Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3751556 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2535 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »

This seems to actually be a step towards having the Combat system start

Where every move has an effect on your reaction time and sense of balance.

Toady will you be combining movement and attacks into one for specific attacks like charges, tackles, and moving stabs in this release? Will that actually be a thing?

Yep. Momentum from being mounted is in planned, and already in, in some respects.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »

Well in concept it is bit more then momentum on its own it is about moves that are only done on the run. A lot of attacks I can think of can only be done in a sprint (one quite vicious one in kick boxing involves dashing up someone's leg) or in a single bound.

A few also can only be done on a moving opponent

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:52 am »

New players may be unaware that the tracks need rollers to work properly (Wait... Do they? This might be a bug...).

I have never used rollers and have never had a problem. I just have them guide on the way up and push on the way down (Only one minecart-related accident so far!).

No, the main problem is that you need to put track stops on top of tracks; both being constructions, this is pretty counter-intuitive.

Good point.

I am aware of that (the part about the track stops). What I wasn't aware of, is the fact that there was an "N" track and an "NS" track. Shouldn't ALL the tracks just move in multiple directions? What I mean is, instead of having a N,E,S,W,NS,NE,NW, etc, just have a NS,NE,NW, etc. track instead. It would lead to less confusion among the players. And with the multiple direction tracks, we can still choose to only use ONE direction anyway, so it seems pointless to have so many track types. Know what I mean?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:28 am »

I haven't yet tried my hand at tracks yet, but intuitively I'd guessed that tracks were like walls, conforming to the connections around them. rollers logically would have only one direction, which should be determined at construction. stops can be as complex or as simple as ToadyOne desires, allowing for all kinds of jobs and choices. .  . should check it out soonish. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »

Designating tracks is actually a bit closer to building roads in the old sim city games.  You would designate a line of track and it would connect up to any track that are also in the designation area.

The big primary diffrence is that existing track(or previously designated track) has to be part of the designated space in order to be linked up to it.  Adjacent tracks don't automatically link up, to allow for more compact complicated track systems.

And yea in practice just setting your carts to guide seems 1000 times better.  Not like you have a shortage of dwarfpower.  Push and ride cart systems are cooler and more efficient in the long run, but they are so much harder to set up.  A fully functional relatively safe automated cart system of more than a short length is like a small megaproject in itself with all the power infrastructure required. Even downward trips will stall on long runs if they are any less than 90% downward ramp.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »

New development log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh man, the more I read those development logs the more I want this update. It's gonna be freakin' awesome.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:06 pm »

My next adventurer will be Jun Fan. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:53 pm »

Mine will be either Goku or Kenshiro.

Should I punch people till they explode, or give everyone a second chance if my first punch to their chest didn't play billiards with their ribs already?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »

My first adventurer will be MZ's daughter :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 27, 2012, 09:58:02 pm »

My first adventurer will be MZ's daughter :P
Curse you, Japa! I nearly choked on my candy!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:39 pm »

These new combat reactions sound awesome.
I wonder how many years it will be before there will be procedurally generated combat disciplines -stuff like how karate focuses on blocking and striking, judo with grappling and throws and krav maga which would likely be be a favorite of adventurers in its focus on disabling an opponent as fast as possible using a large range of incredibly violent moves.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:03 am »

These new combat reactions sound awesome.
I wonder how many years it will be before there will be procedurally generated combat disciplines -stuff like how karate focuses on blocking and striking, judo with grappling and throws and krav maga which would likely be be a favorite of adventurers in its focus on disabling an opponent as fast as possible using a large range of incredibly violent moves.
I wouldnt be shocked if something like this happen with the Combat Style stuff. Very excited, but not shocked.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:03 am »

New players may be unaware that the tracks need rollers to work properly (Wait... Do they? This might be a bug...).

I have never used rollers and have never had a problem. I just have them guide on the way up and push on the way down (Only one minecart-related accident so far!).

No, the main problem is that you need to put track stops on top of tracks; both being constructions, this is pretty counter-intuitive.

Good point.

I am aware of that (the part about the track stops). What I wasn't aware of, is the fact that there was an "N" track and an "NS" track. Shouldn't ALL the tracks just move in multiple directions? What I mean is, instead of having a N,E,S,W,NS,NE,NW, etc, just have a NS,NE,NW, etc. track instead. It would lead to less confusion among the players. And with the multiple direction tracks, we can still choose to only use ONE direction anyway, so it seems pointless to have so many track types. Know what I mean?

A North track is the track that forms the extreme southern end of a line, a track from which it is only possible to travel North (as it forms an end of a track and does derail-y things if relevant).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:27 am »

Okay, i cant be bothered to search the first few pages to see if this was already asked but...

Will the "living world" update re-introduce dwarven/goblin sites?

If so, it would be very awesome.
Finally getting around to killing that over-5000-kills-law-giver-clown would be nice.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:52 am »

Okay, i cant be bothered to search the first few pages to see if this was already asked but...

Will the "living world" update re-introduce dwarven/goblin sites?

If so, it would be very awesome.
Finally getting around to killing that over-5000-kills-law-giver-clown would be nice.
Yep.

And Toady has recently spoken about Gobbo, Elven, and Dorf Sites being barren or plain missing is becoming more and more of an eye sore.

But like most of ToadyOne and ThreeToes machinations, there is no time table.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 748