Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729033 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10245 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the change between DF2014 and .34 is even close to how big the one from .31 to .34 was, this will be exponentially excellent.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:53 am »

Dwarf Fortress IS easy to play. Fortress and Adventure Mode. I first played it when I was 25 yo, while studying and working, and I only needed the "How to Survive your First Winter" tutorial in the wiki. I am far from being a genius, I have no Asperger's, and I hadn't (and still haven't) a lot of free time. What is needed to learn Dwarf Fortress? You have to want. It is certainly not a game that will play itself for you.
I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be a positive stereotype or negative stereotype. Anyway, please don't.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:51 am »

Dwarf Fortress IS easy to play. Fortress and Adventure Mode. I first played it when I was 25 yo, while studying and working, and I only needed the "How to Survive your First Winter" tutorial in the wiki. I am far from being a genius, I have no Asperger's, and I hadn't (and still haven't) a lot of free time. What is needed to learn Dwarf Fortress? You have to want. It is certainly not a game that will play itself for you.
I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be a positive stereotype or negative stereotype. Anyway, please don't.

I was thinking of asking how he meant that as well at first, but decided not to (especially since in my case that stereotype is definitely true). But yeah, people do seem to easily get all emotional when it comes to stereotypes regardless of what kind, so it's probably best to not go there.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: April 18, 2014, 08:33:46 am »

I was thinking of asking how he meant that as well at first, but decided not to (especially since in my case that stereotype is definitely true). But yeah, people do seem to easily get all emotional when it comes to stereotypes regardless of what kind, so it's probably best to not go there.

Go to some places in the internet, usually comment sections about Dwarf Fortress, and you will understand what I meant. Some say, or joke, that only people with Asperger's can learn Dwarf Fortress. Which obviously isn't true. I meant no offense to people with Aspergers and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:36:28 am by thvaz »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: April 18, 2014, 09:08:52 am »

If the change between DF2014 and .34 is even close to how big the one from .31 to .34 was, this will be exponentially excellent.

It's much, much larger. Larger than 0.28 to 0.31, even, at least on gameplay levels.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:58 am »

It's much, much larger. Larger than 0.28 to 0.31, even, at least on gameplay levels.

... for Adventure mode.  Adding Z levels in Fort mode, for example, seems a bigger gameplay change to me than anything I have heard of for Fort mode for DF2014.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: April 18, 2014, 10:46:14 am »

Go to some places in the internet, usually comment sections about Dwarf Fortress, and you will understand what I meant. Some say, or joke, that only people with Asperger's can learn Dwarf Fortress. Which obviously isn't true. I meant no offense to people with Aspergers and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

you're true. Asperger are too light-headed for DF.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:26 am »

... for Adventure mode.  Adding Z levels in Fort mode, for example, seems a bigger gameplay change to me than anything I have heard of for Fort mode for DF2014.

"0.28 to 0.31" refers to 0.28.181.40d and 0.31.01, respectively (AKA the big release of 2010).  Z-levels were added earlier (between 0.23.130.23a and 0.27.169.32a), so Putnam wasn't making the claim that there's a gameplay change bigger than Z-levels. 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:16 am »

Again, multi-tile trees, nearby hill dwarf settlement, and a personality rewrite sound like pretty big Fort Mode changes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

And anyway, a dynamic world after worldgen during gameplay alone is far more complex and big than Z-levels. Now add all the other things being added and boom, you have the most important (and longest) release.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:41 am »

"0.28 to 0.31" refers to 0.28.181.40d and 0.31.01, respectively (AKA the big release of 2010).  Z-levels were added earlier (between 0.23.130.23a and 0.27.169.32a), so Putnam wasn't making the claim that there's a gameplay change bigger than Z-levels.

Fair enough, I was unsure on the timing of Z-levels.

My larger point was that, from what I've read about what's being developed, people shouldn't expect that DF2014 will feel like it has two years worth of Fort mode changes.  As opposed to Adventure-mode players, who may expect a much more interesting experience.  Again, I do look forward to the larger, activated world in Adventure mode making its liveliness felt in Fort mode in a future release.  For example, by being able to interact with it in Fort mode in some abstracted way, beyond just hearing about it in comments by a trade liaison.

Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:57 am »

Again, multi-tile trees, nearby hill dwarf settlement, and a personality rewrite sound like pretty big Fort Mode changes.

Hill dwarves settlements won't have any effect on fortresses in the next release. This is for further releases. Despite the many changes, gameplay on fortress mode won't change that much, though I don't agree Toady focus was on adventure mode - the focus of this release is the world, it just happens adventure mode interacts more with it for now.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:37 am »

Isn't fort retirement a big change though? (and NPC fort reclamation)

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:16 am »

The big trees should look cool, at least.  Can you "mine" them, and make tree houses?  Can you chop them down and cut them up for hundreds of logs?  Do they grow an inordinate number of fruits, out on their long high branches?

Doesn't look like the hill dwarves affect gameplay in this release.  Looking forward to actually interacting with the hill dwarf settlement, for example having them change migration, trade, army arc.  So that's really not much of a change for Fort players (EDIT: in this release).

I am looking forward to wrangling the rebrained dwarves.  This seems like the biggest change for Fort players (EDIT: in this release).

Fort retirement may be a change to when you can play a fort, and you can muck it up with an adventurer, but it doesn't really necessarily affect a fort's industrial web, how it's laid out, what the dwarves do while you oversee them, etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:17:26 am by catenate »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:10 am »

The big trees should look cool, at least.  Can you "mine" them, and make tree houses?  Can you chop them down and cut them up for hundreds of logs?  Do they grow an inordinate number of fruits, out on their long high branches?
Only if you're playing as the Na'vi or the Sky People :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 748