Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735790 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1860 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:01 pm »

Would it be terribly difficult or time consuming to add a line to descriptions of creatures that went, 'He/she/it is facing N/NW/SSW'?

But that's pretty minor, I'm just curious.

Old but relevant:
Quote from: Toady One
I'm always wary of a strict facing.  I dislike vision cones and having to change direction manually.  It just doesn't seem that realistic, especially if you are in an alert state.  You have a neck to see all around you, which shouldn't take a turn to move and therefore you shouldn't have to control at all, the ability to use a stance that's more complicated than simply pointing in one direction (for example, how you position your legs can help determine whether you are more prone to being knocked over from the front or from the sides), and the ability to walk in all directions, not just the direction your head/body is facing.  On the other hand, you should be able to sneak up being a lazy guard that's facing away from you (rather than just using a magical sneak mode like we've got now).

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

Or in other words, do the people who oppose rubble oppose having to clean it up, (and hence, would not be opposed if cleaning were almost totally automated,) or oppose it for other reasons? 

How many are opposed to just plain anything that slows mining down for any reason, and like the fast burrowing speeds?

Your ideas might be within the scope of the hauling overhaul, so while I'm personally not opposed to an economical way to clean up useless rubble, we've already got a literal fuckton of garbage with very little to do with it outside of quantum stockpiles, atom-smashers, and the magma sea.  There should be a focus on getting this system together to efficiently export garbage out of our fort first (or getting useful materials to our shiny new stockpiles tied to workshops), before what amounts to a total mining overhaul.

In other words, I think Toady's right for putting it off for now, at least while he hopefully sets up the groundwork for efficiently moving that crap out of the miners way.  It's not a desire for an easy game that makes me say, let's have all the tools in place to potentially solve it before we add another problem for the player to surmount.  Laying tracks and building carts and setting up an even remotely efficient rubble hauling system won't be a free or easy task, without even asking the question of what you do with it after.  I hope that this hauling overhaul covers at least some of that with maybe some kind of improved dumping or whatever, but who knows?
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

Your ideas might be within the scope of the hauling overhaul, so while I'm personally not opposed to an economical way to clean up useless rubble, we've already got a literal fuckton of garbage with very little to do with it outside of quantum stockpiles, atom-smashers, and the magma sea.  There should be a focus on getting this system together to efficiently export garbage out of our fort first (or getting useful materials to our shiny new stockpiles tied to workshops), before what amounts to a total mining overhaul.

In other words, I think Toady's right for putting it off for now, at least while he hopefully sets up the groundwork for efficiently moving that crap out of the miners way.  It's not a desire for an easy game that makes me say, let's have all the tools in place to potentially solve it before we add another problem for the player to surmount.  Laying tracks and building carts and setting up an even remotely efficient rubble hauling system won't be a free or easy task, without even asking the question of what you do with it after.  I hope that this hauling overhaul covers at least some of that with maybe some kind of improved dumping or whatever, but who knows?

Your concern is fair enough, but at the same time, the ability to discuss solutions to problems while waiting on Toady to implement things is one thing we have in nigh limitless quantities.  This isn't a "he must do it in this release" discussion, it's an ideal solution discussion.  (Toady basically only listens to the ideal solution discussions, and ignores the quick fixes, anyway.)  If we need better means of disposing of garbage, we can just discuss that too. 

I find this newfound idea that we somehow have to "use" something before it goes in rather strange.  What "use" is there for dwarves needing to sleep, and hence, requiring the player build beds and bedrooms?  What "use" are evil clouds that spread contaminants that cause dwarves to vomit their internal organs?  What "use" are sieges (not counting the side-consequence of goblinite) that challenge the player's ability to defend themselves? 

When we've grown accustomed to these things, we don't mind them, but when they are proposed, we ask what's in it for us. 

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 04, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

For what it's worth, NW_K, I'd like to see mining go more toward what you envision. I think part of the problem is that people restart fortresses constantly (worlds for that matter) and typically stick to the same plan every time. That would make delving a fortress tiresome after the umpteenth time so you'd want it to be quick. But I don't think making it quick and simple is a good solution. Making fortress building challenging and interesting (in ways that you touch on, amongst others) is the key. But even then it won't mean much until such time as you have more incentive to keep a fortress for a long time. Toady has already stated that as one of his major goals (or maybe more specifically worlds) so I can see support for "difficult" mining changes growing in the future.

