Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733144 times)

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2012, 06:33:57 am »

This one has been bugging me for ages...

Not an expert here, but I somehow recall: When Toady implemented opportunities he said all creatures use them, even adventurer when you just push arrows. Correct me if I'm wrong ;]
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:55 am »

Not an expert here, but I somehow recall: When Toady implemented opportunities he said all creatures use them, even adventurer when you just push arrows. Correct me if I'm wrong ;]

They do. It's why being knocked unconscious is now extremely lethal even in good armor. Before opportunities, you'd just get dinged all over. Now it's over with a few perfectly square critical strikes to the head.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:27 am »

They do. It's why being knocked unconscious is now extremely lethal even in good armor. Before opportunities, you'd just get dinged all over. Now it's over with a few perfectly square critical strikes to the head.

Yep:
Quote from: devlog (minus links, plus emphasis)
I know I just said I was done with features, but I was on a roll and did aimed attacks and random combat opportunities. Enemies do it too. It shakes up the combat flow quite a bit, and you'll occasionally see them use their secondary attacks when opportunities come up. Opportunity maxes out on unconscious opponents and enemies also know how to pick the best strikes, so fights can be finished quickly now. Now I'll get to the pre-release cleaning, he he he.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:54 am »

Well, it makes sense that they'd be able to slit your throat when you're down.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »

Oddly enough I survived for about 200 turns after going unconscious against a marksdwarf.  Last I saw before giving up was said marksdwarf getting swarmed by ducks.  I love this game.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »

I love it when that happens. More than once I've been saved from an ambush because a herd of something-or-other blundered into the battle and made a royal mess of things.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »

Which is why adventurers should always carry a loaf of bread; it's better to have the ducks with you than against you.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »

Which is why adventurers should always carry a loaf of bread; it's better to have the ducks with you than against you.

Bread does not exist, at least, until Toady upgrades the cooking system.  Instead, we can only have cave wheat flour, and something dubiously called "biscuits" that can be made from any two (very loosely defined) "edible" substances.  You know, like sewer brew and prepared fly brain biscuits.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »

Bread does not exist, at least, until Toady upgrades the cooking system.  Instead, we can only have cave wheat flour, and something dubiously called "biscuits" that can be made from any two (very loosely defined) "edible" substances.  You know, like sewer brew and prepared fly brain biscuits.

Two great tastes that taste great together! Nutrition dwarves love, the taste ducks crave!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:29 am »

That's why I always carry a couple loaves of bread with me to mash the fly brains into a paste suitable for cooking. Dwarven bread makes for a good mortar and pestle.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

T Baughn/Toady: how would you judge the difficulty of coding switching between two tilesets during the game (for displaying maps)?
<3

~Q~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

I note that the current curses and effects seem to be hardcoded into the game. Is there any reason for this, or have they simply yet to be pushed to occupying the raw files, pending being further expanded upon?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2012, 09:51:27 am »

Sure it should probably go to suggestions board, but cant help myself from thinking that proper solution to undeath is not pulping, but introduction of managed fire. Dwarfs should use torches as weapons to fend them off, and burn corpses w/out resorting to magma.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »

I'd like to disolve the mangled undead bits in barrels of lye.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

I note that the current curses and effects seem to be hardcoded into the game. Is there any reason for this, or have they simply yet to be pushed to occupying the raw files, pending being further expanded upon?

As far as I understand it, it's because the current interactions are basically kludgy.  Toady put in hard-coded effects as (yet another) placeholder to just get things released, and will put it down as another "when he has time for it" thing to actually make the system robust enough to make modding and procedural generation possible.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 748