Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3750905 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10920 on: June 10, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »

Well, it remains to be seen if Toady ever do something about it, because as it stands it's most likely that any tree that feels for whatever reason becomes logs. Now, I don't know if the process is automatic or there's something to be done first. It could be awesome if a tree felled becomes a placeholder construction with the form of the tree, and then that construction is gradually chopped down to logs.
The problem with chopped down trees as temporary constructions, is that makes it hard to make the fall work properly, at least until you have proper moving fortress parts. A 3D rotation of a tree as it falls, while handling obstacles is not trivial to do.  I agree that it'd be awesome though.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: June 10, 2014, 07:11:37 pm »

Can retired adventurers be entombed by their civ after death? If so, do their worldly possessions and signature gear end up inside the tomb as well?

Burial won't happen in the next version yet.

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus

Also, will monarchs and law-givers that die post-worldgen be entombed/mummified during play? And, do you plan to eventually allow the practice of mummification (if it is a practice) during Fort mode?

There's no handling of post-world-gen burial, and I don't have particular plans for how that is going to play out.

Nothing stopping you from making a tomb dedicated to that adventurer in your fort. Minus the body though. Though it would be a memorial rather than a tomb in that case.

You can now build a tomb chamber for adventurers inside your fort, retire from your fort, retrieve bodies with other adventurers and return to fort mode so you can at least haul the body to the built tomb. However, as the adventurer didn't die inside the fort and it's not part of it, it might be currently impossible to appropiately entomb their body. So the question is...

Toady, is it possible to bring a dead body (say, from the wilderness) inside a fortress and memorialize it? Or does it need to be part of the fortress history to do so?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: June 10, 2014, 08:20:06 pm »

As of the current version of DF, it is fully possible to memorialize non-citizens who died on fortress property.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: June 10, 2014, 09:07:59 pm »

As of the current version of DF, it is fully possible to memorialize non-citizens who died on fortress property.

But those non-citizens are required to die, as you said, on fortress property. My question goes more into memorializing someone whose body has been brought inside the fortress, but didn't die inside it. Maybe I can edit phrasing so it's understood like that.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: June 11, 2014, 02:40:38 am »

yeah, even the wagons.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: June 11, 2014, 07:17:01 am »

yeah, even the wagons.
Excellent! That's a weird touch I would like to see continued!

On a more somber note, RIP Wagon ):
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: June 12, 2014, 12:03:09 am »

We're halfway through! :D
If they're gonna keep that rate we really are gonna get our hands on DF2014 in early July, or possibly even this month (though that's not entirely likely, but it can happen).

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:42 am »

With the attack/move split will archers be able to move and reload or attack with melee mid reload?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:15 am »

No.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10929 on: June 12, 2014, 02:41:50 am »

We're halfway through! :D
If they're gonna keep that rate we really are gonna get our hands on DF2014 in early July, or possibly even this month (though that's not entirely likely, but it can happen).
I'm really happy that I was wrong about my earlier 2015 predictions.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:05 am »

So doe Toady saying there are blood-drinking test mean there are going to be limits on things like that to make it harder to cross areas that will not be impossible to? or am I jumping to conclusions?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:22 am »

So doe Toady saying there are blood-drinking test mean there are going to be limits on things like that to make it harder to cross areas that will not be impossible to? or am I jumping to conclusions?

Drinking contaminants has been changed yes, I don't recall any specifics given as to how though. Contaminants will now also evaporate so you won't be covered in rain water blood and stuff (?) forever for example.

Quote from: Devlog 05/12/2014
fixed up evaporation of sweat/tears/etc. so dwarves wouldn't be so clean-happy, changed contaminant drinking, and so on.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:00:53 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:39 am »

Drinking contaminants has been changed yes, I don't recall any specifics given as to how though. Contaminants will now also evaporate so you won't be covered in rain water forever for example.

Quote from: Devlog 05/12/2014
fixed up evaporation of sweat/tears/etc. so dwarves wouldn't be so clean-happy, changed contaminant drinking, and so on.

But water already evaporates and change state depending of the weather; blood is the one that always cling to you, no matter if it's freezing or searing hot.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:17 pm »

Right. I haven't really played adventure mode (but certainly will come the next release), but for some reason I recalled reading of there being some issue with rain water lingering as well. Maybe it was just fixing so you couldn't drink off of your skin and armor and such then??

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44:00 pm »

I hope the tests results are consistent with this: WhatIF 98

That would be awesome :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:53:58 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 748