Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2168605 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10440 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

The last devlog killed all the expectation I had for a release in the next weeks.

How? Was your expectation of debug time somehow different than the one the devlog put forward?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: April 25, 2014, 05:32:59 pm »

If you ask me, we'll end up with DF2014 by the first week of may, or, if we're really lucky, the end of April.
Stop right there, wanna-be Egyptians.
Extended Signature
Steam
Let's Play Victoria II
I don't come here much anymore. PM me if you want to ask me something, but don't expect a fast reply.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »

You do realize we're talking issues, right? Crashes, gamebreaking bugs and stuff?

We'll be lucky if it gets done this summer...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:32 pm »

The last devlog killed all the expectation I had for a release in the next weeks.

How? Was your expectation of debug time somehow different than the one the devlog put forward?

I was expecting something positive like "Well guys, there only some bugs left. I will do some cleaning and make a release soon. It will be fun, he he he"

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »

And then the release drops and everyone's all excited and tries it out, has some fun, waits until the round of bug fixing and low hanging fruit is done over the next few months, then gets bored and starts hyping themselves up for the next major release 2-3 years away... -.-

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: April 25, 2014, 10:36:23 pm »

And then the release drops and everyone's all excited and tries it out, has some fun, waits until the round of bug fixing and low hanging fruit is done over the next few months, then gets bored and starts hyping themselves up for the next major release 2-3 years away... -.-

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

I don't understand. What about it? :S

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »

Content updates to note are 0.34.08, 0.34.06, 0.31.19, 0.31.17 and 0.31.13. Look at the time those took.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:29 pm »

While at it, Pi Is Exactly 3.

It will be when magic gets implemented and wizards can alter universal and mathematical constants.
The World Without Knifebear A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: April 26, 2014, 04:27:57 am »

It will be fun, he he he"

Ahahaha!  Nailed it.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:57 am »

Content updates to note are 0.34.08, 0.34.06, 0.31.19, 0.31.17 and 0.31.13. Look at the time those took.
So?
I seen you already tried to "prove" that major releases do not take that long. Reality says otherwise. In fact, I would be not surprised if next major release would beat current record. For certain it will not be short.

It will be when magic gets implemented and wizards can alter universal and mathematical constants.
And then everyone will die horribly (or not horribly, some of these are so fast you will not feel anything) as soon as first magic user uses his powers.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: April 26, 2014, 06:58:22 am »

I seen you already tried to "prove" that major releases do not take that long. Reality says otherwise. In fact, I would be not surprised if next major release would beat current record. For certain it will not be short.
It's true that major releases take a long time (this release has already set a new record, taking longer than 0.31) - Putnam was saying that the bugfixing period before a major release (which we're currently in) has never taken over a month.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: April 26, 2014, 07:35:55 am »

I'm still saying early to mid June just because. My guts tell me that this version has bugs that will require that much and also the optimization part that is no small when you consider the dynamic and live world we are getting. Of course I hope it gets done earlier but whatever time it takes it's fine.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: April 26, 2014, 08:31:46 am »

At this point Toady could literally release it at any time.
Whether that would be a good idea is up to him, of course.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:09 am »

At this point Toady could literally release it at any time.
Whether that would be a good idea is up to him, of course.

That's a comforting thought.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 748