Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715062 times)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10815 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:56 am »

Either way, now we can add proper obstacle courses for military dwarves on their way to the training room.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: June 01, 2014, 11:55:57 am »

Any word on how jumping/climbing will effect hauling? We already know any 13 year old can drag an elephant in a lead cage by herself, but can she climb walls and leap chasms with it as well?

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: June 01, 2014, 12:29:11 pm »

If we were to mod the game to allow goblins or kobolds to be played in adventure mode, would we spawn in the respective sites?
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:49 pm »

Will we get a worldgen option to enable allowing all rejections at the start of worldgen instead of 6 hours of chugging through rejections later? There are some worldgen setting configurations that you can't aim for a desired effect and still disable the rejection parameters like you can with other stuff

Will adventure mode get multi-drop, multi-pickup, multi-select on string(during trading) select all (during trading), and filter on string so it's much less of a chore?

Will there be an adv mode init option to have an items weight in urists added to the items name as a prefix or suffix? Weight becomes a very critical issue early on and remains so throughout.

Will the dorf mode trade depot menu get a select all key so just throwing all your hauled stuff into the trade isn't a finger annihilating nightmare if you made crafts?

Will we finally be able to re-stack things in adventure mode so we no longer have a pile of Eighty, 1 gold coin - minted 765
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:50:19 pm by Azure »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: June 01, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure the answer to nearly all of those is no
but there is a plugin that allows you to select all on trade depot (or that could be in vanilla, I can't really recall)
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:48 pm »

Will we get a worldgen option to enable allowing all rejections at the start of worldgen instead of 6 hours of chugging through rejections later? There are some worldgen setting configurations that you can't aim for a desired effect and still disable the rejection parameters like you can with other stuff
Things that aren't yet generated can't be rejected based on the results of that said generation, so you can't strictly reject worlds before generating them, no matter how good your code is. As far as I'm aware each rejection parameter kicks in as soon as the world is generated to the point that it can assess that parameter -- so, for instance, partial and complete edge ocean requirements reject the world as soon as it's done with generating geographic height info. Is there any particular rejection parameter you have in mind that could be judged earlier in the world generation process than it currently is? Or, keeping in mind that settings that influence how the world is likely to turn out and settings that reject worlds based on not actually turning out as desired need to be adjusted together in order to avoid conflicts, are there particular settings you have in mind that cause rejections that the corresponding rejection settings can't be adjusted to fit?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: June 01, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »

Things that aren't yet generated can't be rejected based on the results of that said generation, so you can't strictly reject worlds before generating them, no matter how good your code is. As far as I'm aware each rejection parameter kicks in as soon as the world is generated to the point that it can assess that parameter -- so, for instance, partial and complete edge ocean requirements reject the world as soon as it's done with generating geographic height info. Is there any particular rejection parameter you have in mind that could be judged earlier in the world generation process than it currently is? Or, keeping in mind that settings that influence how the world is likely to turn out and settings that reject worlds based on not actually turning out as desired need to be adjusted together in order to avoid conflicts, are there particular settings you have in mind that cause rejections that the corresponding rejection settings can't be adjusted to fit?
I think Azure was referring to making the message that allows you to ignore rejections appear when asked for (or having that option before generating) instead of having to wait through a certain number of rejected worlds (which can take a long time in some cases).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: June 01, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

Quote from: Dirst
Can an adventurer irritate a faction sufficiently that even when it offloads into an army, that army decided to pursue the adventurer across the world map?

So there are different ways people can offload -- they can be at a site, or they can be in an army.  The armies have guards around their camps and they can break up into coordinated subunits during attacks, but while they are in motion, they don't understand how to dispatch units for dynamic tasks -- certainly that'll be changed in the future, and there's a master/subordinate framework for it, but I don't have the little independent thought loop necessary for them yet to check incidents out and so on.  Individual members of the army that are loaded can respond to your rep.  The site is different -- it has the necessary thinking, and they can dispatch new army posse thingies with the intention of hunting you down specifically if they think you deserve it.
Thank you for all the tireless work, Toady!

What I had in mind was an adventurer being chased by a mob with torches and pitchforks (to make for a silly example).  The adventurer just runs for it, and at some point is far enough ahead that the mob becomes a world-map army.  Assuming the mob hadn't already given up the chase, it's now a strategic army with the goal of attacking the adventurer.  Just curious if it would go to your old location, then wander home... or if it would keep on your heels throughout the game like the paperboy in Better Off Dead.  Extra super bonus points if the individuals peeled off at their own tolerances ("I gotta get home and tend the fields."  "It's been a long time since I had a drink."  "Oh crap! I left the stone on!"), but that doesn't sound like the upcoming version.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: June 01, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »

I think Azure was referring to making the message that allows you to ignore rejections appear when asked for (or having that option before generating) instead of having to wait through a certain number of rejected worlds (which can take a long time in some cases).
Hmm, I may have misread that... I kinda thought all the rejections could be selectively turned off by altering their settings though?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: June 01, 2014, 03:56:00 pm »

If we were to mod the game to allow goblins or kobolds to be played in adventure mode, would we spawn in the respective sites?

In the current one, if you mod them to build cities (haven't tried with normal Kobold sites though), then you'll spawn in the respective site for the civilization.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: June 01, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm booty blasted about a maxed volcano parameter in smaller maps with unsuitable volcanism generation, high number of civs counts in addition to other tweaks that end up making unsuitable maps until I get the option to allow all rejects and then I get something magical. I have to let it chug for about 6 hours+ until I can get it to ignore all rejects. And if it crashes while it's saving that world after I accept it well it's back to square 1 and having to let it chug overnight.

Furthermore,
Will we be able to activate and configure stockpile-esque filters on containers in adv mode to auto put something into a container? Like an alder chest set to store meat products from butchering, another for bones/hooves/horn/skull, a bag for hides/hair
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:13:39 pm by Azure »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: June 01, 2014, 08:32:00 pm »

Toady has withdrawn from society!

Toady has claimed a craftstoad's workshop!

Toady sketches pictures of a Dwarf Fortress update.

Toady sketches pictures of a bugswatter.

We are planning to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of next month.

Toady works furiously!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: June 01, 2014, 08:39:16 pm »

Quote from: Dear Leader
I suspect that many of the faster usability ideas will make it in during the bug-fix period and during the job priorities work that'll follow this release.

Toady, what are you envisioning for the job priorities redo? What will it entail, and how will it work?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: June 01, 2014, 09:12:07 pm »

Wait, so the next version is going to be released on 1st July? Another month to go?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:41 pm »

Wait, so the next version is going to be released on 1st July? Another month to go?

Aye or maybe a little earlier or a little later. c: (I'm hoping for a little earlier)

Toady, will it be possible for hamlets/forest retreats etc or regions of land to become cursed?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:10:54 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 748