Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Post your weird moments in exploring DF 2012!  (Read 13499 times)

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post your weird moments in exploring DF 2012!
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:41 pm »

I just started in adventure mode. Upon entering the world in my home village, an elf axe lord was standing around inside the closest building. As I left the building, the axe lord attacked me. I ran back inside and the elf lord started slaughtering all the farmers and peasants.

I'm guessing this elf was meant to be living in the village, but somehow now considers everyone unfriendly. Either that or my adventure begins when a hostile elf axe lord shows up one day and starts slaughtering everyone. :P

Edit: Yeah, definitely a bug. The humans are attacking each other too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toughest neighborhood ever? This is the first thing that happens when I show up in the world.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:28:14 pm by Taxus »

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your weird moments in exploring DF 2012!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:41 pm »

Well, you've gotta admit that's a better reason for an adventurer to start adventuring than "One day, Urist McAdventurer decided to ask everyone in town to name a night creature for him to kill."

So far, I've got:
1) 16 lairs in a horizontal line on the travel map, making a "No-travel" wall
2) A necromancer running up to me in the wilds and animating the dozen wolf skins in my backpack.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »

2) A necromancer running up to me in the wilds and animating the dozen wolf skins in my backpack.

If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »

Human settlement which is apparently ruled over by an olm woman, with the title of "first gleam". And a female human high priest with the profession title "holy belch."  :P

Then went down into the basement of the keep, found a dungeon with peasant and kobold skeletons. Pretty cool.

Then wandered over to an adjacent chamber with an open trench in it (sewers?). Suddenly got shot by multiple arrows, fell in and was promptly hacked to death by a bunch of elves armed with silver weapons. WTF?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:02 pm »

If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:45 pm »

OK, so I must admit, prior to this release, I had very little experience in Adv mode.  But since Three Toe said it was supposed to be 100,000x more fun, I said "Heck Yes, my ninja!"

Anyway, during the first day of adventuring, when I got the "HUNG" notice at the bottom of the screen, my mind IMMEDIATELY went into the gutter!  LOL

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:14:40 am »

Gatshi Aradradi, Human Fisherman: The Stoked Dunes is a day's travel to the southwest.
Gatshi Aradradi, Human Fisherman: Barn owls roam freely there.

Terrifying.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:39:46 am »

noticed that limbs that get torn off (by lions. damned wildlife is back strong in 2012 it seems) instead of sayin "urist McAdventurers hand" now say "your left hand"

so even though i lost my hand im still punching people to death with it.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:13 am »

Haha, I genned a world where there was a city with a vampire lord that everyone suspected but nobody had the guts to call out or do anything about it. Here I am, alone, looking for cool bling to buy, when I casually ask an elven merchant about services. He goes on about how the ruler of the city is a vampire, that pretty much everyone knows about it but does nothing. This vampire lady apparently killed 492 people throughout her days. So I set off to the keep, climb up to the top, confront this vampire empress in her quarters, strike up conversation and randomly accuse her of being a night creature. This room is full of what I assume are bodyguards, so right about now I'm half expecting her to laugh and sick her guards on me. Instead, she goes on for a while about all the people she's killed over the course of history, and politely advises I prepare to die.

It all went straight downhill from there.

Her guards suddenly jumped on this "vampire" monster that appeared in the room. I just stood there gaping in awe as this lord's loyal guards just tore her to pieces mercilessly. I talked to one of the guards after she finally bled to death, told him about my perilous battle to slay the evil vampire overlord, and they were so impressed they jumped aboard my party. From there on I was the hero of the land.

Then I got killed by a goblin bandit in the wild.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:55:09 am »

Odd bug - Start an adventurer, try to talk to someone - any time I talk to anyone the game crashes.

EDIT: seems to be a corrupted worldgen. new world, no problems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:38:20 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:28:57 am »

i just noticed that dwarfs build more things diagonally now!!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:54 am »

Walk into a town. Go into what appears to be an old-style temple. Find dead bodies in the basement. EVERYWHERE in the basement.
Oh look, it's another room! OH LOOK! 3 MORE DEAD BODIES!

DF is going horror-genre on us.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:28:56 am »

Medium world, ~300 years of history.
Quote from: region10-world_sites_and_pops.txt
344: Isshabekdil, "Stormdabbles", tower
   Owner: The Messianic Jungles, humans
   353881 humans
   4 dwarves
   2 elves
   40 animated elves
   34 animated humans
It must be crowdy there.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 05:57:01 am »

I genned a small world with a short history, and this is the world map.

I think that's an abnormally huge mist, will continue to investigate.
PS: It looked even bigger in the world gen screen and slowly spread out over time.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 06:09:55 am »

I ventured into a village to discover that the priest of a sanctuary told me he profaned the the temple. Of course the priest was a vampire.

More weird: Experimenting with mods in arena mode, I had a certain caste of dwarves transform into another caste of dwarves after polymorphing.

Then the different caste dwarf proceeded to resurrect his foe, who killed him immediately by transforming into the same form the living dwarf was polymorphed into, a couple of seconds ago.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2 3