Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733560 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10830 on: June 01, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »

Wow, a semisolid release deadline and he's caught up on combing through the Suggestions forum? Cool beans!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: June 01, 2014, 10:22:55 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
It's almost here! After over two years in the making, we plan to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of July.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quick, someone go bang the tankards! The hype train is approaching the station!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: June 01, 2014, 11:45:43 pm »

Will we get a worldgen option to enable allowing all rejections at the start of worldgen instead of 6 hours of chugging through rejections later? There are some worldgen setting configurations that you can't aim for a desired effect and still disable the rejection parameters like you can with other stuff

Will adventure mode get multi-drop, multi-pickup, multi-select on string(during trading) select all (during trading), and filter on string so it's much less of a chore?

Will there be an adv mode init option to have an items weight in urists added to the items name as a prefix or suffix? Weight becomes a very critical issue early on and remains so throughout.

Will the dorf mode trade depot menu get a select all key so just throwing all your hauled stuff into the trade isn't a finger annihilating nightmare if you made crafts?

Will we finally be able to re-stack things in adventure mode so we no longer have a pile of Eighty, 1 gold coin - minted 765
Will we be able to activate and configure stockpile-esque filters on containers in adv mode to auto put something into a container? Like an alder chest set to store meat products from butchering, another for bones/hooves/horn/skull, a bag for hides/hair

None of these have changed in the upcoming version.  These may be fair game later on, but:
[...] specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.

Quote from: Dear Leader
I suspect that many of the faster usability ideas will make it in during the bug-fix period and during the job priorities work that'll follow this release.

Toady, what are you envisioning for the job priorities redo? What will it entail, and how will it work?

It's been touched on:
Job priorities [...] involves rewriting the entire dwarf AI, but it's more than job priorities ... it's actually rewriting it to allow all kinds of things, to get them to think a little bit about whatever you might think of, so they can priorities things like parties better and their little personal life stuff along with their jobs, and make it less of a strict hierarchy that it runs through. It should be really beneficial but it's a big rewrite [...]
Job priorities, whatever that ends up meaning, are coming just after the release and bug fixes, so we should see large changes to how the job queue works in the not too distant future.  What that'll do for dwarven autonomy is anybody's guess at this point.

Specific details might not be available until Toady starts actually working on it.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:53 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
It's almost here! After over two years in the making, we plan to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of July.

Quick, someone go bang the tankards! The hype train is approaching the station!
I'll get the booze! Let's get this update staaarteed!
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:17 am »

Wow, a semisolid release deadline and he's caught up on combing through the Suggestions forum? Cool beans!
Catching up with the suggestions alone is madness. Nice one Toady!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:13 am »

Did someone say "imminent release"?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:51 am »

IIRC that one made it so if you are covered in rain/sweat/blood it will evaporate eventually, instead of covering you forever and providing an infinite source of drinking... liquid.

Ohh... okay. Was worded a bit oddly, sorry for misunderstanding. Damn, thought that meant wells were fixed. Originally told some fellow players about the "fixed contaminant drinking" news and they were overjoyed. Whoops. >_> LOL

It was also my understanding that the classic fantasy plants like plump helmets, pig tail, prickleberries and the like were being removed from the game and replaced with real world plants? Please say I misunderstood this one, also... o_o

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:02 am »

IIRC that one made it so if you are covered in rain/sweat/blood it will evaporate eventually, instead of covering you forever and providing an infinite source of drinking... liquid.

Ohh... okay. Was worded a bit oddly, sorry for misunderstanding. Damn, thought that meant wells were fixed. Originally told some fellow players about the "fixed contaminant drinking" news and they were overjoyed. Whoops. >_> LOL

It was also my understanding that the classic fantasy plants like plump helmets, pig tail, prickleberries and the like were being removed from the game and replaced with real world plants? Please say I misunderstood this one, also... o_o

Quote from: smjjames
Now that we have real world fruits, etc, what will happen to the other ones (aside from the underground crops) which were basically analogs to real world crops? Like will bloated tubers become potatoes or something?

