Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3728778 times)

Mohl

• Bay Watcher
  • L O D S OF E M O N E!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11145 on: July 03, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »

I'm planning on going back to wrestling. especially of the pounce things from trees type. That said:
If I jump from a tree deliberately, will I take hardcore fall damage because I fell more than 0 z-levels? Or will I be able to perfectly tackle things from treetops?
Demanded a farmer give me his gold, he refused, I stabbed him in the throat and asked again. He was much more cooperative.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:40 pm »

I'm planning on going back to wrestling. especially of the pounce things from trees type. That said:
If I jump from a tree deliberately, will I take hardcore fall damage because I fell more than 0 z-levels? Or will I be able to perfectly tackle things from treetops?

I have no idea if you can tackle things from treetops, would be cool if you could draw a weapon and jump on them from the treetops. Though if you miss or you can't actually tackle, you'll take the expected damage that you'd get from falling one z level.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »

Ashandarei?

Where could one obtain said addition? :P
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TH4DW4RFY1]
[NAME:ashandarei:ashandarei]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:19000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:35:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]
I kinda named it for you, ehehe.

It's basically a short sword on a stick, which is because it translates correctly that way. :P It's less effective at stabbing than a spear, but moreso than a sword; it's worse at slashing than a sword, but then again, it's also usable by speardorfs and pointier than a short sword.

I generally give it to dorfs and humans.
Puny mortals. I have transcended the material plane and play manly, raw DF without wimpy 3rd party utility seasonings and tileset spices.

Long live the vanilla*!

*Excluding my additions like ashandarei and blue-crowned conures
*Elitism Brofist*
You, you are allowed on my lawn.

Joking aside though, I see why folks really need the utilities, and when DFHack is available I do have it installed, I just usually don't use it outside of fixing a bug or incomplete feature. (My most used DFHack feature is the siege engine targeting)  I just figure everybody who hasn't tried vanilla should give it at least an hour or two shot. 

There's just something satisfying about knowing you accomplished a task without 3rd party tools.
*rebrofist*

blah blah yada yada NOW FOR THE QUESTION

I have heard of this new "pulping" mechanics. Would, for example, mauls, or unrealistically large hammers, be ideal for pulping? Because they're really sort of useless right now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mohl

• Bay Watcher
  • L O D S OF E M O N E!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:02 pm »

I have no idea if you can tackle things from treetops, would be cool if you could draw a weapon and jump on them from the treetops. Though if you miss or you can't actually tackle, you'll take the expected damage that you'd get from falling one z level.
Well, if I can't tackle people, at least i can stun them by landing on them.
Demanded a farmer give me his gold, he refused, I stabbed him in the throat and asked again. He was much more cooperative.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »

In the same vein as the post above, Necromancers lead insurrections? If so, would both sides turn on them when the Necromancer/s undead minions are raised? When they attack?

I don't think they will, because of their unique allegiance to no civ or entity in particular, other than theirs, which (again, I think) is required to insurrect against something.

I might be wrong.

I have heard of this new "pulping" mechanics. Would, for example, mauls, or unrealistically large hammers, be ideal for pulping? Because they're really sort of useless right now.

That's the idea now, yes. Blunt weapons will be effective to destroy limbs and body parts with sheer crushing force, specially things that don't bleed, cleric-style.

Right now they're quite useful to deal with armored types, but these are limited to invaders at sieges (specially humans and goblins) and certain high-ranking bandits in adventure mode.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

blazing glory

« Reply #11150 on: July 04, 2014, 03:30:34 am »

That's the idea now, yes. Blunt weapons will be effective to destroy limbs and body parts with sheer crushing force, specially things that don't bleed, cleric-style.

Right now they're quite useful to deal with armored types, but these are limited to invaders at sieges (specially humans and goblins) and certain high-ranking bandits in adventure mode.

Hammers will be able to smash limbs?

*Blazing Glory starts getting hyped up about the next DF version*

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11151 on: July 04, 2014, 03:56:05 am »

Considering we get sheathing as a feature will we also get it as an object ?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: July 04, 2014, 04:01:52 am »

It's kind of an abstract sheathing right now, sort of like strapping it to your belt or behind your back or something and automagically have the sheath appear there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: July 04, 2014, 05:23:20 am »

Hammers will be able to smash limbs?

*Blazing Glory starts getting hyped up about the next DF version*
Don't forget that in the next version you'll be able to reaction attack people who are attacking you, so you can manually counter-attack!

[HYPE_INTENSIFIES]
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

[!!HYPE!! INTENSIFIES]
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:24 am »

I wonder how all the changes will be reflected in military sparring sessions.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: July 04, 2014, 07:13:48 pm »

Considering we get sheathing as a feature will we also get it as an object ?

Toady already answered this, and it's a temporary no. It'll be an action, but there's no actual sheath yet, not unlike two handed weapons in Skyrim, which sort of float behind the player's back.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:00 am »

Today and tomorrow will be the only days off work I will have for a month. I bet Toady will release it Monday.

RageBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • This is the link to my stream. Don't click it :^).
« Reply #11158 on: July 05, 2014, 09:37:34 am »

Okay so I went trough the pages for a little bit and I haven't noticed anyone asking this. So my question is, will we be able to join to a side of an army and fight with them? Will there be actual army fights to which we can go and perhaps join?
Apparently as a streamer I must be a sell out. So I'm selling myself here; I do streams.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11159 on: July 05, 2014, 11:00:57 am »

Okay so I went trough the pages for a little bit and I haven't noticed anyone asking this. So my question is, will we be able to join to a side of an army and fight with them? Will there be actual army fights to which we can go and perhaps join?

Not yet. Army fights and village raids are still abstracted and instantaneous. You don't see them impaling things on upright weapons. Or at least that's what Toady answered last time this was asked. Don't know if anything changed during that time.
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 748