Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3750187 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10905 on: June 09, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

Toady, are there plans to define a power location for player (and non-player) forts, perhaps the office/study/throneroom of the highest rank dwarf?

Probably not, since that would be a gross hack and the "power location" system is a temporary one:
Which site claims from which entities take precedence in a given site should be pretty complicated later on, but it's not time for more complications, so the recognized claim (for purposes of diplomacy and site disputes and displacement after invasions and all that) is just based at this point on who is physically holding the main building (whether that's a keep or a mead hall).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: June 09, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

I was listening to the last DF talk from 2013 again. Do all the changes to the combat system that Toady talks about still apply for this release?

Why wouldn't they?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:09 am »

I was listening to the last DF talk from 2013 again. Do all the changes to the combat system that Toady talks about still apply for this release?

Why wouldn't they?

Yeah, if a feature was described as implemented for the next release, that still applies.  No combat stuff has been scaled back that I remember (although some of the "maybe"s ended up being "no").  If there's a question about a specific feature, we can provide more details.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:53:51 am by Footkerchief »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: June 09, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

Yeah, if a feature was described as implemented for the next release, that still applies.  No combat stuff has been scaled back that I remember (although some of the "maybe"s ended up being "no").  If there's a question about a specific feature, we can provide more details.

The features I was thinking of were things like the messages that would come up and the arrow system e.g. a pulsing arrow appears with a message like "Goblin levels an attack at your right lower arm with his iron dagger". There was also the stuff about being able to choose how you performed an attack e.g. whether you wanted your attack/swing/stab to be "wild", "heavy", "quick" and so on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »

Yes, all very definitely in.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

Will you be able to find fallen trees acting as natural bridges over, say, streams and minor rivers, as often happens in real life?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: June 10, 2014, 12:29:27 am »

Will you be able to find fallen trees acting as natural bridges over, say, streams and minor rivers, as often happens in real life?
No, because fallen trees become log items, not terrain features.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10912 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:23 am »

Which is sad, because that would be awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: June 10, 2014, 02:06:42 am »

Can retired adventurers be entombed by their civ after death? If so, do their worldly possessions and signature gear end up inside the tomb as well?
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:37 am »

I can see the tomb honoring the hero who killed most everyone with the stereotypical pig-tial fiber sock with that question.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:59 am »

Can retired adventurers be entombed by their civ after death? If so, do their worldly possessions and signature gear end up inside the tomb as well?

Burial won't happen in the next version yet.

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus

Also, will monarchs and law-givers that die post-worldgen be entombed/mummified during play? And, do you plan to eventually allow the practice of mummification (if it is a practice) during Fort mode?

There's no handling of post-world-gen burial, and I don't have particular plans for how that is going to play out.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: June 10, 2014, 10:39:52 am »

Burial won't happen in the next version yet.

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus

Also, will monarchs and law-givers that die post-worldgen be entombed/mummified during play? And, do you plan to eventually allow the practice of mummification (if it is a practice) during Fort mode?

There's no handling of post-world-gen burial, and I don't have particular plans for how that is going to play out.

Nothing stopping you from making a tomb dedicated to that adventurer in your fort. Minus the body though. Though it would be a memorial rather than a tomb in that case.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: June 10, 2014, 11:49:21 am »

Which is sad, because that would be awesome.
Just to specify, I was referring to trees that fell on their own and in adventure mode in particular, although I suppose one could find these upon embark in fort mode as well.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: June 10, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

I don't think there's been any mention of trees falling on their own.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »

Well, it remains to be seen if Toady ever do something about it, because as it stands it's most likely that any tree that feels for whatever reason becomes logs. Now, I don't know if the process is automatic or there's something to be done first. It could be awesome if a tree felled becomes a placeholder construction with the form of the tree, and then that construction is gradually chopped down to logs.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 748