Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714648 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10500 on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »

Before you vanish toady, quick question that I was just about to ask anyway: Can player adventurers, like outsiders with no affiliation to any entity, claim an abandoned site, and if they do who will be the civ and site entity in control of that site? The most recent ones before it was abandoned, or will a new one be created with the adventurer as the leader?

Thanks for the response to our questions, by the way!

If I remember, you can claim the site if somebody else is there for you to claim it at, and it would be your own entity with you as the leader.  You can pass it along or claim it under another entity, but it still needs an entity.  I haven't yet done you claiming a position in an existing entity (held or not), which is what you'd be doing if you tried to use the old entity.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Malimar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:04 pm »

With the huge number of new plants, will the seed limit be lowered or allowed to be changed by the player? 200 seeds x 17 crops is already over 3000 items; I can see a fortress easily accumulating more seeds than every other kind of item combined with the new plants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »

Before you vanish toady, quick question that I was just about to ask anyway: Can player adventurers, like outsiders with no affiliation to any entity, claim an abandoned site, and if they do who will be the civ and site entity in control of that site? The most recent ones before it was abandoned, or will a new one be created with the adventurer as the leader?

Thanks for the response to our questions, by the way!

If I remember, you can claim the site if somebody else is there for you to claim it at, and it would be your own entity with you as the leader.  You can pass it along or claim it under another entity, but it still needs an entity.  I haven't yet done you claiming a position in an existing entity (held or not), which is what you'd be doing if you tried to use the old entity.

Ah, alright then. Thanks!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: April 30, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »

Quote from: PeridexisErrant
I'm pretty sure that the most potentially-problematic part is that DF can be redistributed if none of the accompanying files are modified, and the pack has different init settings and Phoebus graphics installed by default.  An argument can be made that this is not unusual or in the latter case replacing instead of changing the files... but it's potentially dodgy.

Is this kind of change a problem?

I don't have a problem with pack distributions in general, and tweaks to the init files etc. are part of that and it's usually fine.  I don't want things attributed to us that aren't ours (graphics/mods etc.), so it's best when people are clear about what they are doing.

Got it, keep attribution clear and it's OK.  Thanks, Toady!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:58 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
In adventure mode, can you grab things that arent equipped on you like branches in mid-jump? This is essential for something I want to try when the new release comes out.

Climbable tiles can be grabbed mid-jump.  It's not always successful (I think it looks at the regular climb difficulty for the tile and increases it).  Since you mentioned equipment, I'm not sure if you were talking about tiles though -- branches are a tile to me, but if you were talking about items, it doesn't let you do that at the moment.  Eventually you'll need to be able to do things like jump vertically and grab an item or even pull a lever or something, but we haven't entered that time yet.

You did mention jumping between two branches on a tree in the devlog, but what I'm thinking of trying to do is brachiating, or swinging from branch to branch. I'll probably just wait for the release to see how things work.

Oh hey, a random thought I just had. Would it be possible to add item clouds as a syndrome effect? Though I hear you had it be used as an attack of sorts in the devlog.

Edit: Though if you want to respond to my response as well, that's fine.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:06:02 am by smjjames »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:52 pm »

Item clouds are a material emission exactly like dragonfire, magma crab basalt rocks and FB dust.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: May 01, 2014, 12:19:10 am »

"Tree lighting". It took me a moment to realize the dev log was talking about sunlight passing through tree branches, and not a new yule-time dwarven tradition involving magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:08 am »

"Tree lighting". It took me a moment to realize the dev log was talking about sunlight passing through tree branches, and not a new yule-time dwarven tradition involving magma.

And thusly were all the great celebrations of yore born.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:20 am »

In adventure mode, can you grab things that arent equipped on you like branches in mid-jump? This is essential for something I want to try when the new release comes out.

Climbable tiles can be grabbed mid-jump.  It's not always successful (I think it looks at the regular climb difficulty for the tile and increases it).  Since you mentioned equipment, I'm not sure if you were talking about tiles though -- branches are a tile to me, but if you were talking about items, it doesn't let you do that at the moment.  Eventually you'll need to be able to do things like jump vertically and grab an item or even pull a lever or something, but we haven't entered that time yet.
Ral, Ral, Ral of the forest, watch out for that elf!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: May 01, 2014, 12:37:59 am »

Ral, Ral, Ral of the forest, watch out for that elf!

Why did I get the immediate mental image of Ral Zarek and Nissa Revane..?

Anyhow, how will the vast number of new plants' seeds be kept under control? Are some plants just not generated in a world?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: May 01, 2014, 04:40:20 am »

Thanks Toady.
I have no idea why I left the sentient part in there, but the question was basically if a fruit was made of meat (as can potentially be modded in), could say, an adventure mode character it eat if said character doesn't eat meat raw. (Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).
I guess the question was of both ethics and diets, so I got my answer.

Now, I wonder how we can turn the fact that materials get checked when eating to our advantage... or is it a disadvantage? (Cloth cookies, anyone?)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

discohorse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: May 01, 2014, 04:49:32 am »

(Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).

You know I think the Elves' will eat the meat of a sentient. But I think even they would shy away from eating sentient meat.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:43 am »

(Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).

You know I think the Elves' will eat the meat of a sentient. But I think even they would shy away from eating sentient meat.

Now, now. The meat of a dog is dog meat. The meat of a human is human meat. The meat of a cow is beef. The meat of a sentient is sentient meat. Which really does sound fishy.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: May 01, 2014, 05:41:28 am »

nono, this is sentient meat.

what you are describing is the meat of sentients. ;)

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: May 01, 2014, 05:44:35 am »

Thanks a lot for the answers Toady!
I'm getting pretty excited about this next release.

[I had a question, and then I removed it, so that's what this post is doing here.]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:48:39 am by Kumis »
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 748