345 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Playable Naga Race (with graphics)
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »

Playable Naga Race

Download link - standard version

Download link for "Glazed Nagas", the combination of this mod with the Expanded Glazes mod.

Now updated for 0.42.06. This takes advantage of new Values and such.  Nagas greatly prefer arts and revelry.

Receiving a request from the blue, I happened to come back to DF, and was enticed to finish up packaging a mod that is essentially a derivation of a much older mod I did a while back, and a graphics pack I had been requested to make about a year ago.

Since it's a releasable mod, there's no reason not to make it openly available, so I'm putting this out here for anyone else interested in playing their game as a naga race.

I was also just about to release this when I noticed that we have a whole new version, so I had to update this pretty quickly to get it working for 0.34.01.

CONTENTS
  • You can start the game as a race of nagas - mountain-dwelling top-half-humanoid, bottom-half-serpent creatures of Indian myth.
    • Most saliently, nagas feature a tail rather than legs.  Their large tail is capable of a slap attack and can be used to powerfully grapple and constrict opponents when wrestling.  Their tail makes them larger and heavier in general than other humanoids (85,000 size), but the humanoid section of their bodies are actually smaller (roughly 77% of human size), and in fact their humanoid section is slightly smaller than elves (roughly 90% of elven size).  This is mostly to prevent them from being too powerful just because of their size.  In the arena, their tail constriction can crush a smaller creature's skull.
    • Physically, nagas are more agile and slightly more strong than dwarves, but their slower metabolisms mean they tire more easily - they favor quick strikes and resting to prolonged battle. They also recover from injury more slowly and are more vulnerable to disease.
    • Mentally, nagas are intelligent and more creative and expressive and favor more esoteric and aesthetic crafts compared to the more practical and engineering-focused dwarves.  Nagas are also more sociable and hunger more for social interaction.  They are, however, more undisciplined, and governed more by emotion and social pressures from their peers than dwarves. They have bonuses to analytical ability, creativity, willpower, linguistics, music, empathy, and social awareness, but lack in focus, patience, and social sense.
    • Nagas have more sociable and generous but far more prideful and stubborn personalities.  They are quick to help those they know and care about, but tend to slack and worry more about their own wants when they don't feel it will hurt anyone.
    • Naga scales match their hair color, and can come from a wide palette ranging from green to purple to red to black.
    • Their slower metabolisms mean they have a longer lifespan than humans or dwarves, but they also grow to adulthood slower, as well.  (Age 15 instead of 12.)
    • Their tails make them natural swimmers - they have SWIM_INNATE. (But not water-breathing.)
  • A new language for nagas, based off of French, which tends to produce longer names with more complex consonant sounds.
  • The naga civ has some special clothing types (armored skirts instead of greaves and the like) and special toys (naga children playing with dolls instead of miniforges).
  • A graphics pack for all the nagas, which is compatible with any other graphics packs of your choice.

To Install

Unzip and copy the contents from the folders into the DF raws folders.  You should not need to overwrite anything, except if you are "updating" to a new version.  You can "uninstall" by simply deleting the files with "naga" in the name.

I made this out of something originally for 31.01, by the way, and updated it to 31.25, and now to 42.06, so I'm not sure how much I'll have to update this further.  I also couldn't quite get organs to work the way I wanted, since I wanted to put more organs in the serpentine tail rather than humanoid torso, and play around with relsizes, but the organs are mostly superfluous for now, anyway.

I also do not know how to make scales stylable, but will try to do so in the future if people desire.

I originally made this mod as a race of lamia, but people seemed to like the term "naga" better.  If people request, I can make this a lamia mod instead of a naga mod.  Also, it is possible to have patterns instead of just solid colors of scales, and I have considered making a large number of color patterns for hair and scales to apply to this race, should people desire it.

As always, I welcome comments and criticism.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:05:56 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:31 pm »

Oh wow, thanks a lot for this, is it okay if I use this in a mod I intend to make?
They will be a "mostly neutral" civ, compared to everything else, which is either good ethics or bad ethics.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:20 pm »

Oh wow, thanks a lot for this, is it okay if I use this in a mod I intend to make?
They will be a "mostly neutral" civ, compared to everything else, which is either good ethics or bad ethics.

Go ahead and use the mod however you want.  That's what modding is for.

