Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714854 times)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2610 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:36 am »

Will our adventurers be able to join a particular religious group?

I've noticed that when I look through Legends on a particular world and look at a religious sect or any other particular group, there's a point where basically all the members leave and then a long line of leaders until the "present" time.  What I'm wondering is, will these groups at some point actually cease to exist/function?

At some point, might there be an option to progress time on a world that has already been generated? i.e. I create a world, play a fortress in that world which eventually dies out, could I then go into something like the world gen again with that world and progress the timeline in that way?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 08, 2012, 02:39:57 am »

Adventurers already are able to join religions. Once you do, you can even talk to 'god' Not that he/she ever responds.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 08, 2012, 02:48:16 am »

It seems whenever Toady posts in here it proves the adage about creating more questions than you answer.  :)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 08, 2012, 04:59:37 am »

- Is it possible for the NPC's to reproduce during actual play? I herd they don't after world gen play; which sucks; because then they die off from old age...
Not yet, but that is an explicit goal of activating the world, so it should come in during this series of releases.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2614 on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:51 am »

Wouldn't a slight adjustment to the toughness of the skull be somewhat necessary, perhaps a mengis layer or making the skull a little tougher, etc? I've noticed that punching can get a little bit easy to instant kill someone, for something that's considered non lethal (read, taking out two people in two turns, shattered skulls fatal.) Or perhaps higher the threshold for death, such that a bruised brain would more likely cause unconsciousness then death?
Of course, if those are too unfitting, how about the ability to change the amount of strength put into an attack, so one can deal a light punch to the head while dealing full blown punches to the rest of the body?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 08, 2012, 08:55:00 am »

Wouldn't a slight adjustment to the toughness of the skull be somewhat necessary, perhaps a mengis layer or making the skull a little tougher, etc? I've noticed that punching can get a little bit easy to instant kill someone, for something that's considered non lethal (read, taking out two people in two turns, shattered skulls fatal.) Or perhaps higher the threshold for death, such that a bruised brain would more likely cause unconsciousness then death?
Of course, if those are too unfitting, how about the ability to change the amount of strength put into an attack, so one can deal a light punch to the head while dealing full blown punches to the rest of the body?

I think your question might be more productive, if it succinctly stated as, "What changes do you think you'll need to make to allow for none lethal combat and what steps are you taking to have an outcomes where none death is more likely then death?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2616 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:30 am »

I think your question might be more productive, if it succinctly stated as, "What changes do you think you'll need to make to allow for none lethal combat and what steps are you taking to have an outcomes where none death is more likely then death?
Probably so, I have gotten a little suggest-y there haven't I?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 08, 2012, 10:31:50 am »

IIRC there's a mod out there somewhere that makes skull and brain damage pretty realistic, by changing skull size and thickness to make it more realistic. That almost might be something that can be partly fixed in the raws (though obviously non-lethal combat will change things).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 08, 2012, 10:58:05 am »

Probably so, I have gotten a little suggest-y there haven't I?
I dont think it was really suggestive, but detrimentally limting the scope of the question from what I think you want to know about, EI, the changes to combat to allow non-lethal combat.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:34 pm »

Toady, I don't think you need to worry about non-lethal weapons just yet, because I assume that the most lethal object in most Dwarven barfights will be a Pick stool or chair. (Which could actually be pretty lethal if it's made of stone or metal  ???).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:41 pm »

Toady, I don't think you need to worry about non-lethal weapons just yet, because I assume that the most lethal object in most Dwarven barfights will be a Pick stool or chair. (Which could actually be pretty lethal if it's made of stone or metal  ???).

Oh wow, there's something to really consider. Furniture items are pretty stuck where they're placed. (With  few means for them to be moved around/destroyed without player direction). That could be a hairy problem to solve. Dorfs should be able to arrange the bar/inn furniture objects to their initial placement. But what would dorf do if a furniture object is broken during a bar/inn fight? Telegraphing that info to player may be tricky. But that could be a pretty interesting frame work. Dorfs being able to arrange the furniture on their own. Setting up barricades? There might be other nifty applications.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:20 pm »

Oh wow, there's something to really consider. Furniture items are pretty stuck where they're placed. (With  few means for them to be moved around/destroyed without player direction). That could be a hairy problem to solve. Dorfs should be able to arrange the bar/inn furniture objects to their initial placement. But what would dorf do if a furniture object is broken during a bar/inn fight? Telegraphing that info to player may be tricky. But that could be a pretty interesting frame work. Dorfs being able to arrange the furniture on their own. Setting up barricades? There might be other nifty applications.

Maybe it could be something along the lines of the player can designate the bar area and the dwarves in charge of it go an collect the allowed amount of stuff. Similar to the hospital, but uses to a couple furniture items, mugs, and food/drink. This way the bar could have a more fluid set up. 

I guess this also begs the question of what a dwarven bar would look like. Maybe they all sit on the floor instead of sitting in chairs. Perhaps dwarves prefer to move around while they drink to get drunk and furniture just gets in the way. Do they have a bar keeper or something else? If yes, what kind of job is bar keeper? Dwarven barkeeps could be considered servants or possibly nobles. Is the bar a place for children or just the adults? Young dwarves drink, but perhaps there needs to be one place where children can't go so adults can just relax. Or do the young dwarves go and listen to the stories the drunk old farts tell by the fire? Would there be fires in the bar? I don't think it would be far fetched to find a couple fire pits that the dwarves could gather round. They could double as lighting for visitors.

I don't know, but I got an interesting image in my head after that. I think the bars will be quite a while though. 

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 09, 2012, 12:21:43 am »

As sites now change occupation with other races as well as civilizations as the world plays will we have to worry about a language barrier at some point? Will dwarfs have issues trading with humans because they do not speak the same language, and when the time comes will we need to look for a dwarf with a skill in said language to trade effectively?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:52 am »

I dont think language barriers has been brought up before by ToadyOne. There a few features that seem to imply that there is no lang. barrier, such as being able to read all the books you find, and exploration adventure role. There certainly hasn't be any sort of lang. barrier in the game so far.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 09, 2012, 02:01:05 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only language barrier that exists in the game is the fact that kobolds can only speak gibberish. Other than that, everything that speaks can understand each other.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 748