Quote from: Quatch
As part of the flying minecart physics, did you decide on a tile size?

Assuming gravity works like real world gravity and you can invent a time unit (obviously not linked to the dwarf mode calendar, which moves too fast for this), then a choice has been made.  It wouldn't make any fewer dragons fit in the tile though.  I think for the purposes of the minecarts it turned out to be 2m x 2m x 3m with 10 clicks / second, but it isn't that important or far-ranging in effect.

This is a missed opportunity to define the dimensions of a tile once and for all, in terms of the speed of a dwarven minecart (fully laden), rather than metres; which would seem nice and dwarven to me :)

I think it depends on how many coconuts the cart is carrying and whether it's running on African or European gauge rails.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 04, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »

Making fortress building challenging and interesting (in ways that you touch on, amongst others) is the key. But even then it won't mean much until such time as you have more incentive to keep a fortress for a long time. Toady has already stated that as one of his major goals (or maybe more specifically worlds) so I can see support for "difficult" mining changes growing in the future.

Speaking long-term, there's already plans for "end-game content" of sorts. 

Currently, there are no ways for a fortress to really interact with the world, and you may as well just play a pocket world with 5 years of history every time.  As world events start to continue on after worldgen is over, and fortresses can do more than just delay the amount of time before they crumble, we'll have a reason to keep a world on after a fortress, rather than genning a new world per fortress. 

We will have reasons to keep fortresses on past when we've actually established a fortress once we have Army Arc changes to go and change the world around us, and Barony/County/Kingdom powers over other settlements. 

Further, there's the potential for new reasons to be emotionally invested in the world with Personality Rewrites.  If the game can actually make dwarves into more than just tokens differentiated only by their color-coded professions, but real personalities that don't take just players forcing their imaginations onto the tabula rasa the game offers up, and continuing villains that aren't just going to bump into your first cage trap and make forts more interesting and unique, then players will be less likely to drop fortresses from boredom or dropping worlds so that they can keep rerolling until they hit the embark with the waterfall they like.

... and now, I've gone from wanting to write about mining to remembering how I need to finish rewriting the Class Warfare thread...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks Footkerchief. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 05, 2012, 12:01:30 am »

-snip-

well the main point people have is adding rubble, seems to add nothing to the game but time consuming disposal, it is not interesting, it is drudgery just to dig out a room, something you will do 20000000 times while playing dwarf fortress.

are you considering the long term value of this NW? how will this mechanic feel after you have played with it for a year? will it still be "oh neat, i have to clean up after mining" or will it become "ARGH FUCKING RUBBLE!!!!!"?

so I would be strictly against anything that doesn't ADD to the enjoyability of the game.

evil clouds: deadly and sometimes frustrating, but creates fun.
less stone next update: no more buying caravans with eight million stone crafts, may actually have to work for something.
sieges: dangerous and badly timed, deadly. but add a purpose for the complex combat mechanics, keep in mind sieges are unfinished atm.

we still need rebalances in farming, mining, combat, and a few other minor things to balance out the industry. these changes to mining are one giant step in that direction.

however, what does adding rubble, add to the game, that cave-ins, economic rebalances, farming changes, and whatever else is planned over the next decade doesn't?

and also didn't you do some testing a while back that found out that number of individual items = lag? so rubble would create thousands of individual items replacing the removed excess stone.

I simple don't understand your fascination with adding clutter and extra useless items to the game.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 05, 2012, 12:17:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not to speak for Kohaku, but I believe the suggestion was that a "rubble wall" would delete the items that made it and just be a "wall". So basically you trade 7 item pointers for one wall pointer. And I personally find the idea of dealing with logistics to be fun, but I realize that many other people prefer combat or some other aspect of DF. I imagine how you deal with the stone would change from fortress to fortress. Sometimes you might prefer to be mostly underground, other times you might build ginormous towers. However I believe the ideal solution would balance the need to clean up with automation, so that with sufficient inital effort, your mining becomes largely micromanagement-free.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:52 am »

well but why add the rubble in the first place? we can already build walls.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:50 am »

The reason people are interested in rubble is that we just got the whole minecart/hauling thing, and it doesn't seem like it will be worthwhile to set up unless there's a butt-ton of stuff to move around. 

