Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734523 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10335 on: April 23, 2014, 04:14:43 am »

Sustainable wood harvest is quite dwarfy, because Elves are against harvesting wood in the first place, unless done through their cheaty magic methods.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: April 23, 2014, 05:05:30 am »

Maybe we can breed wagons.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:42 am »

Maybe we can breed wagons.

I swear, if this ends up like the damned mermaid farms...
I'll take twenty.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: April 23, 2014, 05:26:41 am »

If wagons dont immediately scuttle themselves without having animals hitched, (a requirement for them behaving like normal animals), then wagonmancy and were-wagons will finally become things in the mod community. (There has already been testing-- but wagonized creatures "die" instantly.)

We might finally witness the dwarven version of Cristine, barreling down that dirt road, and brutally crushing all those elven traders in their hippy caravan.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:24 am »

Don't know about you, but I have this feeling about tons of lumberjack dwarves being crushed to death by those evil trees while chopping them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: April 23, 2014, 09:18:28 am »

I doubt Toady will take the easy way out, and instead do pathing properly.

I assume that's what you meant?
Yes, that's what I meant.

And carving a staircase into the middle of a tree is definitely dwarven.  Since the bark looks like smoothed walls, we might even be able to carve fortifications into the trunks and make the trees into anti-elf bunkers.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:23 am »

A hidden back entrance to a fort perhaps?
Or hidden storages on a forest.
Or home for all sort of creatures.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: April 23, 2014, 09:53:44 am »

A hidden back entrance to a fort perhaps?
Or hidden storages on a forest.
Or home for all sort of creatures.
Like this one in Golden Gate Park?

Apparently it's the back way into Silicon Valley.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:38 am »

I am so making an adventurer dwarf who lives inside a fortified tree and fights elves for a living. Just need a way to live underground as well... probably up/down staircase through the roots.

Then I just hope I don't get an enemy with firebreath or something similar.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: April 23, 2014, 10:03:51 am »

probably up/down staircase through the roots.

Hmmm, do the trees have roots at all, already?

edit:
Just found out that they actually do.
Toady posted some raws recently, where we can clearly see something about branches, trunks and roots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least, it's in the raws, though it may not be fully implemented like a few other things...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:09:57 am by nasobema »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: April 23, 2014, 10:08:45 am »

probably up/down staircase through the roots.

Hmmm, do the trees have roots at all, already?

I don't think so.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: April 23, 2014, 10:14:51 am »

Quote from: Toady
So I guess, actually most tree roots don't actually go very deep underground at all. There are a few exceptions and we've got parameters now that let you kind of set what the roots do for your trees. I don't remember if it's oaks, one of them has a big tap root or something, but even then the tap root doesn't kind of go down through, you know, fifty tiles of granite or whatever. *laughs* At the same time it's a cool image, right? To have roots coming down into the cavern.

I really don't know, that's from the May 23, 2013 DF Talk. I recall something more recent about it but I'm not sure if it was on this thread or what. I believe there are going to be roots in this release, out of a hunch based on a possible fake/wrong memory. I guess we need to wait for our master librarian to answer this.

Oh! Also I think there's something about roots (or naming parts of the tree like X trunk, X root's.. and such).

Edit after serious search:

Yes there is, or it seems. Regarding the question, made by Caldfir on February 17, 2013
How deep do you plan on having tree roots get?  Are they planned for this release? If not, do trees (for now) just end at the surface with nothing beneath but soil?

Toady answered:
Fortunately my father has a background in botany, and we talked that out before I even checked that stuff out online, since he was curious about what I was working on.  I don't remember if it was in any of my older notes, but I know it is for this version.  They might not spread far enough depending on memory concerns, and they might not intermingle right, and any number of interesting things might not happen.

So it seems we indeed are getting roots, or that was the plan at that moment. The image here is from 2012 and you can see from the sideview that they don't have roots, but as that is from before the above quote I'm confident we will have them.

2nd edit:
In fact, on the raws for trees Toady put on the devlog on April 6th we find:
Code: [Select]
[ROOT_DENSITY:5]
[ROOT_RADIUS:3]
So yes, it seems roots are 100% in.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:32:38 am by LordBaal »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:42 am »

Oh his dad has a background in botany? That's cool.

As for the tree that has the deep tap roots, I think it might be the palm tree? Or maybe pine trees, I dunno. I'll wiki it really quick.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:41 am »

Here's a question that's been in the back of my head for a while now:

Since we're now getting growths for plants (fruits, flowers) are there any plans for growths on creatures? Say, egg sacks that burst open to spawn a creature, or chest-burster like monsters that grow in a hapless dwarf before exploding out of his/her body?
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:34 am »

While the wiki articles don't say how deep Oak tree roots get, but the pages say they have deep tap roots. Conifer trees in general have a deep taproot.

However, if you're looking for REALLY deep taproots, look at plants living in deserts and arid regions. Take this Mesquite tree for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_velutina , which has the taproot extending 50 feet or more.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 748