Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)  (Read 24470 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Naga Race (with graphics)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »

So you finally did this.
I will be downloading now.

Err... Sorry to take so long?

Sorry, was not my intention to sound like that.
Guess I should have left a smiley in that sentence.  :P

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »

Go ahead and make a combined package. Some people do like that sort of convenience. But do keep some downloads of your various mods seperate for those who prefer to install them seperately or just don't want one or the other.

And it is nice getting this mod late, rather than never, so thank you. Once I get all my other mods worked out and running relatively bugfree. I'll work on getting a fort actually built, and I might put some screenies up. Though I've been rather busy, so it'll probably be a few weeks or so.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:12 pm »

would people be interested in my older mod, the Stonehall Alliance mod being updated, the one where you played as five races at the same time through use of castes (and children were randomly of any of the five races)?
This is the exact kind of thing I was hoping to use these nagas in.
Woah.
I kind of went 'fuck it' and moved onto making my own scalier kobolds that live in deserts and Bulbins, both of which were originally going to be enemies to the multiracial civ most of the time.
It'd be extremely awesome if you updated Stonehall. :3
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Bulblin

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21:27 pm »

Heh, I was just testing my mod before I released it...

It turns out glazing now involves adding gem cuts, apparently :P

This is a well-crafted earthenware statue of dwarves.
The item is a well-designed image of two dwarves in earthenware by Tulom Zelerogem.
It is glazed with oval copper glazed cabochons.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:36 pm »

I can't really fix those problems that it has, as they are sort of hardcoded, so I just put up what I have...

See the OP for the links
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »

Haha! I CAN fix the problem...

If I take away the [IS_STONE] tag, and make it a [POWDER_MISC_CREATURE] so that it counts as "bone powder" instead of as a stone, glazes shouldn't be getting gem-style cuts anymore.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:39 pm »

Yay Nagas!
I will create the most tasteful of snake cities, with water canals down every marble street.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

By the by, if you use Phoebus, I have done a couple little changes to the tileset, so that you can have a statue that looks like a naga instead of a dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... it's been a long time since I've used something besides Curses... I have to keep going back and changing things that annoy me about the graphics, like stockpiles not looking like = signs, which mess me up when I'm looking at the workshops.  I'm going to be customizing my tileset more, but that's what you would really need for a simple change.

And if anyone starts a naga adventurer, by the way, tell me how that works out, please?  I don't really do adventurer mode (although I really should, what with the new towns...) so I'd like to get the impressions of someone who actually knows what the heck they're doing when they play that mode.

Finally, I'm open to requests at this point if there is some sort of mod or mod add-on... although if it takes a large amount of work, I might not get to it right away...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:55 pm »

Anyways finished up my latest df fort a lil while ago. And now I'm working on updating my mods and installing them. Started out with installing your nagas and glazes so far.

Also, it is possible to have patterns instead of just solid colors of scales, and I have considered making a large number of color patterns for hair and scales to apply to this race, should people desire it.

As always, I welcome comments and criticism.

Scale patterns do sound neat. A lot of snakes have some nice banding and patterns on them. You would only have to look to mother nature for ideas on that front.

Some other ideas for the nagas/lamias could be some domestic pets suitable for them. Probably a vermin hunting snake or maybe some nasty pit viper "guard dogs" complete with mildly venomous bite. Or even give the nagas themselves fangs and a weak poison bite.

Currently it looks like you have them set for live birth, but maybe they can be an egg laying race. Most reptiles lay eggs as opposed to live birth, but then again nagas are half reptile and half mammal. Not sure how the reproduction for something like that would work out anyways. But it is something to drive the nagas away from being a simple reskin of dwarves, and give a slightly different play approach.

Jus a couple ideas, feel free to shoot them full of holes if you like. I'll let you know if I think of anything else though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »

Actually, a good many snakes give live birth, especially the larger ones or ones that live near colder regions, and there are "in between" snakes that have eggs that incubate and hatch while still in the mother, as well as mammal-style placental live birth.  At the same time, many snakes eat eggs or eat other snakes, as they are much easier to swallow than a giant stag or something.  Larger, slower-developing snakes refrain from laying eggs because they can't afford to drop so many nutrients on extra egg deposits they won't defend to counter the poachers and by just keeping them in their body, they don't have to actively defend them.

