Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3710184 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:49:19 am »

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions limegreen[/color]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:23:40 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:51:23 am »

The last reply from the last thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2988807#msg2988807

We're going to be starting up the bug-fixing soon, and at some point during that process we'll also be settling exactly what the next new features will be.  We'll update the dev page once we know!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:21 am »

Sadly you haven't time for random vampires. It was one of the features I thought was really cool.

No problem, I think this is still your greatest release by far. There isn't a lot of bugs (though it needs a bit of balance...) and almost no game breaking bugs!

I hope you find time to fine tune some of the new vampires. Vampires in adventure mode almost scream they are vampires. Werewolves shouldn't be found easily in their human form...and sewers shouldn't be depopulated when their denizens die of old age.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:04 am »

Thanks for all the hard work!

My question:
Are there any plans to implement a relatively easier way to handle zombies in Fortress mode such as a weapon material weakness, or a type of fire weapon such as a torch that doesn't set fire to terrain, or whatever else? Because I'm not sure how it's intended to be done right now - With how they revive about 10 seconds after death, there isnt even enough time to drag them to a modded "crematorium" or some such thing before you have to kill them again.. and then again.. and then again...

Also, and just IMO, it seems like there are way too many animal men and giant animals lately.. animal men are amusing but it would be nice to see normal animals sometimes too!

Thanks again for the awesome release otherwise!  Looking forward to all the possibilities these new features open up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:13:02 am by nukularpower »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:41:12 am »

Thanks for all the hard work!

My question:
Are there any plans to implement a relatively easier way to handle zombies in Fortress mode such as a weapon material weakness, or a type of fire weapon such as a torch that doesn't set fire to terrain, or whatever else? Because I'm not sure how it's intended to be done right now - With how they revive about 10 seconds after death, there isnt even enough time to drag them to a modded "crematorium" or some such thing before you have to kill them again.. and then again.. and then again...
Depending on your zombie source, there are two possible solutions: Kill the necromancer, or stay out of evil areas.

Also, and just IMO, it seems like there are way too many animal men and giant animals lately.. animal men are amusing but it would be nice to see normal animals sometimes too!

Thanks again for the awesome release otherwise!  Looking forward to all the possibilities these new features open up.
I agree that deviant creatures could be toned down a bit.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:13 am »

I know "don't embark on evil areas" is a solution to that.. but, well, is that really an improvement to the last version?  Not being able to use evil areas at all?

Maybe I just suck, but I failed 10/10 embarks on haunted biomes within 10 minutes each, 2 of them within about 2 minutes or less... whats the point of evil biomes existing at all in that case?   Even a full military embark didn't work, cuz as soon as one military dwarf dies, you're screwed.. and the less said of my dog zerg attempt, the better.

I guess that my feeling is that they just reanimate too fast, and too many times.  Everything that dies becoming immortal and hostile doesnt seem sustainable, given how DF works, and assuming that this is how it is meant to be, I guess I just prefer the old evil biomes that were playable, if hard.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:53:51 am by nukularpower »

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress - Kobolds Still Starving
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:35:34 am »

Toady, something I'm sure you're aware of is how the Kobolds have been starving to death en masse and mostly extincting very early in worldgen ever since the prior update where worldgen food needs became respected. A lot of people have gotten around this by adding the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to them, and because this is the solution you used to avoid the same thing happening with Goblins, I figured its omission from the Kobold raws was an oversight to be fixed in the long update. Now that it's launched, I see the Kobolds once again dying off of starvation - albeit, in 27 or 33 now instead of in 4, but they're still very much gone. I'm betting that the slightly longer survival is an accidental product of how worldgen has changed, and not an intentional attempt to make the Kobs more survivable.

Given how straightforward it is to fix the problem with the [NO_EAT] / [NO_DRINK] tags, the fact that you've clearly been willing to apply that fix before with Goblins, and the near-universality of Kobold doom without it, should we assume there's another reason you haven't made the Kobolds inediate for the time being? If not - and I apologize if this falls into suggestion territory - will the issue be considered a bug to be stamped out in the forthcoming bugfix releases by adding the tags?