I'm not sure what "mostly neutral" means, however, as dwarves and humans in vanilla have most "bad" things as being listed as "bad", and dwarves and humans are still hardly paragons of virtue.  (Does that mean eating babies is only "SHUN_IF_NOT_TASTY"?)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »

"SHUN_IF_NOT_TASTY"

Nothing a little roasting in the magma wouldn't fix

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »

Hm, now that I think about it, you can't have a very gray area with ethics? they would be percieved as either good or bad from civ to civ, as you said.
With that, they will be, uh, a not-baby-eating civ, willing to trade with other not-baby-eating civs.
Thanks, I'll be sure to credit you for them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

The thing about the ethics files is that they mostly handle things that are very bad, so it's only useful for distinguishing "evil" from "not entirely evil".  When you're asking people whether or not things like murder and cannibalism are bad, it's kind of a no-brainer.  You have to include a broader range of questions to distinguish a society that is good from one that is merely neutral.

Say...

[ETHIC:YO_MAMA_JOKES_AT_COMMONER:JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE]
[ETHIC:YO_MAMA_JOKES_AT_NOBLE:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
[ETHIC:MEME_PROPOGATION:BANISH]
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:18:50 pm »

Welp, time to snip nagas out of my mod notes, I guess.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »

I just realized that I'm going to need to play around with the language builder again, because there were new words added onto the language files.  (Mostly colors.)  So I'll need to do a new version to add those in.

By the way, do people prefer using the term "naga" or "lamia"?  I'm honestly a little more used to seeing lamia, but then, I guess I play more JRPGs.  The people who requested the mod used naga, though.

Welp, time to snip nagas out of my mod notes, I guess.

... I hope that's a good thing.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:29:56 am »

... I finally tracked down an odd bug, here.  Apparently, simply having a [NAME:naga:nagas:nagan] token is not enough, I need to also give my creatures a CASTE_NAME or they get tracked in-game as a "female nothing".

I don't remember having to do that in earlier versions...

Anyway, I'm putting up a new version which should clear up the minor problems.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »

I'm making another (yes, another) version because I just found out about changes to the entity raws I didn't notice earlier.

Hammerers have been reworked, and so now nagan executioners are going to be forced to use spears, since I'm putting those down as the "stereotypical naga" weapon.

It's still from the download link at the first post.

I'm also editing the graphics so that the executioner now appears with a bloody spear instead of a big hammer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:45:22 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »

Oh wow, there is a face I haven't seen in awhile, I was wondering what happened to you. Well welcome back Kohaku, and hope you enjoyed your break from df.

I'll definately be getting this mod. I got a bit of work ahead of me moving all my old mods to the new version at the moment, and have been lazy doing that. So I've just been doing a vanilla fort at the moment. The mists are definately 200 proof Fun.

As for the naga lamia names, I can go either way. Whichever name you like best for them. And the clothing thing, unless toady botched that in this last update, it should work in it's own file. I had "Punjabi Pants" in a seperate file for an arabian based desert civ last version, and I know they worked.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:39 pm »

Ah, that makes things a little easier, then.

I'll have to try that for my next version.

For now, though, the only thing I can really think of doing that I would want to do is make certain jobs have a faster learning rate than others, although I'm not too sure I would want to stick my toe too far into that pool. 

While I'm at it, though, would people be interested in my older mod, the Stonehall Alliance mod being updated, the one where you played as five races at the same time through use of castes (and children were randomly of any of the five races)?  Graphics would not work for that, however.

EDIT:
Yup, no error messages, and the nagas still wear their pigskin loincloths.  I'll release an easier-to-install version, then.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:03:24 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »

Oh, and one last thing:
I got a PM from someone playing around with this talking about how they thought the nagas were more likely to get into arguments with one another and become unhappy.

If anyone notices similar behavior, if you can try to get a good look at the offended and offender's personality traits (preferably by Dwarf Therapist or the like when it's up and functional for this version, so that you can get exact values) then it would help me isolate what personality traits actually are responsible for what behaviors.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 04:42:40 am »

So you finally did this.
I will be downloading now.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:37 pm »

So you finally did this.
I will be downloading now.

Err... Sorry to take so long?

Incidentally, I'm adding back in the expanded glazes mod so that I can play on my own stuff, but are there any other changes that people would like in this mod as it stands?

I can release a combined-package of the glazes mod with this one, I can add in some of the other races I had lying around like the aranea or the oni or kappa. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7