Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733951 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2595 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:58 am »

is there going to be more chat randomness? repeated questions get a bit annoying.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 07, 2012, 09:54:58 am »

Aww, really?

has a certain old-time appeal to it...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 07, 2012, 10:03:40 am »

yes but its kindof anoying to tell people "You look like a mighty warrior indeed!" and such.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 07, 2012, 10:09:45 am »

Will units be able to block with weapons rather then attack by the next release? And will two units be able to get into a deadlock with their weapons, struggling to either get clear of the attacker or get a strike in himself?
On the note of cool duel-y things like that, would a hero be able to march into a bandit camp and challenge the leader to a one-on-one battle? If the bandits don't just shoot the hero down first anyway.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:40:22 am by DarthBoogalo »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

Duels would be frickin' epic. That, of course, would requite a segway into coding in honor...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 07, 2012, 10:43:07 am »

Looks like there is some really impressive stuff going on with this game =) good to see the torch still lit.
I voted for BANANA!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 07, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

Looks like there is some really impressive stuff going on with this game =) good to see the torch still lit.

It isnt, no lighting and Fire-setting yet. But we have nagma-ignited bits of Lignite and coal :P

Thanks toady for the vast number of answered questions.

Will there be claims that dont interfere with each other? Say a Political claim on a city by a warlord and a religious claim by on or another religion? Will factions engage in Site-trades where it is viable say as reparation after ending a long-term war?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 07, 2012, 02:30:56 pm »

If I attack someone in town with a non-lethal attack, would the town try to subdue me, or would they just kill me like they do now?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 07, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »

Duels would be frickin' epic. That, of course, would requite a segway into coding in honor...
Honor would just be one addition to the new brain. Recognizing the honor of others would be tougher, I suppose, but it's not immediately essential. Potentially more involved would be the AI describing how characters would respond to a duel in progress. Ideally that would involve civ ethics since there's several different cultural attitudes towards it that are valuable to explore.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 07, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »

Since goblin armies moving across the map to attack will be tracked as a replacement for a goblin army just popping up on your doorstep, is this going to scrap the grace period that you have with the goblins for the first year and a half or so? I would imagine that if you're halfway between a goblin fortress and the Mountainhome it is attacking, you'd be attacked even if you were a very young fortress.
It was never really a grace period, but an arbitrary artificial trigger. I suspect those triggers will still be in place until ToadyOne gets to 'Starting Scenarios' for your fortress to better communicate the  immediate danger of invasion. But yea, eventually Entities are suppose to attack your fort in the furtherance of their goal, instead of arbitrarily like it does now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »

Do you have any plans to add more complex and advanced search options to the site finder? Like searching for an specific kind of ore or stone.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 07, 2012, 08:41:53 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I'm now having civilizations decide to attack other sites in play, starting with some straightforward examples that should lead to the complete destruction of cities.

Does this mean that, in Fort mode, your civilization (or others) could be wiped out during play? Presumably this would affect caravans and such as well.

Does this also apply to megabeast attacks? Which, in particularly crazy worlds, could lead to every civilization being wiped out in play.

I'd also ask whether the claims system will allow new civs/entities will arise during play, but I'm willing to bet the answer is "it'll happen, no timeline."

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »

Note sure if these have been brought up but, for the new system:

How many weapons/objects would we be able to carry under the new system? Will Our Avatar's Hand's become full for example?
If there will be a limit to the amount of things our Hands can hold, will it be a percentage based thing or will each hand only be able to hold to independent objects (IE, Your Shield Requiring only 80% of your hand to hold it, and you can hold a Large Copper Dagger with the other 20%; maybe with some items also requiring more then 100% to hold or attack with like a Great Axe for example

Additionally, on the attacks themselves?

Would our character be able to mix different types of attacks together? I would assume we can bash a Goblin in the Head with the Shield while Hacking the Left Lower Leg off with the Battle Axe; but could we also throw the Battle Axe while attacking with the Shield, or try a Wrestling Move with our Leg while doing an Attack?

A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 07, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

I have sum questions to ask...
Yes... their unusual questions... some are suggestions as well, maybe I should post them in suggestions later...

- Is it possible for the NPC's to reproduce during actual play? I herd they don't after world gen play; which sucks; because then they die off from old age...
- Will it be possible for a dead civilization to rebuild it's self aka if a race or kingdom went extinct and you make a adventurer and retire, is it possible to make them become an actual NPC peasant or sum ranked noble (like a king) that will rule over and give orders to the people so they can either rebuild or make a new civilization? (this kind of concept would work well if you gen a world with no civs, great for a Genesis type scenario)
- Will it be possible for a player adventurer to be able to retire anywhere? (tied to the second question which relates to the Genesis type scenario)
- Will it be possible for if say a Hord of demons from underworld or a Forgotten beast were to break free and slaughter your fort; be able to roam the world freely and attack or destroy or take over civs?

I apologize if I made suggestions during my questions, I just wonder if such concepts would be included.
If they were to get added I'd have a ton of fun experimenting with it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:32:42 pm by Guylock »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:12 pm »

How are you planning to handle nonlethal combat?:
     *Will there be a hitpoint system in place, or some way for bruises to incapacitate people?
I'm not Toady, but I'd speculate that it could be handled by the existing system, since people can pass out from exhaustion (it just doesn't happen as often as passing out from pain/suffocation). Just have to make it so bruises are fatiguing on the receiving side.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 748