Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733746 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:28 am »

As long as Toady makes his living off this, it is a job.  And when Toady took money specifically in exchange for providing a service to the people who gave him money, he was creating, and later fulfilling, a contract

Yes, but this service is "you may receive a unique drawing" not "you may influence coding and request bugfixing/scripting/boats/multithreading/feces as there was a contract".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:19 am »

As long as Toady makes his living off this, it is a job.  And when Toady took money specifically in exchange for providing a service to the people who gave him money, he was creating, and later fulfilling, a contract

Yes, but this service is "you may receive a unique drawing" not "you may influence coding and request bugfixing/scripting/boats/multithreading/feces as there was a contract".

The sad thing is that he has some valid points (noise in world gen like the werebeasts spamming attacks, etc) but he keeps himself attached to calling everyone who not agree with him a fanboy and believing he has some kind of right to be angry.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 03:44:54 am »

The sad thing is that he has some valid points (noise in world gen like the werebeasts spamming attacks, etc) but he keeps himself attached to calling everyone who not agree with him a fanboy and believing he has some kind of right to be angry.
I agree with most of what NW_Kohaku said and the Were-creature attack are too much so I just turn them off not like they do much anyways.

Anyways back on topic, I wounder when the next df talk will be?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2012, 05:39:45 am »

I remember when 0.31 was released, and although it took a while we had hospitals and new combat squads.  Definite differences to the gameplay, even if it didn't seem like very many for such a long time.  All the simulation work on materials and combat just wasn't noticeable to me except for introducing the glass bug.

This release we have werewolves, vampires and husks and zombies.  Rather than giving us new tools to play with (ie. gameplay) we've got more content, more things to interact with using the same tools.  I think this is why I'm feeling a little down about this release, especially after being told there would be work on the wishlist items.  (That's right, I don't care in the least about adventurer mode.)

I want DF to live up to its promise, and keep improving and getting closer to that, but perhaps that's asking too much.  There are business models in children's branding (Ben10, MTV, etc.) where the brand doesn't grow with the customer but just lets them go to be replaced by someone else.  If DF is now progressing too slowly for some old timers like me I think there are enough new people to keep the DF community going.   

I'll skip this one and show up next time there's a release.  Looking forward to the moving fortress structures and trap rework.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:14 am »

This release we have werewolves, vampires and husks and zombies.  Rather than giving us new tools to play with (ie. gameplay) we've got more content, more things to interact with using the same tools.  I think this is why I'm feeling a little down about this release, especially after being told there would be work on the wishlist items.  (That's right, I don't care in the least about adventurer mode.)

I want DF to live up to its promise, and keep improving and getting closer to that, but perhaps that's asking too much.  There are business models in children's branding (Ben10, MTV, etc.) where the brand doesn't grow with the customer but just lets them go to be replaced by someone else.  If DF is now progressing too slowly for some old timers like me I think there are enough new people to keep the DF community going.   

I'll skip this one and show up next time there's a release.  Looking forward to the moving fortress structures and trap rework.

I absolutely agree...Considering that the development speed is extremely slow [1 major release in 1+ years.....+ zillions of new bugs while the old bugs are not fixed at all] I don't understand that why was it needed to spend a year on improving adventure mode mostly. [The additions to Fortress Mode are basically nothing] If I want to play a roguelike I have tons of games to choose from. [My favourite is ToME4 by far..] If I want to manage a dwarven city [IE Fortress Mode] I only have 1 game on the list: Dwarf Fortress.
So yeah....I expected much more from the new version to be honest, but I wasn't following the development at all since DF2010...I was like: "The new version will be awesome anyway, so why to check the devlist at all.." I was wrong...

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2012, 08:35:43 am »

I know it's early to ask, but... is some other Arc planned after the current caravan arc and the future army arc?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:50 am »

I know it's early to ask, but... is some other Arc planned after the current caravan arc and the future army arc?

Yes. There's a list of arcs at the top of this old dev goal page, which is no longer updated and a little outdated but still gives you the gist of the long-term goals. Judging from the current dev goal page, Adventurer Skills is definitely going to see a fair bit of attention in the near future.

Also don't forget that "arcs" are fairly broad goals that get worked on a little bit at a time over a long period of time, not concrete things that get finished all at once. We've already got a little of the Randomization arc in terms of the random evil mist materials (I think), for instance, and I suspect we'll see a little more of it in Release 2 of the current cycle when Toady works with minerals a bit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:52:07 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2012, 09:00:23 am »

Thanks Untelligent. There are a lot of goals :o
So, even though that page isn't updated, are those goals still valid?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:03 am »

Thanks Untelligent. There are a lot of goals :o
So, even though that page isn't updated, are those goals still valid?

Yes:
Quote from: Toady One
The core items, reqs, bloats and power goals of the previous pages still represent out plans for the game, and anything not on the new page is still fair game -- it's just the system itself that has been updated, because the previous system wasn't working well (not a single power goal was checked off, for example, and items often became outdated).

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »

Cool :) Thanks!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:11 pm »

I absolutely agree...Considering that the development speed is extremely slow [1 major release in 1+ years.....+ zillions of new bugs while the old bugs are not fixed at all] I don't understand that why was it needed to spend a year on improving adventure mode mostly. [The additions to Fortress Mode are basically nothing] If I want to play a roguelike I have tons of games to choose from. [My favourite is ToME4 by far..] If I want to manage a dwarven city [IE Fortress Mode] I only have 1 game on the list: Dwarf Fortress.
So yeah....I expected much more from the new version to be honest, but I wasn't following the development at all since DF2010...I was like: "The new version will be awesome anyway, so why to check the devlist at all.." I was wrong...

im sorry, but to all people bashing adv mode, (i know, just light criticism but still) if Fortress mode is 10% done, adventure mode is 1%. look at the old and new dev pages and you will see that both adv mode and fortress mode will eventually be greater than any other game.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2012, 10:00:44 pm »

I think the total is closer to about a third than 11%.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »

I think the total is closer to about a third than 11%.

Which brings adventure mode all the way up to 3%?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:20 pm »

using a simpler relative comparison, just sayin that the final goals for adventure mode put it WAY above 'another rougelike' it is planned to be every bit as detailed (if not more) as fortress mode but following one person, you, instead of a dwarven fort.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »

If I want to play a roguelike I have tons of games to choose from. [My favourite is ToME4 by far..] If I want to manage a dwarven city [IE Fortress Mode] I only have 1 game on the list: Dwarf Fortress.

This is a completely rigged comparision.  Allow me to turn it around for you:
If I wanted to manage a city I'd have tons of games to choose from, but if I wanted to play a rougelike with plump helmets I have only one game on the list: Adventure Mode.

And even that's missing the point, fort mode is much different than any other city sim or rts in existance, just like adventure mode is much different than any other rougelike, even in this early stage.  Both are unique, but one has gotten a lot of work from Toady and the other is sorely neglected.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 748