Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736069 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:23 pm »

The bug report itself might be a better place to continue this discussion.  I'm not certain of the intended behavior myself.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »

I'm guessing the "problem with age name calculation" is related to the fact that I had a world go from the Age of Death to the Second Age of Fairy tales?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »

I'm guessing the "problem with age name calculation" is related to the fact that I had a world go from the Age of Death to the Second Age of Fairy tales?

I think it has more to do with me once getting to "The seventeenth age of myth". 

Before, this wasn't a problem because magical creatures basically never reproduced, but now, it's possible for fantastic creatures to drop low, then rise back up in population.

The game calculates several ages based upon the number of magical/fantastic creatures in the game, and now that werecritters can reproduce, it's possible for the game to fluctuate right on the borderline between an Age of Myth and an Age of Legends with each age lasting only about a couple years. 

Toady is probably adding a buffer threshold, so that, if the threshold is "Less than 60% of initial fantastic creatures alive" to reach Legends, then to go back to Myth, it would require "More than 70% of initial fantastic creatures alive" before it goes back to Myth to prevent fluctuations on the borderline.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Dragons, Hydras and Rocs have been reproducing since 31.19. If you start with a fair number of them, you can see dragons with 4 or 5 children. Most of them die soon though.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »

In RL ages are generally named retroactively. From what I hear, DF calculates each year or so, whereas if it stopped every, say, decade and looked backwards (however much RAM crying that would create) it would at least be less flickery, and could perhaps even notice the back-and-forth, resulting, perhaps, in an Age of Struggle or an Age of Strife.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Are there any plans to bring back glumprongs and sliver barbs?
I changed [EVIL] to [SAVAGE] and they came back, but its tough to find an evil and savage place that has all the features i want. I have had ~60 embarks since the 14th over 6-7 worlds and i have yet to start a fortress. I did have one that i liked but after restoring the language files and setting number of vampire curses to none (Sounds like not my cup of tea...) a different world was generated. I'll keep trying because it usually takes me a while, but not days...

On a more positive note i LOVE the evil rain and clouds! Makes everything seem much more haunted/terrifying/sinister. And after seeing the animated grass last year i don't think i'll ever embark anywhere else. Thanks for all that you do Toady! DF is the ultimate simulation. I pray to Armok that you never get tired of it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:29 pm »

Are there any plans to bring back glumprongs and sliver barbs?

Bug report is here.  Yeah, it kinda sucks that they're busted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »

Well one of the issues with evil and good lands is they need to assign a plot of land big enough.

It is why a LOT of evil and good lands are Glaciers. (in most worlds I generate... Glaciers make up 90% of all good lands)

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:37 pm »

Thanks for the quick response! And one of the duplicates is from me, even... Yeah i never thought i would mod this sweet sweet simulation, seems sacrilegious. I'm just hooked on purple beds and black clothing. Guess i'll look at my old raws and mod in that plant that can be milled into black dye and brewed into sake. Thanks again, this community is the best. Oh, and my cat died and i have a room-mate now.  :P

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »

Thanks for the quick response! And one of the duplicates is from me, even... Yeah i never thought i would mod this sweet sweet simulation, seems sacrilegious. I'm just hooked on purple beds and black clothing. Guess i'll look at my old raws and mod in that plant that can be milled into black dye and brewed into sake. Thanks again, this community is the best. Oh, and my cat died and i have a room-mate now.  :P

I thought tunnel tubes were purple.  I guess glumprong trees are a different purple.

Personally, I wish there was more variety in dyes.  It makes it kinda boring to run a clothing industry.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2012, 12:13:39 am »

I thought tunnel tubes were purple.  I guess glumprong trees are a different purple.

Personally, I wish there was more variety in dyes.  It makes it kinda boring to run a clothing industry.

Yeah, it'd be sweet if we could mix dyes to make "burnt sienna" and all these other strange colors the game apparently recognizes. Ah well, wait and dream.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2012, 12:14:08 am »

Still working on world gen. Made it a little faster, nothing spectacular (200 medium years in 10 minutes). There's more I can do there, in bits and pieces, but I'll probably go back to regular new bugs now for a bit, and then we can do another release.
But... there wasn't really a major problem with the first 200 years. The real problem is that it takes exponentially longer the more history you generate, so that long-history worlds are almost impossible.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:27 am »

I generated 200 years in a medium world in 5 minutes in the current version. Just tested.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2012, 03:32:50 am »

Still working on world gen. Made it a little faster, nothing spectacular (200 medium years in 10 minutes). There's more I can do there, in bits and pieces, but I'll probably go back to regular new bugs now for a bit, and then we can do another release.
But... there wasn't really a major problem with the first 200 years. The real problem is that it takes exponentially longer the more history you generate, so that long-history worlds are almost impossible.

In the devlog before that, I mentioned that they finish now -- the years now go pretty uniformly through the rest of it.  The minute timing isn't as important as that I'm getting the years to pass 33% faster once they settle in, but I have no idea how any of that is going to translate to somebody else's computer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:03 am »

This one has been bugging me for ages:

When creatures attack each other, how does the targeting  work? How do they choose which part to attack and which weapon to use? Does this take into account the strikes of opportunity, or is the selection random? In other words, are strikes of opportunity something only I can do when using the "A" menu in adventurer mode, or are they something all creatures use automatically, even me when I simply attack my opponent using the movement arrows?

EDIT: Footkerchief and the others respond that creatures do use strikes of opportunity. But then why does attacking through keyboard arrows give me different results than attacking via the "A" menu. For example I open the "A" menu and see that I have a "simple strike" opportunity to kick my enemy in the left foot. I close the "A" menu and attack enemy using arrows instead. I would expect my character to kick his foe into the left foot, but he bashes him with mace to the head.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:03:18 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 748