Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733964 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1605 on: April 21, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

New addition to the danger room: a model train set!

Danger room?  Dining hall.
Urist McDiner has eaten a masterful train recently.

Oooh. Like those restaurants with the little train bringing the plates around and around and around for people?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 21, 2012, 06:40:32 pm »

Are minecarts capable of derailing?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 21, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »

Are minecarts capable of derailing?

Yes.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:04 am »

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 22, 2012, 07:07:03 am »

Quote from: Chthonic
Under what circumstances do you envision minecarts behaving according to minecart physics?

I.e., are they going to break free from time to time?  What would cause that?  How often are they going to go careening off out of control?

If they hit a corner too fast or hit a bad junction or track end or hit another cart really fast...  lots of opportunities for trouble.

Quote from: Arkenstone
How are junctions going to work, if at all?

Will it be abstracted, allowing carts to switch direction freely at any point where more than one rail intersect? Or only at 'stop' tiles? In either case, how will runaway carts coming up to the head of a 'T-junction' from the tail be handled? Will they just derail at that point, or will they be diverted?  In the case of the latter, will the direction be random or constant?

Or will there be splits like on IRL rail lines, where carts coming from one direction are sent in only one of two (or three!) possible directions?  If so, what would happen to carts coming up a secondary rail when its not the one presently being diverted to?

The carts do not switch freely at junctions.  You can prepare a multitile junction as described above, and there might be switches later as mentioned above.  At stop tiles, where a dwarf sets it on its way, you get a full fourway ability to send it on its way.  Runaway carts hitting a T-junction will not pick a side -- they will continue on in violence.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:18 am »

And, devlog:
I went ahead and just debug-put a cart on a track and debug-pushed it. They gain speed going down ramps, get slower going up, lose a little speed on the rest of the track, a bit more on corners, and they fly in little parabolas and crash into the ground when you set them free, either straight off a cliff or launched from a short upward ramp. I've put off updating the rest of the projectiles to have parabolic paths because I don't want to lose time dealing with adv mode targeting etc., but you may well see parabolic unit paths when creatures are unfortunate enough to take flight without wings.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:05 am »

apart from the fact, that this is totally a suggestion and not a question which is not meant to be greened... using green instead of limegreen makes my eyes bleed!

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed. I've wanted to say this every time I saw the darker green text, and I did not because I felt that it's not in my place and that I'd be just a lone voice. I had to select the text to be able to read it.

Actually, thanks for pointing that out -- I hadn't noticed limegreen in the color list (or if I had, my brain probably ignored it because in most media lighter shades are the hard to read ones -- but then, that's usually not on a dark background, all of which didn't even consciously occur to me). Future reference, or should I go back and edit my questions for ease of reading?
light backgrounds are painful. light writing on dark backgrounds is just so much better in general. but whatever.

As for suggestion vs. question... I'm a little unclear how half the things that get asked on this thread aren't borderline suggestion, although I guess a specific solution to a known problem could be taken to be more suggestive than most things; I guess I'll have to dig around the thread and learn better.
(the following should by no means be a form of trying to drive someone away, he simply asked for the differentiation, as far as i understood at least)

Could a solution to the elven stupidity be to add a raw tag that 1) changes the description to suggest an object was grown rather than carved/cut, 2) allows the elves to recognise their own work and trade it back, and perhaps 3) adds a surrounding symbol -- say, "~" -- to the name to let us distinguish a +<<*larch bow*>>+ and an elven +<<*~larch bow~*>>+?
until this part its a just a very suggestiony question, which i have absolutely no problems with: its incredibly hard, if not outright impossible, to ask many things without also suggesting something.

