Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735742 times)

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2085 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »

Of course, it's released when I'm asleep because I have to work in the morning. It'll be about ten hours before I can play. >_<

Moe: This truck mounted giant frier can fry a bull in 40 seconds.
Homer: I dont want it in 40 seconds... I want it now!

I cannot play this until DFhack and splintermind's Therapist update. I wish that this wasnt the case though.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 14, 2012, 03:55:57 pm »

Ah yes, you can filter creature names in the arena now. 8)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 14, 2012, 05:06:52 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Can create/assign to squads from v-p

FINALLY!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:19 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Can create/assign to squads from v-p

FINALLY!

Now if we could also switch between units/building/look/designation without losing our cursor or at least without resetting it to the middle...
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 14, 2012, 09:49:06 pm »

Of course, it's released when I'm asleep because I have to work in the morning. It'll be about ten hours before I can play. >_<

Moe: This truck mounted giant frier can fry a bull in 40 seconds.
Homer: I dont want it in 40 seconds... I want it now!

I cannot play this until DFhack and splintermind's Therapist update. I wish that this wasnt the case though.
splinter's update is already up, I think. So is regular DT. Hack though will probably take a good bit of time to come out.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »

I generated two worlds in this new update, and both had no flux at all. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 14, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

I generated two worlds in this new update, and both had no flux at all. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Flux is always either sedimentary or metamorphic, it's not that unusual, etc.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 14, 2012, 10:45:07 pm »

This isn't something for the Future of the Fortress thread - it's more of a Fortress Mode Forum thing.

To answer the question, though, if you set minerals as ultra-common, then flux has trouble spawning.  If you set your mineral scarcity low, then put your mineral scarcity back up a little higher, and flux should appear again.

Otherwise, you did something silly to your raws, like copy-paste something over you shouldn't have.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 16, 2012, 06:28:04 am »

Hmm, this is something of a feature suggestion, so no green - but what is the intended way of preventing carts going over-speed when going down a long descent? Placing low-friction stops could be a solution, but from observing speed values change in memory it seems that:

• There is no stop friction value close to the ramp acceleration: the closest values are 500 and 10000, while ramps give 4900 units per frame.
  • The cumulative friction effect from stops is proportional to time, and thus decreases with speed. Effectively constraining speed requires something with friction that increases with speed. (Effectively meaning with a stable equilibrium that lets slow carts speed up, but slows fast ones.)

So maybe friction applied by stops should vary within a certain range depending on speed? As it is, it seems the only effective solution to constraining speed is actually abusing the behavior of carts flying into the air when going overspeed, i.e. if you dig you tunnel in the ramp - flat - ramp - flat - ... fashion, about every 3 z-levels the cart flies off the track, bumps into the wall, and falls vertically onto the track with 0 speed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:52:12 am by ag »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

-pushed carts are not considered, these have speed depending on the pusher's strength and the cart/freight's weight.

-Allow riding dwarves to use a handbrake?
requiring either a personality tie-in for what the dwarf considers a safe speed or a riding skill that allows dwarves to estimate when braking is wisest.

-unmanned carts indeed need an external brake.
The stops are the most likely candidate for this, but a brake-activator would still brake a slowmoving cart more than a faster one (all brakes are based on friction). 

It is best not to allow carts to get out of controll at all (by planning): the logical thing is to exponentially increase cart crashchance with higher speeds, even on straight routes, bacause a fast moving cart is more succeptible to small irregularities in the track. And though I'm not an expert on mining classical nor modern, I don't think that any brakes were available in the way you describe.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:18 pm »

Haven't been in here in a long time!  Quick question:

With the new multiple-bar-per-ore smelting, will the reactions for tetrahedrite and galena change?  At the moment, they create 4 bars of the main metal with a percentage chance of an extra 4 bars of the junior metal.

Would it not make more sense for galena to produce two lead and two silver bars every time, and tetrahedrite to produce three coppers and a silver every time?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 16, 2012, 03:41:11 pm »

With the new multiple-bar-per-ore smelting, will the reactions for tetrahedrite and galena change?  At the moment, they create 4 bars of the main metal with a percentage chance of an extra 4 bars of the junior metal.

Would it not make more sense for galena to produce two lead and two silver bars every time, and tetrahedrite to produce three coppers and a silver every time?

Another question about this topic:
Isn't a bit unbalanced that you can cut a rough stone into four blocks = 4 walls or a single pair of earrings? Maybe there should be another intermediate that than can be cut down into crafts or similar.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »

oh hell Aerval is right, that just made the mass conversion for stone even weirder with crafts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 16, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »

Alternately, just use blocks for crafts.  I don't think we need anything much smaller than a block, anyway.

Of course, at the same time, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that the purpose of stone crafts is more to just get rid of stone than it is to make the most out of my stone. 

If we want to make infinite crafts, there's always sand and clay, after all.  I usually embark on one or the other nowadays.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 16, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »

Alternately, just use blocks for crafts.  I don't think we need anything much smaller than a block, anyway.

Of course, at the same time, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that the purpose of stone crafts is more to just get rid of stone than it is to make the most out of my stone. 

If we want to make infinite crafts, there's always sand and clay, after all.  I usually embark on one or the other nowadays.
Stone is so rare now that making stone crafts is unrealistic. Clay and sand crafts require either magma or wood, the latter of which is no better than just making wood crafts. Before magma, I find wood crafts to be simplest (barring bone, which depends on the situation).
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 748