Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733697 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »

Since "rollers" increase the speed of carts, will they require power of some form to operate?

I thought it would be fairly obvious that they would. The only way rollers wouldn't run on wind/water power would be if Toady added in a completely new and awesome way of powering things that nobody saw coming in the next twenty hours or so (donkey treadmill?).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:49 pm »

Since "rollers" increase the speed of carts, will they require power of some form to operate? It would be pretty hard (well, impossible) to justify a mechanism that adds energy to something like that without requiring energy input, so I'm curious if wind/water power was or is being considered for their operation. Personally, I'd be interested in them requiring power, since if you have to actually significantly worry about whether or not your minecarts can make it up a certain number of z-levels, it adds an element of gravitational logistics to how players plan their fortresses, which would be nice since right now dwarves have no more trouble moving stuff/themselves across the z-axis than they do on the other axes.

Devlog explicitly says (emphasis mine):
There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts

I don't see another way to read "powered" in context.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 06, 2012, 11:17:03 pm »

This'll add a nice natural depth of complication for fort construction if you want to indulge in cargo carts.

There's going to have to be Utility Levels for forts, where there are power axel and mine cart rails.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:30 pm »

Since "rollers" increase the speed of carts, will they require power of some form to operate? It would be pretty hard (well, impossible) to justify a mechanism that adds energy to something like that without requiring energy input, so I'm curious if wind/water power was or is being considered for their operation. Personally, I'd be interested in them requiring power, since if you have to actually significantly worry about whether or not your minecarts can make it up a certain number of z-levels, it adds an element of gravitational logistics to how players plan their fortresses, which would be nice since right now dwarves have no more trouble moving stuff/themselves across the z-axis than they do on the other axes.

Devlog explicitly says (emphasis mine):
There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts

I don't see another way to read "powered" in context.

I do: Skipping over the word accidentally when you read it. So there.

Seriously, I just missed that one word. Whoops. I'll de-green the text now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 06, 2012, 11:26:50 pm »

As a dedicated follower of DF, all I can think is "what the fuck?"  I know Toady can really tear through new features sometimes, but he's been working on mine carts for four days and he's already got physics and collisions and stuff.

Inspiration and motivation often come in bursts.  Like other kinds of drugs, though, they tend to be followed by a crash.  Often, you get a few days or a week or two of furious activity followed by a couple weeks of "ugh... I don't even wanna get out of bed."

At least, that's how it works for the other artistic types and coders I know.

Anyway, this devpage update is glorious.  That's basically everything I could want out of these minecarts - drawbridges can shut the "doors" for minecarts, accelerators, brakes, and pressure plates so that we can play with automated systems.

If we just get track switches, we can make carts into circuit boards! 

I feel a need to just wallow around in this news like a cat.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1190 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:29 pm »

If a cart leaves the track, and subsequently lands on another track, will it regain on-track satus? e.g. A cart jumps a ramp over a gorge and lands on a new track, which it continues on, unharmed.

Will building destroyers destroy tracks? Carts? Carts in-flight-as-missiles?

Please send us carts!

Also, I received my crayon donation reward last week (Dwarf riding a war-giant-armadillo!!). It came with a pin. Anyone else get one?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 06, 2012, 11:35:18 pm »

Carts with items inside that burst into flame on contact with outside air? (credit to Necro910, he said this but with animals instead of items)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:53 pm »

I do: Skipping over the word accidentally when you read it. So there.

That's what you get for not reading each devlog five times through like me!  I almost wish I was kidding.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 07, 2012, 12:21:26 am »

You know the developer is having fun when he starts making sound effects for a game in ASCII. I can only imagine what sounds he was making when the leaning tower of carts came tumbling down.

Hopefully without things like sponsorship animals to bog development down we'll see more innovative additions to the game, like minecarts, from the next release.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 07, 2012, 12:39:26 am »

Dwarf Fortress has perpetual motion machines, so by default there cannot be either friction or air resistance  :)
No, there is additional possibility - it is possible to produce energy from nothing (what happens in water batteries and organelles of underground plants).

About slaves, maybe some civs could make use of them?
Unlikely that it is high priority (see The Magnificent Mermaid Farming Nerf).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:36 am »

I just hope this system could be decently automated, so you design it once and then it does cargo-moving w/out any player involvement. Well, except for these traffic accidents, it seems.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 07, 2012, 12:55:32 am »

it is possible to produce energy from nothing (what happens in water batteries and organelles of underground plants).

what

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:47 am »

About slaves, maybe some civs could make use of them?
Unlikely that it is high priority (see The Magnificent Mermaid Farming Nerf).
What was this? (don't smite me, Footkerchief :P)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:38 am »

it is possible to produce energy from nothing (what happens in water batteries and organelles of underground plants).

what

Kogut is very, very wrong.

There's no such thing as a "water battery", and energy never comes from nothing.

"Water batteries" are batteries with some fuel in them that isn't water ("fuel" in this case being anything with chemical/electrical potential that is used up). You sort of "refresh" them by adding more water, but you can only do so so many times, because the potential is not in the water itself. It's just misleading marketing on part of those producing them, or misleading scientific/tech journalism.

I have no idea what he's talking about regarding plant organelles, but if plant biochemistry violated the principles of thermodynamics then we'd sure as hell know about it by now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 07, 2012, 01:33:23 am »

what

Kogut is very, very wrong.

There's no such thing as a "water battery", and energy never comes from nothing.

"Water batteries" are batteries with some fuel in them that isn't water ("fuel" in this case being anything with chemical/electrical potential that is used up). You sort of "refresh" them by adding more water, but you can only do so so many times, because the potential is not in the water itself. It's just misleading marketing on part of those producing them, or misleading scientific/tech journalism.

I have no idea what he's talking about regarding plant organelles, but if plant biochemistry violated the principles of thermodynamics then we'd sure as hell know about it by now.

Kogut might have meant in-game perpetual motion waterwheels and cave plants.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 748