Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Post your weird moments in exploring DF 2012!  (Read 13572 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your weird moments in exploring DF 2012!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:45 am »

I genned a small world with a short history, and this is the world map.
I think that's an abnormally huge mist, will continue to investigate.
PS: It looked even bigger in the world gen screen and slowly spread out over time.

The blue stuff at the top represents glaciers.

Which usually does generate fog, but I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19:22 am »

Granitetreat, a human town. Population consists of 263 humans, 23 dwarves, 67 kobolds, at least a hundred of animal men and 5396 elves.
There is no record of any large scale elven migration in the Legends mode. The elves have been actively multiplying over the past few decades, probably.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 10:40:22 am »

I just met a deity in a human town?

A law giver.  Wouldn't join my party though..,

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:43:01 am »

A human deity?

Or is it just a clown posing as a deity of humanity?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 10:44:22 am »

A human deity?

Or is it just a clown posing as a deity of humanity?

Oh, damnit. I wasn't going to spoil it for him! It would've been a lot more fun when he figured out what was happening on his own.

He should take a closer [l]ook, though, and see how beautiful a "god" really is.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:16 am »

I went to a temple and while looking for the priest found mass-burial sites. Apparently human burial is just sticking peasant skeletons in alcoved in hallways, and occasionally filling entire rooms full of them, strewn across the floor with a few empty coffins nearby.

There was also a notorious gang hiding out under the keep in the capital, while another keep had kobolds hanging out under it.

And most of the towns are just abandoned houses, with the used homes clustered around the market and keep. Apparently there was a housing boom that went bust or something, in every town.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »

I went to a temple and while looking for the priest found mass-burial sites. Apparently human burial is just sticking peasant skeletons in alcoved in hallways, and occasionally filling entire rooms full of them, strewn across the floor with a few empty coffins nearby.

There was also a notorious gang hiding out under the keep in the capital, while another keep had kobolds hanging out under it.

And most of the towns are just abandoned houses, with the used homes clustered around the market and keep. Apparently there was a housing boom that went bust or something, in every town.

I'm finding it very hard to find and shops, there are just so many abandoned houses
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 02:57:59 pm »

How do you find temples?  There is a vampire in one of mine, and I have had four adventurers die just trying to find it!  Using the quest log I can get to the right area, but no temple.  I guess it might be underground, but the dungeons, catacombs and sewers are crazy, especially now the map is forgotten, so retracing your steps is much harder.

I have found plenty of shops and markets, I guess some cities have just fallen to ruin.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:14 pm »

How do you find temples?

Wander around the city in fast travel, on the important buildings list willa appear a blue name, they have many different forms and not each one has a vampire, they just assume the identity of a important figure in that town

P.S.:If parts of the things that I said made no sense, its because its like 12 o'clock in the night were I live, so my brain is non-functional.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »

For your amusement, a screenshot of about forty merchants and a couple geese about the beat the crap out of a bogeyman that tried to jump me when I slept in a market.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »

For your amusement, a screenshot of about forty merchants and a couple geese about the beat the crap out of a bogeyman that tried to jump me when I slept in a market.

Just brilliant! :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »

I was foolish enough to settle next to a volcano which was in near neighborhood to 2 towers (btw. they appeared in the neighbors tab on the embark-screen). I thought i would have a couple of years before ambushes start so i just had some peasents guarding the entrance while the rest of my dorfs was churning out free ceramics.

To make the story short, some elven traders appear and i was ordering everyone to haul stuff to the outside as 2 necromancers start to siege me! Not only that but each of them had around 30 undead buddies consisting out of ex- elves, humans, dwarfs and goblins. Naturally i got my ass handed to me and no i dont mean my pet donkey.

This was the second speed death today, well third if the reclaim that crashed counts. The first one was from Mutant mist ... got my geese which turned out to be deadlier and more frightening when a Uwe Boll film. The normal zombie Ravens were already bad enough but this was just overkill. 5 birds insta-kill 7 Dorfs in less when 2 minutes.

Also i think magma got a bit faster. I did see one of my miners vaporize almost instantly. He was reportet missing which in retrospect was kind of cool.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:01 pm »

I think the picture pretty much speaks for itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrElf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »

I encountered a vampire disguised as a law giver, who had somehow managed to equip several hundred amulets, bracelets, earrings, and crowns made of human bone, hair, nails, and teeth. I naturally assumed that this wasn't suspicious by any means whatsoever. After  accidentally accusing him of being a vampire he struck at me but I counterattacked which severed a motor nerve and caused him to drop all of the human bone crafts somehow, and stuck me with dozens of pages of The Human Bone Doctor Vampire loses hold of -human nail bracelet- pages. I then proceeded to lul as he attacked me in the middle of a room full of human spearmen, who proceeded to stab him to death and completely shower the room in his blood. Which I am now hoping didn't spread vampirism to said spearmen, as I'm fairly sure I recruited a couple of them into my party.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

I recently met a "Reptile Man Tanner" in a human town, in the most crowded building I had yet found. He had a bunch of *coins* in a masterwork bag, superior to masterwork clothes decorated with gems and the  body parts of rare animals (elephant seal tooth?), and seventy-seven pages of crafts made from human and (a few...pages) dwarf body parts. His weapon of choice? A superior-quality silver boning knife decorated with "bands of rectangular serpentine cabochons." He introduced himself as Imcor Mucklord, a very respectable name (not). He "wassss a ssscout" who admitted to killing sixteen humans while "sstalking Joinssubmerged," seventy-five while stalking "Coverworld," and seventeen while stalking "Blamelessssgrave," among others. He was also a woodcutter for 10 years, a fishery worker for 10, and had been a tanner for ten. Creepy...I accused him of being a night creature for fun, and due to suspicion due to the fact that he was 99% covered in human hair, bone, and so forth, AND that he claimed to be at least 57 years old assuming he could be a fishery worker from the day he hatched. He introduced himself as a vampire and told me to die. No kill list though.

Oh, and a couple of people who showed up in the Attack list were described as "Cultists." I spilled the vampire's guts as a civilian miner began carving through the cultists along with my companions (an adventureless adventurer and a former hunter) and the other civilians. Notably, the miner cut off some guy's hand. I decided to try punching out the vampire's teeth, which failed. The miner continued to cut off limbs, culminating in cutting off the vampire's right lower arm, which had pages of bracelets, earrings, and stuff on it. The vampire bled to death...

...and wasn't my kill, damnations. I located the miner and offered him a chance to join my party. He refused, so I reminded him of my impressive blows on the vampire (or spread the news or something), and he said he was unfit to brave danger with me. Oh, and he didn't have any services for me to do. Apparently, making him spill his guts literally and figuratively promoted me to Total Herohood. I drink some blood off my axe and chop off a cultist's hand, one of my pals spat out someone's tounge (which I plan to keep), chopped off the cultist's other hand, watched someone stab my kill in the head fatally, and split the skull of the last living cultist with one blow of my silver axe. I accidentally fast-travel after starting to loot the bodies, thankfully grabbing a couple pouches and the awesome knife the vampire had, then started stealing some of the rest of the stuff after returning instantly. Hey, he was wearing a long skirt! And a dress! I stole the vamp's pimped-out clothes to sell and a dwarf beard amulet and a pair of tooth crowns because they're awesome. I also steal the best of the cultists' clothes, including a giant sperm whale leather loincloth. After putting on my choice of swag (the purloined jewelry, aforementioned loincloth, a great horned owl hood that I imagine still had the owl horns, an emperor penguin leather cloak) and stealing some of the rest, I located the vampire's body parts, took them, and began my quest to transcend mortality.

What do shops look like, again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3