It seems to me that given the system already tracks material, quality, encrusting/decoration etc. of individual items it shouldn't in principle be difficult to add elven-ness in this manner (though maybe it's more complicated to change any such things than I realize)? I for one would like to get a *~larch bow~* from the elves, decorate it so it's a +<<*~larch bow~*>>+ and sell it back to them at increased value, whereas currently there is (to my knowledge) no point in larch bows being in Dwarf Mode at all.
here one can recognize the suggestion/demand by the following: "...it shouldn't..." and "...I for one would like...".
also most sentences not ending in a question mark usually dont need to be greened(exceptions may include, but may not only be limited to, necessary explanations of greened questions). this improves readability a lot. a good exaple:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg3215006#msg3215006

edit: gosh, this turned out quite long, sry everyone!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:46:01 am by eux0r »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 22, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »

Actually, it's pretty easy to ask non-suggestion questions. Just ask non-leading/open-ended questions.

e.g. (something I'm very curious about, given the most recent DF talk): What exactly is the 'personality rewrite'? How are personalities going to change, and what sort of personality features are you looking to implement?

Notice I'm not 'suggesting' any particular features.

A beneficial side effect of asking such questions is that—since they generally are not 'yes/no' questions—if Toady chooses to answer them you'll get more complete and complicated answers. Leading questions are excellent in certain circumstances (e.g. adversarial journalism, trial cross-examination), but are less good for getting general information about a subject.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 22, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

light backgrounds are painful. light writing on dark backgrounds is just so much better in general. but whatever.
Actually, you and I are in agreement -- but everyone else I know tells me we're also in the minority. *sadface*

As to the rest, thanks for the pointers (you too, Sunday).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 22, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

e.g. (something I'm very curious about, given the most recent DF talk): What exactly is the 'personality rewrite'? How are personalities going to change, and what sort of personality features are you looking to implement?

I think the personality rewrite was first conceptualized under the old dev system:
Quote from: dev_single
NEMESIS ARC: The civilization leaders should be fleshed out in many ways. Related to Core11, Core15, Core40, Req161, Req277, Bloat48, Bloat68, Bloat176, PowerGoal98, PowerGoal101, PowerGoal102 and PowerGoal122.

Core15, PRESENTATION OF ENEMY LEADERS AND OTHER IMPORTANT FIGURES, (Future): Enemy leader play an important part in creating a story around otherwise by-the-numbers conflicts that can occur, so the leaders can afford to be presented in such a way that you as the player can learn something about their background, motivations and appearance without digging around in the legends screen. There can be a variety of mechanisms for this. Diplomats and others that visit your fortress could afford the same treatment, as well as the people you talk to and about in adventure mode conversations, etc.

Since then it's been discussed in DF Talk:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:55:14 pm by Footkerchief »

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 22, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

Actually, it's pretty easy to ask non-suggestion questions. Just ask non-leading/open-ended questions.
-snip-
A beneficial side effect of asking such questions is that—since they generally are not 'yes/no' questions—if Toady chooses to answer them you'll get more complete and complicated answers. Leading questions are excellent in certain circumstances (e.g. adversarial journalism, trial cross-examination), but are less good for getting general information about a subject.
well, in general i have to agree with you there, but when you have something specific you want to know, broad questions wont always work that well. recent examples, where i cant think of a broad question whose answer would necessarily contain the answer to what the people want to know, are:
-elones question to whether we will be able to set how nearby "nearby" is in terms of gathering stuff into a container a dwarf is holding in his hands.
-flaborts question to whether animals can be used to pull carts or not.
those are completely fine questions(independent of the way the askers actually formulated them) but can also always be understood as suggestions.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 22, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

Very true. The more specific/pointed your question, the harder it is to make it sound like not a suggestion.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »

Spoiler: on suggestions (click to show/hide)

back on topic:

I'm very happy to hear that non-human sites and animal people frequency are going to get looked at sooner rather than later.  The latest DF talk alludes to some pretty neat things that might happen in those sites.  Multitile vegetation is something I've looked forward to for a long time.  I hope the surface animal people get at least the treatment that the underground ones have, with camps and whatnot.  I always enjoy venturing into the underground to bring ant-people with me on adventures (when I can at least).  And who doesn't want capybara-man necromancer raids?  Lots of cool stuff on the horizon. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:27:56 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 22, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »

Toady is on a live broadcast right now talking about DF:

http://aigamedev.com/broadcasts/dwarf-fortress/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=promote

edit: I got it at the end. It's over now.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:28:57 pm by thvaz »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »

Damn it. Its concluded. I hope it was recorded.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 748