I haven't actually played the dev version of the game, so I can't know for sure, but right now it sounds like Toady just added in the minecart system, but nobody's going to bother using it because it is simpler to just set up industry near the mines and have dwarves carry the products away by hand.  I personally just don't want this whole big cool system to sit around without anyone using it. 

I don't know if some kind of rubble is the answer or not, but I would point out that in the real world, gravel is an important construction material, which would fill that role. 

Again though, it's really hard to make a call on this stuff without the current iteration of the game in my hands. 
where is up?

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:43 am »

well but why add the rubble in the first place? we can already build walls.

Well, for one, constructed walls don't remove the items in any way - they are still kept for the case the wall is deconstructed back.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:10 am »

well the main point people have is adding rubble, seems to add nothing to the game but time consuming disposal, it is not interesting, it is drudgery just to dig out a room, something you will do 20000000 times while playing dwarf fortress.

I simple don't understand your fascination with adding clutter and extra useless items to the game.

What Greenskye and Caldfir are also correct, but there's something else that is important about what I am arguing for:

At a basic level, we need to throw sand in the gears of mining. 

Spoiler: longish argument (click to show/hide)

Further, you can't act as if mining is somehow a separate issue from concepts like sieges or evil clouds or or cave-ins or water management or farming.  Mining is how we deal with all those problems - making mining less fast and easy makes every problem we face more challenging and complex.  If you can no longer just dig down to the magma sea while carving a labyrinth into a mountainside as your only entrance to your fortress and magma drown the first siegers you face because that much excavation becomes a serious obstacle, then suddenly, you've made not just mining harder, but sieges harder, as well. If you can't just burrow underground immediately and stay down there forever when facing an evil cloud, but must either come to the surface to dump excess stone outside, or else face severely cramped conditions as you try to find ways to get rid of stone, (although, granted, currently, this will only matter until you get your atom-smasher running,) it makes evil clouds harder.

DF is a game where the systems are all inter-connected, and the game is only so simple and easy because all the systems are simple and easy.  Make one more complex, and it doesn't mean all that much, but when you make all of them more complex, even slightly, you've introduced a resource and problem-juggling game where you have to triage what problems are most likely to kill you next.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:42:58 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 05, 2012, 06:51:56 am »

Instead, it is a problem when you can designate a whole mountain, step away from the game to go make yourself a sandwich, and when you come back, a single dwarf has completed a mountain-top removal project. 

What we need is for mining to have some in-game cost that makes it not so easy for players to vaporize whole mountains in an afternoon. 

I don't see why it's so important to prevent players from mining out vast amounts of stone. Digging out rooms and corridors is fun at the moment. It's very satisfying to be able to be able to draw out rooms and corridors and watch them being mined out. Preventing oversized mines is not enough of a problem that it is worth adding tedium to a very basic aspect of the game.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 05, 2012, 06:59:04 am »

I don't see why it's so important to prevent players from mining out vast amounts of stone. Digging out rooms and corridors is fun at the moment. It's very satisfying to be able to be able to draw out rooms and corridors and watch them being mined out. Preventing oversized mines is not enough of a problem that it is worth adding tedium to a very basic aspect of the game.

Not tedium, delay. 

You not only will still get to designate excavation sites, but also, the "watching it happen" part will become a more intricate dance, as well.  The only thing this really does is make mining slower, and require players to deal with their problems without the infinite secure space and resources they have immediate access to from the start.  All of that is a step in a positive direction.

Besides, by that same logic you are using, I can say that sieges are just ways to add tedium to my collection of iron, or dwarves sleeping and needing bedrooms is a way to add tedium to my creation of a fortress. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 05, 2012, 07:29:11 am »

I'm glad that Toady is taking a cautious approach to mining changes. It's unavoidable that any given feature or design decision will delight some players and irritate others, but mining is such a basic and fundamental part of the game that it would be a mistake, in my opinion, to turn it into a chore.

I don't want mining to turn out like pastures, a feature that's too irritating to use on a large scale. DF is a complex game, but some balance has to be struck between complexity and playability. This game is already a tough nut to crack for newcomers, and convoluting the most basic game play mechanics isn't going to help.

I'm not opposed to more advanced mining features, as long as the basics remain simple and accessible for players who just want to get on with it. For example, I don't want mine carts to become a de facto requirement for a functional fortress. They seem perfectly suited as a mechanic for improving speed and efficiency, but the player should be able to completely ignore them without catastrophic consequences, especially in the early game.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 748