Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755481 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2220 on: May 30, 2012, 07:29:09 am »

Regarding choosing an adjacent job square, generally you will have to find a path at some point to complete the job. Why not generate a path to the actual job target and then remove the last step? That should be even less expensive than making a straight line distance calculation, and also it would be more effective.

There may be a million reasons why that won't work but it seems logical to me.

Never mind, I guess that's basically whats happening.

They keep track of the first valid square they walk through from the beginning of the job, and then use that when they have the material.  That stops it from taking the hit on doing extra pathing checks, but I don't think it would be easy to avoid many simultaneous jobs that have a potentially complicated configuration from walling people in.  Outside factors can still cause trouble.  That's virtually unavoidable.  In the two wall case, if one of the walls is finished while the other dwarf is still fishing for stone off in the dead-end AND the first square they walked in wasn't the good square but the other wall's square, then they will still make the mistake.  Doing the extra pathing calculation is not possible without killing the processor the way things are set up, but they'll also often make the correct decision in multi-wall cases (whereas they'd often be systematically failing them before).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:38:48 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: May 30, 2012, 10:34:23 am »

If you hack in a quadruple engraved wall, and then look at it with 'k' while in normal game, what happens? Does only the first/last show up? Do all four show up one after the other? Does the game simply crash?

I meant that a single engraving can be on up to 8 sides of a pillar.

That said, with hacking it's possible to have 20 engravings on a single tile of grassy soil, but that's just silly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:24 am »

That said, with hacking it's possible to have 20 engravings on a single tile of grassy soil, but that's just silly.
I imagine that like those reported entire copy of the bible on a single grain of rice things.  Only with blades of grass, and with more pictures of melting elves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: May 30, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »

Now I'm glad that I dont engrave. You cant smooth the engravings back with the smoothing designation, right?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: May 30, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »

Now I'm glad that I dont engrave. You cant smooth the engravings back with the smoothing designation, right?

No, you can't.

However, that's no reason to not engrave - if nothing else, you can always engrave the floor and always know it's going to be the "up" side of the floor. 

It's ultimately such a minor thing that I usually just don't worry about it, myself.  If I do worry, and it's a noble's bedroom next to a non-noble's or something, then you can just lock the door to the room on whose side you don't want the engraving.

Doors are your traffic-control friend.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nidpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf AI
« Reply #2225 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »

Source on the usability overhaul?
ToadyOne has mentioned it in DF Talks before, tied in with a UI overhaul, which he admits is a huge barrier to new players sticking with the game.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Dwarf AI
« Reply #2226 on: May 30, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »

Have you had any luck fixing the cases where dwarves have a valid square right next to them, but insist on mining it out from the other side because of the set order in which they consider valid squares?  If I'm not mistaken, most of the time that would be fixable by having them prefer the closest valid square, where "closeness" is defined as abs(dwarf.x - destination.x) + abs(dwarf.y - destination.y) + abs(dwarf.z - destination.z), which is much simpler than a full path.

Given that the 05/29/2012 devlog now says "relevant designation jobs use the nearest square instead of starting at top left", I will consider this question answered :)  Thanks, Toady!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: May 31, 2012, 01:06:47 am »

I imagine that like those reported entire copy of the bible on a single grain of rice things.  Only with blades of grass, and with more pictures of melting elves.

We call that the Old Testament.                          :P
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: May 31, 2012, 09:28:41 am »

and we call that half a grain of sugar.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: May 31, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »

I thought WE called that "Planepacked"?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: May 31, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

I thought WE called that "Planepacked"?

That would be if each individual word had a picture of the half grain of sugar itself embedded in it. And if it menaced with spikes.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: May 31, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »

Quote from: doh log
added ability to set up generic armor options in uniforms (like the ones the defaults have)

Oh man, I've spent the past couple of years assuming that was possible but that I couldn't use the military screen right to set it up.  Hehe, well it's a great addition!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:44 am »

The fixes are amazing! Better AI, less micromanaging, better interface - I am not sure what is the best.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 01, 2012, 03:06:06 am »

•made armor stop lack of clothing thoughts
awesome
•stopped aspects of the game from advancing when designations were placed
ok, now I need help: how do I stop human and dwarf caravans from crashing into eachother

Maybe I can get the humans to arrive in spring and the elves in summer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2234 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:43 am »

Quote from: doh log
added ability to set up generic armor options in uniforms (like the ones the defaults have)

Oh man, I've spent the past couple of years assuming that was possible but that I couldn't use the military screen right to set it up.  Hehe, well it's a great addition!

Well, that was the case - it was possible to have "any armor headgear" or "any body armor", but only default uniform added this option.

Icredibly usefull when you have mix of helmets/caps or leggins/greaves.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 748