Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732730 times)

RageBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • This is the link to my stream. Don't click it :^).
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11160 on: July 05, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »

Okay so I went trough the pages for a little bit and I haven't noticed anyone asking this. So my question is, will we be able to join to a side of an army and fight with them? Will there be actual army fights to which we can go and perhaps join?

Not yet. Army fights and village raids are still abstracted and instantaneous. You don't see them impaling things on upright weapons. Or at least that's what Toady answered last time this was asked. Don't know if anything changed during that time.

So the epic battles are still not yet?
Apparently as a streamer I must be a sell out. So I'm selling myself here; I do streams.

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »

Okay so I went trough the pages for a little bit and I haven't noticed anyone asking this. So my question is, will we be able to join to a side of an army and fight with them? Will there be actual army fights to which we can go and perhaps join?

Not yet. Army fights and village raids are still abstracted and instantaneous. You don't see them impaling things on upright weapons. Or at least that's what Toady answered last time this was asked. Don't know if anything changed during that time.

So the epic battles are still not yet?
Er, not quite.  Many of Toady's more recent devlogs, in particular the 02/08/2014 devlog, seem to indicate that you will be able to witness and take part in town invasion battles.

And a question:
What role do castles and their lords/ladys play in human nations in the next version in regard to the new same-nation site conflict?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: July 05, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »

You guys do know that the answer to (most of) these questions will be 'check in the new version' when it gets released?

Though Toady One will probably answer them anyway just to give a sense of completeness.

blazing glory

« Reply #11163 on: July 05, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »

Will kings and lords and ladies ever have interesting history? Instead of "for 43 years,I was a clothier" we could have hero's that proved themselves in the battlefield.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: July 05, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »

Will kings and lords and ladies ever have interesting history? Instead of "for 43 years,I was a clothier" we could have hero's that proved themselves in the battlefield.
In the next version, you can become the king.
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »

How does that work? Do you declare yourself king, or do you need some of the lords you quested for to vouch for you?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: July 05, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »

How does that work? Do you declare yourself king, or do you need some of the lords you quested for to vouch for you?

We'll just have to figure out the specifics when it gets released.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: July 05, 2014, 05:17:50 pm »

in particular the 02/08/2014 devlog

Now you made me go read all the old devlogs about in-play fighting within sites and personality traits and forts getting conquered by megabeasts in worldgen.  My release hype levels have gotten too damn high.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: July 05, 2014, 05:22:41 pm »

There occasionally are heroes that proved themselves on the battlefield in the cuirrent worldgen. Even in RL, not all monarchs did great things during their reigns, some might have not done a whole lot of notable stuff.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: July 05, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »

Ever? Yes. As personalities and world gen and post-world-gen decisions get better, we should get more interesting historical figures, and thus more interesting rulers.

In the next version, you can become the king.
You can become a site leader. That's a bit lower in the hierarchy than a king (or law-giver or master or whatever's making the big decisions). I suppose you can become the de-facto king if you control all sites, but becoming actual royalty isn't in the cards yet, as far as I remember.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: July 05, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »

Right now pressing a claim on a site involves taking over its central building.  Presumably the civilization-wide version of that would be taking control of the capitol's central building, but Toady's said nothing about that so I'd assume there is no process for seizing a Kingdom at the moment.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: July 05, 2014, 08:37:16 pm »

You declare yourself king, and then kill everyone that disagrees. Same as real life.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: July 05, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »

You declare yourself king, and then kill everyone that disagrees. Same as real life.
You forgot a crucial part!

You have to kill everybody else, too! That way, they can't change their minds!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: July 05, 2014, 10:47:32 pm »

Heh, when was the last time there was a devlog update so short (not counting releases)?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: July 05, 2014, 11:24:32 pm »

Heh, when was the last time there was a devlog update so short (not counting releases)?

Ignoring Bay 12 reports, "Here's a DF Talk" posts, and "here's a FotF thread reply" posts, the april 5th and 6th posts are very short, but not quite as short as today's.

March 23rd, 2013 was the last time we had a shorter post:

The reddit Ask Me Anything has started. Here is my alien user name picture.

And if that doesn't count either, the most recent shorter post that pertains directly to development would be February 10, 2012:

Couple more down, having to do with historical figure housing and equipment.

That post was four days before the 34.01 ("DF2012") update. Add +2 to Hype.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:28:34 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 748