I realize self-fixing it is easy, but especially with the newer, much lengthier Worldgen process, it's a pain to generate a world and then realize you forgot to do so and you either have to throw the whole thing out or live with a Koboldless or mostly-Koboldless world, and it would be equally quick to address on your end and be done with it, no?

Thank you for all your hard work, especially over the last eleven months. :) I'll be donating some ☼ when I have some to spare.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:02:28 am »

So I was reading through legends and I came across an abducted child who was reunited with her mother (and then abducted again, turned, worked as a kidnapper and became famous for her murders but that's neither here nor there).

Is the reunion of abductees and their parents a new and heartwarming feature or just a little known one?

Edit: Confirmed to be old by Parker147
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:17:25 am by NobodyPro »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:51:37 am »

Toady, something I'm sure you're aware of is how the Kobolds have been starving to death en masse and mostly extincting very early in worldgen ever since the prior update where worldgen food needs became respected. A lot of people have gotten around this by adding the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to them, and because this is the solution you used to avoid the same thing happening with Goblins, I figured its omission from the Kobold raws was an oversight to be fixed in the long update. Now that it's launched, I see the Kobolds once again dying off of starvation - albeit, in 27 or 33 now instead of in 4, but they're still very much gone. I'm betting that the slightly longer survival is an accidental product of how worldgen has changed, and not an intentional attempt to make the Kobs more survivable.

Given how straightforward it is to fix the problem with the [NO_EAT] / [NO_DRINK] tags, the fact that you've clearly been willing to apply that fix before with Goblins, and the near-universality of Kobold doom without it, should we assume there's another reason you haven't made the Kobolds inediate for the time being? If not - and I apologize if this falls into suggestion territory - will the issue be considered a bug to be stamped out in the forthcoming bugfix releases by adding the tags?

I realize self-fixing it is easy, but especially with the newer, much lengthier Worldgen process, it's a pain to generate a world and then realize you forgot to do so and you either have to throw the whole thing out or live with a Koboldless or mostly-Koboldless world, and it would be equally quick to address on your end and be done with it, no?

Thank you for all your hard work, especially over the last eleven months. :) I'll be donating some ☼ when I have some to spare.

I thought kobolds had been fixed in this version? There are plenty of reports about people getting murdered by kobolds if I recall correctly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:54:44 am »

I thought kobolds had been fixed in this version? There are plenty of reports about people getting murdered by kobolds if I recall correctly.

Well, like he said, a lot of them seems to starve at year 30 or so, so I guess either all of them don't die out or that they were playing games with less than 30 years generated.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:17:47 am »

Well, like he said, a lot of them seems to starve at year 30 or so, so I guess either all of them don't die out or that they were playing games with less than 30 years generated.

I did say "near-universality" for a reason; even in the last version, I had at least one adventurer get ambushed by a pack of Kobolds in a world where every Kobold listed in Legends was marked as having starved in 4, and I'd thought them extinct. At the time, I assumed there was something strange going on re: respect of kobold extinction when generating ambush groups, because they were all generic un-nameds and because their species had otherwise been totally unheard of since the year in which they allegedly died out. I don't know enough about how that system works to pose an intelligent question about it, though, and it's only related to the starvation problem after-the-fact, so it's neither here nor there with regards to that question.

EDIT: Is it possible that the starving-extinction is still occurring, but this ambush group weirdness combined with the already well-documented overfrequency of ambushes in the new version are making the technically dead kobolds seem more common anyway?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:40:21 am by Torchy »

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:18:57 am »

edit: double post sorry, don't think I can delete it either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:30:34 am by Torchy »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:02 am »

Every world I generated, even those with 500 years had kobols.... Granted, they aren't as numerous as dwarves or elves, but they are there. The last one had 2000+ kobolds, in the year 250.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:17:05 am by thvaz »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

Goblins have [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] for thematic reasons. Kobolds don't get them because they're thematically different. Hopefully they'll make it to play time more often after the bugfix releases.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 07:13:56 am »

I have a quest to go to a mountain hall and kill a dwarven werebeast. Is this currently possible? If not, are such quests a bug?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 748