Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1824642 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10515 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:58 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
In adventure mode, can you grab things that arent equipped on you like branches in mid-jump? This is essential for something I want to try when the new release comes out.

Climbable tiles can be grabbed mid-jump.  It's not always successful (I think it looks at the regular climb difficulty for the tile and increases it).  Since you mentioned equipment, I'm not sure if you were talking about tiles though -- branches are a tile to me, but if you were talking about items, it doesn't let you do that at the moment.  Eventually you'll need to be able to do things like jump vertically and grab an item or even pull a lever or something, but we haven't entered that time yet.

You did mention jumping between two branches on a tree in the devlog, but what I'm thinking of trying to do is brachiating, or swinging from branch to branch. I'll probably just wait for the release to see how things work.

Oh hey, a random thought I just had. Would it be possible to add item clouds as a syndrome effect? Though I hear you had it be used as an attack of sorts in the devlog.

Edit: Though if you want to respond to my response as well, that's fine.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:06:02 am by smjjames »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:52 pm »

Item clouds are a material emission exactly like dragonfire, magma crab basalt rocks and FB dust.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: May 01, 2014, 12:19:10 am »

"Tree lighting". It took me a moment to realize the dev log was talking about sunlight passing through tree branches, and not a new yule-time dwarven tradition involving magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:08 am »

"Tree lighting". It took me a moment to realize the dev log was talking about sunlight passing through tree branches, and not a new yule-time dwarven tradition involving magma.

And thusly were all the great celebrations of yore born.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Soul Gems and Magic Rings: A Potent Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:20 am »

In adventure mode, can you grab things that arent equipped on you like branches in mid-jump? This is essential for something I want to try when the new release comes out.

Climbable tiles can be grabbed mid-jump.  It's not always successful (I think it looks at the regular climb difficulty for the tile and increases it).  Since you mentioned equipment, I'm not sure if you were talking about tiles though -- branches are a tile to me, but if you were talking about items, it doesn't let you do that at the moment.  Eventually you'll need to be able to do things like jump vertically and grab an item or even pull a lever or something, but we haven't entered that time yet.
Ral, Ral, Ral of the forest, watch out for that elf!
The Cyan Menace
Quote(s), Mafia records (6/12)

Currently running a Looter's Delight, with a publicly sourced loot table. You can contribute, see spoilers for how!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: May 01, 2014, 12:37:59 am »

Ral, Ral, Ral of the forest, watch out for that elf!

Why did I get the immediate mental image of Ral Zarek and Nissa Revane..?

Anyhow, how will the vast number of new plants' seeds be kept under control? Are some plants just not generated in a world?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: May 01, 2014, 04:40:20 am »

Thanks Toady.
I have no idea why I left the sentient part in there, but the question was basically if a fruit was made of meat (as can potentially be modded in), could say, an adventure mode character it eat if said character doesn't eat meat raw. (Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).
I guess the question was of both ethics and diets, so I got my answer.

Now, I wonder how we can turn the fact that materials get checked when eating to our advantage... or is it a disadvantage? (Cloth cookies, anyone?)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

discohorse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: May 01, 2014, 04:49:32 am »

(Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).

You know I think the Elves' will eat the meat of a sentient. But I think even they would shy away from eating sentient meat.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:43 am »

(Or can't eat sentient meat, but can eat fruits, say).

You know I think the Elves' will eat the meat of a sentient. But I think even they would shy away from eating sentient meat.

Now, now. The meat of a dog is dog meat. The meat of a human is human meat. The meat of a cow is beef. The meat of a sentient is sentient meat. Which really does sound fishy.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: May 01, 2014, 05:41:28 am »

nono, this is sentient meat.

what you are describing is the meat of sentients. ;)

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: May 01, 2014, 05:44:35 am »

Thanks a lot for the answers Toady!
I'm getting pretty excited about this next release.

[I had a question, and then I removed it, so that's what this post is doing here.]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:48:39 am by Kumis »
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • On hiatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: May 01, 2014, 08:55:41 am »

nono, this is sentient meat.

what you are describing is the meat of sentients. ;)
No, that still results in the meat of a sentient.  Sentient meat would be trying to grab your fork and escape.
On hiatus. Feel free to adopt or update:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: May 01, 2014, 10:06:14 am »

Item clouds are a material emission exactly like dragonfire, magma crab basalt rocks and FB dust.

I did say it was a random thought.

Crazy idea (well, this is DF anyway) that I had last night. Could you use item clouds to have a dwarf (or some other creature) breathe anvils with the item cloud? If not, then what are item clouds limited to (like what things can't an item cloud make/use)?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:11:06 am by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: May 01, 2014, 10:08:44 am »

Ahh yes-- Biovitasteaks.
Of course. My bad.

Eaten alive, and raw. Because things you kill yourself always taste better.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: May 01, 2014, 10:09:44 am »

Ahh yes-- Biovitasteaks.
Of course. My bad.

Eaten alive, and raw. Because things you kill yourself always taste better.

[FURIOUS MODDING]
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 748