That's an open question.  My thought was to scrap them, since the real-world ones are more interesting and I want to use that stronger diverse base of mechanics and potential mechanics as a place to generate random ones from eventually.  Generated plants can have more intricate ties to generated mythology than the made-up plants without constraining the game, I think, and it allows for more possibilities (and our made-up plants are crappy enough that they could all have easily been generated without decreasing the quality at all...).

All the same, they could end up dying a slow lingering death instead, and some might survive indefinitely.

They're not gone yet, but might in the future. Note that this is for the aboveground plants only, since the underground ones don't really have real-world equivalents. Emphasis on the bolded part.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10838 on: June 02, 2014, 03:59:35 am »

I think it's for underground plants too, since they'll probably be replaced by proceduraly generated ones in the far future.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:13 am »

I think it's for underground plants too, since they'll probably be replaced by proceduraly generated ones in the far future.

I very much doubt that. For one the underground plants are far more ingrained in the DF culture than the aboveground ones. Also, having some familiar items in various categories throughout the game will only become more important as more and more randomized content is added in. Having to start each new game by looking through the details of all the crops (and metals, animals, etc) to find out which does what would become a nuisance quite fast. Sure, it's been stated as a future goal to have the option to play a completely random world if one wants to, but there'll still be some stock content for those that want it.

Sure, some of them might be touched upon a bit (cave wheat for instance could easily be grouped into the category of "crappy"), but you seriously can't mean to say plump helmets will be going anywhere ^^

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:53:15 am by Manveru Taurënér »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:35 am »

Well, I'm not against randomized metal, for example. Each player should have to rely on the "general knowledges" of the Dwarves themselves, and experiment for the unknown metals. This could be fun (particularly with anything related to magma and floodgates)

// 1816 most online...on bay12forums stat...lol ^^
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:29:55 am by Inarius »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:11 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
Amazing !

Will it be possible to access the Legends mode without having to abandon/retire a fortress/adventurer before ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:28:04 am by Robsoie »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: June 02, 2014, 09:05:15 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
Amazing !

Will it be possible to access the Legends mode without having to abandon/retire a fortress/adventurer before ?

Quote from: tyrannus007
Can you make Legends Mode accessible from within Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode, so you don't have to abandon fort to see it?

It's probably legitimate to have some kind of restricted mode, but being able to see everything would spoil stuff, including outside threats to your fortress, vampires and whatever else.

Worth noting that we'll now be able to ask the liaison about what's going on in the outside world, so that's one step forward to that end ^^

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: June 02, 2014, 11:13:47 am »

Are there any plans to implement a plant domestication system similar to the animal domestication system that exists at present? For example, wild plants obtained by gathering could be gradually cultivated over many generations, with yields improving over time, towards a peak at domestication, and progress towards domestication could be charted on a screen similar to the one that now exists for animal domestication.

I think it could raise some interesting gameplay mechanics for procedurally generated plants in future versions, and add a more strategic element to farming (what with greater importance of seed management, etc.). It might also be possible, if difficult and requiring even more micromanagement, to connect seeds to their parent plants so that players could select plants for their desired traits in much the same way as they can at present with animals, by culling the specimens that lack those traits (or in this case, cooking or dumping their seeds).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:57 am »

Quote from: tyrannus007
Can you make Legends Mode accessible from within Dwarf Mode or Adventure Mode, so you don't have to abandon fort to see it?

It's probably legitimate to have some kind of restricted mode, but being able to see everything would spoil stuff, including outside threats to your fortress, vampires and whatever else.

Worth noting that we'll now be able to ask the liaison about what's going on in the outside world, so that's one step forward to that end ^^
Thanks, i'm really looking forward to the ability to get informations about the outside world from the liaison. It was my reason to get to Legends mode during a Fortress/Adventure game as i was noticing all those civs and characters around but without anyone telling me anything about them.

Can't wait for July to come :D
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 748