Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

Future of the Fortress

<< < (2048/2242) > >>

Mephansteras:
I raised an eyebrow at 'easy to learn' as well, but I suppose for Adventure mode that's actually pretty true. Fortress mode is where the UI really starts to get in the way of learning the game.

thvaz:
Dwarf Fortress IS easy to play. Fortress and Adventure Mode. I first played it when I was 25 yo, while studying and working, and I only needed the "How to Survive your First Winter" tutorial in the wiki. I am far from being a genius, I have no Asperger's, and I hadn't (and still haven't) a lot of free time. What is needed to learn Dwarf Fortress? You have to want. It is certainly not a game that will play itself for you.

TD1:
I started when I was 14. At the time, it was hard. I don't know whether it would be now or not, but I have a feeling that it is still much harder than most other games.

Untelligent:
Dwarf Fortress was easier for me to learn than Nethack. Having all the keyboard commands you could potentially use displayed on the screen helped.

PDF urist master:
DF was not as impenetrable as its reputation for me, but while I have learned it, I have not mastered it. still don't know how minecarts work, but I've built a perfectly functional fort around my inability to use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version