Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755445 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2265 on: June 02, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »

joy.

may i suggest SEEING caravans traveling roads?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2266 on: June 02, 2012, 03:28:55 pm »

Just wanted to chime in to thank Toady for the recent bugfixes and improvements to dwarf behavior when building/removing stuff. He addressed quite a few things I had been complaining about, and those fixes sound like they'll make the game a lot more enjoyable. I'm especially excited about less micromanagement of large constructions (and large holes?).

I agree, we've had a lot of great improvements lately, hopefully with many more to come.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 02, 2012, 08:29:43 pm »

joy.

may i suggest SEEING caravans traveling roads?

Quote from: dwarves/dev
Realize trade/tribute relationships with actual caravans moving on the map

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 03, 2012, 09:35:53 pm »

Hurrah!

Toady marked as Fixed several equipment bugs that I was waiting for fix since 0.31, also some newer bugs.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php
(7 bugs at the top were fixed today)

The next devlog is going to be awesome!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2269 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »

What do dwarves do now after completing a kill order? Head back to civilian life if allowed?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »

Awww, kinda disappointed about losing the "Designations cause liason meetings" one. I know it was a bug, but it used to make trade meetings really easy to control.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:01 am »

I hope this kind of cat get implemented somehow...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuk9GS7l8SA[/youtube]
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2272 on: June 04, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »

"[Adventure Mode -- Sleep] Sleeping on a melting iceberg results in waking up as a demon or other underground creature."

Dwarf Fortress has the best bugs. I'm going to have to try this now. How do I find a melting iceberg?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: June 04, 2012, 04:37:37 pm »

How do I find a melting iceberg?

The way to do it is described in the bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4181
(look at "Steps To Reproduce" field)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »

Yeah, I went through those steps a couple times, worked every time.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: June 05, 2012, 09:08:25 am »

I would like to see the eternally fire-immune undead bug go away. It may be great !!FUN!! but it's a bit annoying, also a bit... off.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:17 pm »

"[Adventure Mode -- Sleep] Sleeping on a melting iceberg results in waking up as a demon or other underground creature."

Dwarf Fortress has the best bugs. I'm going to have to try this now. How do I find a melting iceberg?

It's based upon the fact that the adventurer drowns or is frozen in ice or otherwise is eliminated from the game somehow, but you don't actually die on-screen, so the game isn't ended normally.  When you are supposed to wake up, and the game can't find your character anymore, it just finds the next creature in the list of creatures in the area, and makes you that creature, instead. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2277 on: June 06, 2012, 06:26:57 am »

Actually, not quite - the game's release notes explain it a bit better:

Stopped adventurer from turning into an underground creature when solid ground for placement couldn't be found

What's actually happening is that going to Sleep temporarily offloads the region (which is why sleeping doesn't take as long as it did in 40d), and when it reloads it, it can't find any solid ground to put your player on (because it's underwater) - it aborts, your character ceases to exist, and you are given control of the first creature in the unit list (which happens to be a cave creature or fish).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:44:29 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:19 pm »

New release! Likely I will not be able to try this out for a bit because of vital commitments. Its good to see all these bugs getting fixed though.

How much is going to happen before the next "big" release starts coming along?

Is the next major future release likely to take as long as "Release 1" or are we more likely to get a number of shorter term "major" releases (i.e. a few weeks to a month or so) where each time one or two of the goals is dealt with (like 3D veins)?

As far as I remember, each major feature of DF2012 took around a month to finish, suggesting this kind of release method might be possible.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 06, 2012, 05:07:29 pm »

New release! Likely I will not be able to try this out for a bit because of vital commitments. Its good to see all these bugs getting fixed though.

How much is going to happen before the next "big" release starts coming along?

Is the next major future release likely to take as long as "Release 1" or are we more likely to get a number of shorter term "major" releases (i.e. a few weeks to a month or so) where each time one or two of the goals is dealt with (like 3D veins)?

As far as I remember, each major feature of DF2012 took around a month to finish, suggesting this kind of release method might be possible.

No timelines. Toady has gone often stated "yeah, no idea how long this will take."
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 748