Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735740 times)

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2145 on: May 20, 2012, 09:23:43 am »

Finding a site and potentially visiting the elves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world map is smaller since it tends to grow in pops (I think so it samples uniform areas, the code is old).  I didn't grow the local one because showing a larger adventure mode view there would lag the cursor, and the larger region map will probably be the most important anyway.

what about the edges of the local field? sometimes a good embark position is with one half on one local map and with the other half on the next, but since moving the local map has no overlapping, those embark-areas can never be used, will this change with your current work?

(edit: also i recommend some rearranging of the maps, so it doesnt look like   .|I   but more like Ii    )
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:27:18 am by eux0r »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 20, 2012, 09:41:37 am »

So what is next after the minecart bugfix ? Multi-tile trees and elf retreats ? Animal caretaker being fixed ?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: May 20, 2012, 09:56:34 am »

So what is next after the minecart bugfix ? Multi-tile trees and elf retreats ? Animal caretaker being fixed ?

Hopefully equipment / military bugs will get fixed. These are the most annoying bugs in current version and they are scoring rank #1 in worst bugs vote for quite some time.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:40 am »

what about the edges of the local field? sometimes a good embark position is with one half on one local map and with the other half on the next, but since moving the local map has no overlapping, those embark-areas can never be used, will this change with your current work?
Toady is working on the display issues with regards to window sizes there. Allowing fortress mode sites to sit between local maps is not related to that, so it's unlikely that he did any work with that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 20, 2012, 10:03:14 am »

Hopefully equipment / military bugs will get fixed. These are the most annoying bugs in current version and they are scoring rank #1 in worst bugs vote for quite some time.
It may be quite complex as there are legions of subbugs (#535 is with 31 open children).

EDIT: -green
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:05:36 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2150 on: May 20, 2012, 04:45:07 pm »

for the trade screens, how about allowing rotation to two horizontal panes, rather than the current two vertical?

Can you now zoom with the mouse scroll on the site finder?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 20, 2012, 05:41:56 pm »

Actually, for the actual trade screen, having a categorical view, like the one in the stocks/stockpile/trade negotiation screen would be a godsend. 

Currently, looking through the trade screen can take a half hour or even an hour of looking through various items to find the ones you want if there are enough goods for trade.  Even scrolling through a large enough caravan's goods can take a couple minutes. 

Having a one button "mark for trade all metal bars" or "mark for trade all steel bars" would make trading much easier. 

(Of course, I still think having a "standing order for this material type" would be an even better solution, especially with tavern visitor trade coming up...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:05 pm »

I agree with what Kohaku said.
Trade Screen is the most tedious to use part of the UI atm. One caravan can easily have hundreds of items and browsing it all with the current UI is a real pain. Any sort of sorting / grouping / filtering / mass selecting would be great.
The "Bring items to Depot" screen is quite good already and is a nice example - has 2 sorting options, grouping and filtering by string.

It may be quite complex as there are legions of subbugs (#535 is with 31 open children).

Yes I know all this. It only shows how bugged the military and equipment is once you try to use its features.
But a lot of the bugs is already quite well tested and understood so this can help Toady a lot once he starts fixing them.

Some of them that bother me personally the most:
#1451 Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (one dwarf can't use the same axe for both woodcutting and axedwarfing, miners and woodcutters can't wear their military uniform when civilian)
#4932 Dwarves try to equip armor in order of its production instead of in order specified by uniform (this means they end up with cloaks instead of with breastplate)
#5485 Assigning "specific weapon / armor" doesn't show which items are already assigned
#4530 Marksdwarves won't train with training bolts unless combat bolts all used up
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:45:18 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

ApolloCVermouth

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Rodopi Zhivkov
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 20, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »

#5485 Assigning "specific weapon / armor" doesn't show which items are already assigned
Oh please let me see what eqipment has already been assigned!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:33 am »

I agree with what Kohaku said.
Trade Screen is the most tedious to use part of the UI atm. One caravan can easily have hundreds of items and browsing it all with the current UI is a real pain. Any sort of sorting / grouping / filtering / mass selecting would be great.
The "Bring items to Depot" screen is quite good already and is a nice example - has 2 sorting options, grouping and filtering by string.

And it would be nice to have the same/similar screen for the same/similar things.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 21, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

And it would be nice to have the same/similar screen for the same/similar things.

And unified keybindings! As is, their layout is sometimes fairly arbitrary. For example, viewing a unit is Z in some places, V in others, and something else in others. BUT since thats something which we can fully customize at this point, I'm not complaining.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »

I think what Toady needs to do is have a new type of equip called "Clothe" where the adventurer or dwarf instead of trying to put on socks over shoes they instead go "Huh, if I put this sock under my shoes it will fit"

BOOM! done... complete. No hassle. Enough of this layer play in both modes.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 21, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

I can only agree with what's been said already. The biggest problem with DF's interface and controls is consistency.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »

What are the chances that the 0.35.x series will be a "Fix the Things That Have Broken Over The Years" arc?

We have plenty of game mechanics that were once in the game but have been broken, removed, or taken out.

Blood Splatter
Mountainhomes and Dark Fortresses
The Economy
Cave-ins and Support
etc etc

There are plenty of examples and it would be nice to see some of the complexity they showed be revisited or fixed up for the current game.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »

The economy didn't so much "break" as Toady just admitted it was always not really working without a proper supply/demand model so that dwarves wouldn't go broke from you making the housing too nice for them to afford, or that whole coin management fiasco. 

Mountainhomes and dark fortresses I eagerly await, but they weren't so much "broken" as just not really functional and removed when the new city stuff was being implemented. 

They're both things that are supposed to be coming "soon" with the caravan arc things that are still at least hypothetically in the near future.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 748