Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714561 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10530 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »

IIRC better taverns, maybe fortress mode.

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »

out of curiosity, I wonder what Toady's planning to add after this release.
IIRC better taverns, maybe fortress mode.
We don't have fortress mode yet?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: May 01, 2014, 07:29:49 pm »

Not quite.  As it stands, we have only a Fortress Mode simulation. 

Eventually, we will play AS the Fortress itself in a semi-omniscient first person method.  The major stumbling block is going to be how to relay the ever expanding experience of actually being an active fortress in a manner that does not devolve the players objective reality outside of game.

Almost everything listed above is purely speculative.  And FUN.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »

I think he meant active taverns in/for fortress mode.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: May 01, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »

out of curiosity, I wonder what Toady's planning to add after this release.
I think army ark and fort mode tavern's have both been things that Toady has said he's excited about that could be done as soon as the next big release. But he isn't making plans for that, and won't until near the end of the bug fixing release cycle.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:54 pm »

whatever is after net release, maybe he can put in a tiny little thing into arena mode called quivers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:22 am »

You can spawn items in arena mode already--

Getting creatures to equip them is another matter entirely-- but placing objects is already supported, IIRC.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: May 02, 2014, 10:31:35 am »

You can spawn items in arena mode already--

Getting creatures to equip them is another matter entirely-- but placing objects is already supported, IIRC.

You can't place something in the arena that isn't available on the list, and quivers aren't on the list, niether are backpacks for that matter. You could use one of those adventure mode mods or make a reaction to make quivers, but like wierd said, getting them to equip them is another matter entirely.

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:24 am »

In a previous devlog, you talked about Military Dwarves running from the enemy if they are cowardly enough. Will it be possible to "Straighten out" and discipline the more weak-willed Dwarves in training so that they become a little hardier in combat?

If a creature experiences a morale failure where he wants to run away in No-Quarter combat, but any route that he could use to run away is blocked by enemies, what happens? Does he attempt to surrender again, turn into a weeping mess, or will the "Cornered Rat still bite the cat"?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:10:10 am by Verdant_Squire »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: May 02, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »

Will it be possible to "Straighten out" and discipline the more weak-willed Dwarves in training so that they become a little hardier in combat?

There haven't been any changes to Fortress Mode training mechanics for this release.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: May 02, 2014, 02:34:27 pm »

Will it be possible to "Straighten out" and discipline the more weak-willed Dwarves in training so that they become a little hardier in combat?

There haven't been any changes to Fortress Mode training mechanics for this release.

Verdant meant whether there are any ways to strengthen up their courage or whether you can.

Also, while it's true that the standard training mechanics haven't changed (aside from possible tweaks related to the new dual-weilding mechanics), there could be things outside of your standard training mechanics that can help this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:40:08 pm by smjjames »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10541 on: May 02, 2014, 03:09:06 pm »

Maybe the "Doesn't really care about anything anymore." trait helps? Or does Toady refrain from mixing stuff from the old and new brain?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:11:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: May 02, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »

Also, much has changed in the Dwarven mind for this release.  Necessarily, how the mind reacts to the world around it has changed as well.

What we haven't seen yet, is how the mind reacts to things. This may have to wait for !!SCIENCE!! after the release. We may or may not see conventional military training working on a unit's battle hardiness in some ways.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:20 pm »

They say (I'm citing every military institution without evidence, yes) that no amount of training can ever prepare one's mind for warfare. It would seem silly for dwarves to be any different.

I'd expect it to be a separate trait from "getting used to tragedy." That's not being courageous or accepting and ignoring danger, just being apathetic to loss.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: May 02, 2014, 07:39:00 pm »

Maybe the "Doesn't really care about anything anymore." trait helps? Or does Toady refrain from mixing stuff from the old and new brain?

Besides the new trees, news coming by caravan, continuity of the world, and possibly 3D veins and tunnels, the new personality types mean we could see some interesting things happen in fortress mode. From what it said, the dwarven AI has changed a lot as a result.

With the changes made to the world, are we going to see people retain their titles after leaving the map? For example, the Outpost Liason will retain his or her post after leaving the map after the caravan?

This would be really good.

They say (I'm citing every military institution without evidence, yes) that no amount of training can ever prepare one's mind for warfare. It would seem silly for dwarves to be any different.

I'd expect it to be a separate trait from "getting used to tragedy." That's not being courageous or accepting and ignoring danger, just being apathetic to loss.

I think dwarves might end up fleeing combat if it gets very bad, unless they are either very strong willed or they have seen enough violence not to really care any more.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 748