Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734131 times)

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2550 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

New development log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh man, the more I read those development logs the more I want this update. It's gonna be freakin' awesome.

I think for my next adventurer I will need to add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to bat men :P.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:59 am »

Okay, i cant be bothered to search the first few pages to see if this was already asked but...

Will the "living world" update re-introduce dwarven/goblin sites?

If so, it would be very awesome.
Finally getting around to killing that over-5000-kills-law-giver-clown would be nice.
It's not inherent, as in that's not what "living world" means. But it would be fairly reasonable to include with other general site changes, and Toady has mentioned wanting to do it before too many years pass.

Redrick720

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:10 pm »

I know "don't embark on evil areas" is a solution to that.. but, well, is that really an improvement to the last version?  Not being able to use evil areas at all?

I guess that my feeling is that they just reanimate too fast, and too many times.  Everything that dies becoming immortal and hostile doesnt seem sustainable, given how DF works, and assuming that this is how it is meant to be, I guess I just prefer the old evil biomes that were playable, if hard.

Those biomes are for people who want battles early in the game (i'm one of those)
you do know how to deal with those dead guys right?
also, they're a great way to train your militia
(unless you're at war with a civilization upon embarking at an evil biome, in that case, you're just screwed)
The novice surgeon replaces the kidney with an apple...
Surgeon: We're done!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 01, 2012, 07:08:29 am »

...That post is over 5 months old, Redrick ;)
Love, scriver~

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 02, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »

New development log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh man, the more I read those development logs the more I want this update. It's gonna be freakin' awesome.

I think for my next adventurer I will need to add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to bat men :P.

Ant men drones are better. They can fly and have four arms.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 02, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »

Ant men drones are better. They can fly and have four arms.
But they're also tiny and get charged down easily, by everything. I'm going to assume they also suck at wrestling, due to their size.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:29 am »

Giant Ant men drones?

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: July 03, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

Will the non-lethal system shouting wake nearby sleeping creatures?

Making nightly raids less of a slaughter..

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 03, 2012, 03:39:31 am »

That's an interesting question. I dont know how sound is propagated in Adventure Mode at all. Its pretty much N/A in fort mode, and the things that do produce sound, produce way to much of it, and doesnt get effected through the medium its traveling through.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 03, 2012, 05:59:11 am »

Im having a brain anurism watching the same few peices of refuse re animate OVER AND OVER AND OVER filling up another whole stockpile with their new undead remains.
This is dumb. Period. What is the fun in something that just spams itself over and over and dies in a single shot?

Once is enough

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:57 am »

Im having a brain anurism watching the same few peices of refuse re animate OVER AND OVER AND OVER filling up another whole stockpile with their new undead remains.
This is dumb. Period. What is the fun in something that just spams itself over and over and dies in a single shot?

Once is enough

Evil biome or necromancer? In the former case, magma it; in the latter case, find it, then magma it.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:19 am »

Regarding 07/02's update, isn't this a perfect time to tackle editable multi-racial entities and review the limits of what goes into the race definition and what goes on the entity definition? For example, the profession names currently go into the racial files and that's alright, but I keep thinking that it'd be awesome if entities could have adequate names for these too (with the entity names having priority). So if I have a dwarf with a spear, he can appear as a "Speardwarf" or as a "Dwarf Legionary".

Personality traits also go entirely on the racial definition, which supports a purely "by nature" model. Civilizations (representing the "nurture" aspect) could have their own set of personality modifiers, and each individual creature would have a personality that was some product of nature and nurture.

Finally, Ethics go currently on the racial file, which is entirely unjustified. They define the social contract, so their place should be on the Entity files.

EDIT: Nevermind about the Ethics, I got confused by the wiki saying that they're used "to determine how races feel about various issues". Which is another point showing how race and civilization are strongly coupled right now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:48:48 am by nocker »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:50 am »

Finally, Ethics go currently on the racial file, which is entirely unjustified. They define the social contract, so their place should be on the Entity files.
Ethics already are in the entity files.

Whether this is a good time to change multiracial entities and expanding entity limitations, I'm not really convinced. I mean, all of that is certainly up to review (or even part of) in the coming works, not just the Hero role, but also what used to be the caravan arc releases and army arc, but at the moment we're just at entity claims to sites.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »

With the changes to site ownership recently, will evil and good stop being attributes of biomes and instead be the result of good or evil historical figures spreading their influence, so that their extent changes over time?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »

With the changes to site ownership recently, will evil and good stop being attributes of biomes and instead be the result of good or evil historical figures spreading their influence, so that their extent changes over time?

Doesn't sound like it :>

Current dev page: "Scrap good/evil lands for lands with more variety"

and:

Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings. It's important that randomly generated objects be introduced to the player carefully during play rather than just being thrown one after another to allow for immersion, though there's also something to be said for cold dumping the player in a world with completely random settings, provided they can access enough information by looking/listening and having conversations, etc. Requires Core92.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 748