Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I enter the sewer?  (Read 16613 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I enter the sewer?
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:49 pm »

I've found a number of "Sewer Access" locations, which are grates in the road.  How do I actually enter said grates?  < and > don't work.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I enter the sewer?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »

To be honest I wish we could forcibly drop through the grates. Maybe flying creatures can? I don't know. Either way, go to the castle in a town to find an entrance to the sewers/catacombs. Occasionally a cathedral (look for light blue text when on the town map) will have an entrance too.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

It lists on the travel screen where lists houses, well, all kinds of shops and other stuff that's on that tile. Sometime, it will say Sewer Entrance in purple

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »

Yeah, the issue is that we can't open the grates. I've found entrances inside castles though.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »

Ahh. Sorry bout that. And yeah, I found one in a castle as well, until the criminals in the basement murdered me. >_>

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »

The grates aren't the sewer access, the sewer access is just a plain stairway that leads down into a section of the sewers.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »

The grates aren't the sewer access, the sewer access is just a plain stairway that leads down into a section of the sewers.

I didn't see any stairs around the grate area, which on the fast travel map is marked as sewer access. Did I miss them?
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:29 pm »

a sewer accessis generally off the road and looks like a rampin the ally between two buildings.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »

Bears repeating:

Grates are not sewer access. You need to wander around until you find the way in.

Remember, things that show up on the travel screen (eg sewer access) are good for a 3x3 or so area, so you need to search.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »

Yeah, the actual sewer entrance will either be a down-ramp or a down staircase just kinda sitting in the middle of the ground, possibly in a little alleyway (I saw one that was just next to somebody's house out on the outskirts of town).  Given that it's only a single tile, it can be fairly easy to miss.  The sewer grates are entirely unrelated to entering the sewers - you'll note that they show up everywhere, even when "Sewer Entrance" isn't listed on the travel screen. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:04:19 pm »

Yet somehow you can drink the sewer water through the grating.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:48:25 am »

Yet somehow you can drink the sewer water through the grating.
Mmm... Delicious.
Finis sanctificat media.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:42:35 am »

It should also be mentioned that the castle basements are not the same as the sewers. They're completely separate.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »

Does anyone know how to open floor hatches? I can't figure it out. I thought you would stand next to them and press 'u' like with wells...

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you look at the minimap showing the level below (top right), the sewer access seems to be connected to the river, which sucks for me. There is no stairwell or anything else.

Just wanted to post this in case it helps, i'ma head in there if I can manage to not drown.

(Edit)
Drowned. But it does connect to the sewer.

Does anyone know how to open floor hatches? I can't figure it out. I thought you would stand next to them and press 'u' like with wells...

I thought you just go down them like they're a stairway - if what I was going through last night was a floor hatch, which I think it was.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:16:17 pm by Isher »
Pages: [1] 2