Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729304 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1650 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »

Skipping on Liquids! Holy crap!

I smell a new dwarven past-time. I can't wait to see transport systems that require a cart to skip across a lake.
Skipping across a lake, and also hitting rollers along the lake.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:17 pm »

Minecarts full of magma skipping across a lake...

...because we can.

Maybe have it all calculated for the minecart to finally fail to skip and fall in instead (realistically an object eventually either slows down or drifts in angle to the point where it fails to skip; you might quibble with the realism of skipping minecarts in the first place, but if you ever go and try skipping big, heavy but flat rocks you'll find it's possible, they just don't skip as many times because they lose more momentum and have greater angular drift per skip due presumably to their greater mass interacting with the water) at a point where you want to cast obsidian in the middle of the lake? Not sure what good could be done, but it might be amusing to build up an obsidian pillar in the middle of a body of water without piping magma through a hole in the ceiling above.

Also, maybe someday magma forges can have a stock of hot magma that can be dumped from minecarts to refill when the current stock gets cool, but so far we haven't heard of any such thing and that would unambiguously be a suggestion and therefore ungreenable. (Maybe I should make it red? I jest.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 26, 2012, 02:33:51 am »

Moving water and magma with carts would be a nice alternative to pumping. At least, moving small to moderate amounts of liquids might be easier. Or when great precision is required. This would help isolate magma critters from the forges at least. And setting up isolated pockets of water below the water source level without pressure problems would be easy.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 26, 2012, 03:09:41 am »

A steel minecart skipping over a volcano and going all the way, then locking itself into the tracks at the other side of the volcano. Most awesome dwarven rollercoaster stunt ever.

Also, new trap potential ! Make a goblin ambush pass between 2 tiles of magma, drop the former captured ambush in the magma tiles, rejoice as it splashes over passing ambush !

I shall call it the Fires of Irony. Not the most efficient or pratical trap ever, but wicked fun ! Imagine the terror we put the goblins though ! First they will hear the screams of other goblins falling, not that they would care for their well-being but they WILL imagine this happening to them, then slosh ! Gobbo covered in magma ! !!FUN!! for the whole dwarven family !

Now ima go twirl my nonexistent mustache and cackle in a corner, if you permit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:14:07 am by Naryar »

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:31 am »

Ah crappit, I'm sure now the release will be out when I'll be back in flippin paris with no internet access... It's just to awesome to be another way. :'(
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 26, 2012, 07:21:35 am »

So what about splashes?  Are they like mists, or something else?

Because I can totally imagine having a watertrap whereby goblins plummet several Z-levels, splash in the water, and make a pleasing mist.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:31 am »

I think they're mists. Some other people seem to think it's actual water movement.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:28 am »

What tile do minecarts use?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:34 am »

they use an inverse wall tile

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:11 am »

inverse wall? what is it?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 26, 2012, 09:06:57 am »

Inverse wall = unobscured engraved wall, i.e. dark double lines on a light background.

And that's the tracks, not the cart.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:23 am »

Oh, right, nevermind then.

Though, that said, all indications seem to point to it being A: moddable. and B: another type of unit. (First is confirmed, second is my guess.)

if B is right, then we'll be able to put unique graphics for it.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:55 am »

He said they're a type of tool, so the symbol can be changed in the raws.

I'm guessing it's either going to be µ or ◘.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:19 am »

What happens to a magma filled minecart that passes under a waterfall? Does the minecart break? If obsidian is formed, can it be removed from the minecart?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 26, 2012, 02:12:49 pm »

What happens to a magma filled minecart that passes under a waterfall? Does the minecart break? If obsidian is formed, can it be removed from the minecart?

Amusingly enough, if a liquid is a content of a minecart instead of an actual liquid on the map, it may be possible to put magma and water in the same cart without interaction until Toady actually specifically codes it in.

The obsidian reaction we have now is partially because the map data is hardcoded and so crunched that magma and water cannot coexist in the same tile at any time.  When magma is merely the contents of an extensible item vector, Toady will need to generate an entirely new set of reactions to deal with this. 

Of course, it would cause serious consistency issues if magma and water did not cool to obsidian, but right now, glass objects don't melt in magma when built, but do melt in magma when merely lying in stockpiles, so it's not like there isn't precedent. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 748