Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [noob] Play a dragon/Roc/something else?  (Read 3026 times)

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
[noob] Play a dragon/Roc/something else?
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:38:36 am »

Kind of new here (well, the account is old, but just recently started to play DF constantly).

I know that DF is really, really moddable. In fact, I know that creating a new species is as easy as adding some text file somewhere.

Sadly, I have no idea where or how. So my question is, can you play a custom species in Adventure mode? If so, can I just copy the Dragon file and play as a dragon?

I'm looking here atm: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Modding_guide#Modding_the_creatures
but I don't know if I quite understand it. And would like to know if it is possible before diving in. What would work? What wouldn't?

Thanks!
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [noob] Play a dragon/Roc/something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:05 am »

Look into Genesis Mod, It adds many new things as well as playable races for adventure mode.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0

Bear in mind, this is not for the newest version of DF.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:21:50 am by sirquote »

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:25 am »

or just add this to entity_default.txt

[ENTITY:ADVNTURERS]
[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
[CREATURE:OGRE]
[CREATURE:GIANT]
[CREATURE:DRAGON] <remember, you can't open doors nor equip, but the dragon breath is AWESOME
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:35 pm »

or just add this to entity_default.txt

[ENTITY:ADVNTURERS]
[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
[CREATURE:OGRE]
[CREATURE:GIANT]
[CREATURE:DRAGON] <remember, you can't open doors nor equip, but the dragon breath is AWESOME

Awesome! Trying it out when I get home! And why would I want to open doors? I'm a F*CKING DRAGON!!!!

Wait, aren't dragons building-destroyers? Cant I just shatter the door into pieces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »

Why not just add [CAN_OPEN_DOORS] to dragons?*
*Not responsible for dragon related deaths

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

Why not just add [CAN_OPEN_DOORS] to dragons?*
*Not responsible for dragon related deaths

I wish I knew how to draw. :(

*Draws a dragon opening a door with a top hat and  monocle*

"Contrary to popular belief, kind sir, I am not a savage beast."

Thomar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »

Krantz's tip on changing the raws is accurate.  I ran a dragon, and it's interesting to note some problems it has.

The most important thing to note is that you cannot eat.  You can't pick anything up, you can't butcher for food, and you can't eat corpses.  Even if you tear someone's arm off, you can't eat it.  Because your natural attacks do a lot of laceration, you may be able to get by drinking all the blood that will be covering your body.

You also can't level your skills, it seems that the dragon's natural attacks don't count as biting and striking.  This may be a result of dragons being nonsentient, and therefore not able to learn combat skills.  You can still level your attributes.

Dragonfire won't work if you put the cursor in a solid obstacle like a tree or wall.  Even with Temperature on, dragonfire does not burn wooden structures and doors.

Dragons can't fly.

Obviously most of these could be fixed by more raw modding.

It would be interesting to see if you could retire a dragon and then have a human adventurer recruit him.  I haven't tested it, though.  I'm going to go attack a castle and burn a city before I starve to death instead.

EDIT: NOOO!!!  CURsssE YOU PATHETIC HUMANsss AND YOUR FIREPROOF DOORsss!!!

EDIT EDIT: Well, I slept outside the castle to see if anyone would open the door for me.  Thanks to the city sleeping bug, I teleported into the courtyard (which also had doors.)  Slept again, and then bogeymen spawned up on the walls or outside the walls or something, so I just quit.  Did you know that the game has a different Quit message depending on what your cause of death would be?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:46:13 pm by Thomar »

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:43 pm »

The tags that I always toss on dragons, because they're what I play as when I adventure:

[INTELLIGENT] - so that I can learn skills.
[EQUIPS] - so I can use a butchering tool and not starve.
[CANOPENDOORS] - for the obvious reason.
[FLIER] and 2WINGS - because the lack of them is an oversight and not intentional (check the cave dragon's description and you'll see that dragons were intended to have wings and fly, but somehow never got them in all this time.)
I switch them to the [QUADRUPED_NECK] ('cuz they have long necks in my mental image) body type and put [GRASP] on their front feet; if I care about other critters I'll make that a copy named [QUADRUPED_NECK_GRASP] so giraffes and things don't run around holding things.

I also give them a lot more color options and physical description attributes, but that's just so all my dragon adventurers don't look the same and has no effect on anything.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »

Thing is, I wish I could just break doors. Dragons do have building-breaking but it seems you can't use them in Adventure.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:08:37 pm »

I switch them to the [QUADRUPED_NECK] ('cuz they have long necks in my mental image) body type and put [GRASP] on their front feet; if I care about other critters I'll make that a copy named [QUADRUPED_NECK_GRASP] so giraffes and things don't run around holding things.

I also give them a lot more color options and physical description attributes, but that's just so all my dragon adventurers don't look the same and has no effect on anything.

Wait, what is it that you switched for [QUADRUPED_NECK]? What does [QUADRUPED_NECK] mean?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »

By default, dragons have the [QUADRUPED] body.  [QUADRUPED_NECK] is identical, except it has an external neck body part which the head is attached to.  On most body-types, the neck is internal and can only really be affected in wrestling (grabbing throats to strangle.)

It doesn't really affect much other than giving dragons another attackable bodypart, I just like it for flavor.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

How exactly do I add grasp to a dragon's front feet? What do I add/change in the raws?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:30:25 am »

To add grasps for the dragon, you need to modify body_default.txt and under [BODY:QUADRUPED] modify the appropriate lines to add grasps:
Code: [Select]
[BP:RH:right front foot:right front feet][CON:RA][STANCE][GRASP][RIGHT][CATEGORY:FOOT_FRONT]
[BP:LH:left front foot:left front feet][CON:LA][STANCE][GRASP][LEFT][CATEGORY:FOOT_FRONT]

You can also change the body type defined for dragons (under [CREATURE:DRAGON] in creature_standard.txt) to be something unique instead, and then make a duplicate of  [BODY:QUADRUPED] (or [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK]) with the same name where you add the grasps.

EDIT:  It seems that adventure mode won't let you butcher and eat sentients no matter how you mod the raws, so I'll have to stick to just burning them all and eating their livestock...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:36:58 am by Pirate Bob »