(Plus egg laying is really buggy for civ creatures for the moment, isn't it? Don't the civ races not know to not eat their own eggs, and the mothers will have their AI overwritten by bird AI and stuff?)  I can throw in egg-laying for people who really want it, though.

I don't really want to make it like "nagas are snakes, so everything they do has to be snake-themed".

Probles Nagaette: "Yes, I'm a naga who doesn't like snakes.  What's so hard about that to understand?  Do all you humans like monkeys running around in your homes all the time?!"

Youmu Konpaku: "I'd just like to say I'm also not too fond of ghosts."

Anyway, I also turned down the chance to give the nagas a poisonous bite (which snakemen have, incidentally,) because I think the tail slams and tail constrictions are deadly enough (seriously, has anyone tried playing a naga adventurer yet?)

EDIT: Ah, here's the bugginess of the egg-laying: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53740.msg2864929#msg2864929
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:22:14 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »

Well like I said, feel free to shoot em full of holes and you did. No worries, was jus tossing the ideas out there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »

Well like I said, feel free to shoot em full of holes and you did. No worries, was jus tossing the ideas out there.

Err, sorry, I came off sounding too critical, there.  I normally try to hold my tongue in check.

Anyway, I would be capable of doing a set of pets that are specific to nagas, but they aren't going to actually BE specific to nagas.  I can only really make them COMMON_DOMESTIC.  Until there is a way to specify pets by race, I can only change it for everyone.

Even then, while it might be OK to try some sort of snake pet, I would rather it be in the midst of a slew of other pets that would make more sense for the environment - creatures better adapted for mountains and caves.  Bats instead of cats as insect hunters, for example. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:49 pm »

Haha, no need to apologise. They were suggestions and random thoughts, and you didn't like em. Fair enough ^^

Edit: And don't add something to your mod cause you feel guilty. Add it cause you think it is a geniunely good idea ;P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:36:28 am by Patchy »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »

Playing adventure mode, I didn't quite like the way that [SWIMS_INNATE] worked, so I decided to try removing it and putting in [SWIMS_LEARNED] with a [NATURAL_SKILL:SWIMMING:3] so that all nagas just start out competent in swimming.

I'm a little leery of starting to meddle with the mental attribute increase rates and such because I'm worried about balance issues, and because even if I put completely balanced positives and negatives in, it might "type-cast" nagas into a few specific roles.  (Although this is less important when they are a stand-alone race and not just a caste.)

Anyway, playing in Adventurer mode, nagas are "too large" for human equipment, unfortunately, although I did manage to snag shield before succumbing to the overpowering presence of tables.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

CAVE_DETAILED creatures having no shops is a serious stumbling block on a young naga adventurer's path towards not dying, but on the plus side, tail slaps are pretty darn useful.

Even though they are only a couple times more powerful than a regular kick, their ability to latch on makes tail slaps devastating in the right situations - check out what happened to a dwarven werewolf that was stupid enough to attack me while in dwarf form.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Before that, though, on the trip to the lair, I had a fight with a giant thrips that took an annoyingly long period of time to win.  Granted, I wasn't exactly going for the deathblows on purpose, but tail-wrestling with a giant critter is not nearly as potent, although the shake attacks did rip limbs open, and I was able to "fight dirty" by scratching his eye out.  Eventually it gave in to pain, so I just smashed its head in with a single blow from my hammer... which is weird, because I was trying a trick of "tail slap - latch on - immobilize the enemy, and smack it with my hammer" trick before that, and it wasn't doing much besides bruising, but as soon as I get him down on the ground, it's instant kill time.

EDIT: Alligators are deadly - they can basically do the same thing to me that I was doing to everything else.  Nearly lost an arm and had to run for it.  I was getting faint, but the fact that I'm just plain faster meant I could fast travel and heal.

I got ambushed by a cheetah on the way back to town to report my heroic limb-ripping kill of the dwarf-form werecritter.  It turns out that if I target a paw or a tail, I can rip the whole limb off, and then throw it back at the assailant, which is sort of funny.

The only problem is I'm flying skyhigh in wrestling while my hammernaga skill isn't going anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:29:11 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7