Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714757 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10350 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:53 am »

Also Banana trees aren't trees at all, just big ass plants/perennial herbs... whatdoyouknow...!! The lack of real wood disqualifies them as trees.

And Visus.... that's really... disturbing. But I don't know. Isn't that possible already with mods? But don't worry if isn't, since I'm sure that many eager mods will read that can of worms you just opened and try if not on the current version then on this so much awaited one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:53 am »

Pineapple plants are as much a tree as banana plants are.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:29 am »

Yeah, I'm just kind of shocked, I have ate them all my life and see them up close even owned ones for f#$!" sake and called banana (and wholeheartedly believed them) trees... this change everything, I don't know what to believe, what's true and what's a lie? More importantly, I'll never trust on a plant again.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »

And Visus.... that's really... disturbing. But I don't know. Isn't that possible already with mods? But don't worry if isn't, since I'm sure that many eager mods will read that can of worms you just opened and try if not on the current version then on this so much awaited one.

I actually made a parasitic wasp creature that reproduces by laying eggs in large animals. Like people. Still very buggy; currently the best I've come up with is transforming the victim into the "offspring" of the wasp, which neither kills the victim in a spectacularly cruel manner nor creates a new creature. I've had problems getting creatures spawned from parts that fall off and are resurrected/reanimated not wanting to get along with their parents (the wasp that stung the victim that they emerge from)

A way to produce entirely new creatures by having them emerge from body parts would be awesome for this purpose. Currently there is no way to get new bodyparts on a creature except to transform them into another creature/caste that has the desired body parts. We just can't have proper evil parasitic monsters yet  :'(
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: April 23, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »

....Are you seriously asking for more evil in Dwarf Fortress?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:46 pm »

Well, yeah. What are we going to do without extra evil to stomp on?

It would also, perhaps, allow for cloning/duplication interactions or asexual reproduction, like for cave blobs and other living creatures that don't have male and female castes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:01 pm »

What are we going to do without more evil to stomp on? For crying out loud, man, you're missing the point! When evil runs out, just stomp on the squishier good stuff. What do you think elves were coded for?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:18 pm »

What are we going to do without more evil to stomp on? For crying out loud, man, you're missing the point! When evil runs out, just stomp on the squishier good stuff. What do you think elves were coded for?

Bringing us wood, juicy berries and fluffy animals to trade for? ^_^

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: April 23, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »

Bringing us wood, juicy berries and fluffy animals to trade for? ^_^

Or rather, waging war with and performing extremely !!SCIENTIFIC!! experiments on them if you *accidentally* offer them something made of wood?

probably up/down staircase through the roots.

Hmmm, do the trees have roots at all, already?
Gonna add that the up/down stairs through the roots just meant that I'd make stairs down into the earth and mine a home there. No matter if there are actual roots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would it be possible with the upcoming version to turn the victim of stings into trees made of meat that produce the offspring for the wasp? Pretty sure the producing offspring part is possible, dunno about turning the victim into a tree. Offspring loyalty still questionable...
No idea really, never tried modding. Seems like there's far more possibilities than I thought at first, maybe I might look into it some day.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »

Yeah, you lost me at trees made of meat...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »

Unless how transformations work has been changed, you can only transform creatures into other creatures. You would have to settle for making a custom 'meat tree' creature.

Creating offspring is possible in a sort of way, but in the current version they will either behave like mindless zombies or retain their spawner's loyalties, depending on how they are set up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: April 23, 2014, 03:19:29 pm »

I actually made a parasitic wasp creature that reproduces by laying eggs in large animals. Like people. Still very buggy; currently the best I've come up with is transforming the victim into the "offspring" of the wasp, which neither kills the victim in a spectacularly cruel manner nor creates a new creature. I've had problems getting creatures spawned from parts that fall off and are resurrected/reanimated not wanting to get along with their parents (the wasp that stung the victim that they emerge from)

A way to produce entirely new creatures by having them emerge from body parts would be awesome for this purpose. Currently there is no way to get new bodyparts on a creature except to transform them into another creature/caste that has the desired body parts. We just can't have proper evil parasitic monsters yet  :'(
[/spoiler]
Would it be possible with the upcoming version to turn the victim of stings into trees made of meat that produce the offspring for the wasp? Pretty sure the producing offspring part is possible, dunno about turning the victim into a tree. Offspring loyalty still questionable...
No idea really, never tried modding. Seems like there's far more possibilities than I thought at first, maybe I might look into it some day.

Uhh... no. :o
There is no way to turn a creature into a plant, made of meat or not, and I highly doubt the new version is going to have one, somehow. Even then, the fruit the tree produces would not be valid targets for reanimation/resurrection because they're just inanimate food stuff rather than corpses/body parts of a living creature. If you mean turning them into a creature called a tree or something with body parts that rot and fall off to be resurrected, that's exactly what I tried, the offspring most certainly do not get along with their mum.

Technically, DFhack can do practically everything we want. But resorting to DFhack for everything is silly, especially for those of us who don't have a damn clue how to write a script.
I make Spellcrafts!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: April 23, 2014, 05:20:10 pm »

Which now pitches me headlong down the rabbit hole of plant  growth allegiances.

I imagine throwing an orange into the tree it grew from, "killing" said orange, and watching as all of the orange trees, oranges and orange products descend into a loyalty cascade.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: April 23, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:54 pm »

Spoiler: Oz (click to show/hide)

Can't wait until we can get fruit-chucking in adventure mode, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 748