Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736126 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2640 on: July 10, 2012, 04:16:31 am »

Will this update re-introduce goblin/dwarven/elven sites to adventure mode?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:17 am »

Current signs point to no.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:17 am »

But it is one of the things Toady said that he wants to bump up, so it might be in subsequent releases. If we're lucky.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 10, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

But it is one of the things Toady said that he wants to bump up, so it might be in subsequent releases. If we're lucky.
*nods* I think the last possible moment ToadyOne can stall on putting in those sites, is when we're able to send armies across the map, then view the battles that'll take place on those sights. At that time, it'll be very crucial to have those actual sites. So yea, anywhere between the release after, and before that.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »

Toady:
1) Will we ever get to see families fleshed out more, such as humans creating noble Houses.

2) If megabeast AI is improved, will we ever get to see things like Giants herding/riding Mammoths and Elephants, or Cyclops herding sheep and cattle (ala the Odyssey)?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15:15 pm »

Toady:
1) Will we ever get to see families fleshed out more, such as humans creating noble Houses.

Yep, families are planned to be better fleshed out. I recall ToadyOne speaking about Fort Mode famalies over NPC famalies.

Comatose

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Forum Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

Dear Toady,
Last night I was listening to the DF Talk #16 and I had a few questions.

In the DF Talk, you were discussing legacys, both for Adventure and Fortress mode.
Regarding Adventure mode, you wanted to give more options to leave a creative/constructive legacy behind. Many of the ideas that the Podcast was throwing around were reliant on the current "activating worldgen in gameplay" that you are currently programming.

Where are constructive Adventurer tasks on your list of priorities?

I imagine positive adventurer actions as things like site creation (Houses, Camps, Shops), and leading adventure mode entities (bandit groups, roving bands of monster hunters, paladins of a god, etc.)

With adventurer entites becoming an increacing possibility;
Will there be more in-depth NPC interactions and conversations?

During the podcast, you also mentioned more interesting seiges and raids from gobbos.
In long, protracted seiges can we expect to see goblins building shelters, and receiving food and materials from their point of origin?

PS (Thanks for the continued development updates!  :D)
Dabbling Forum Poster
Adequate Dwarf Fortress Player
Proficient Forum Lurker

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

Where are constructive Adventurer tasks on your list of priorities?

I imagine positive adventurer actions as things like site creation (Houses, Camps, Shops), and leading adventure mode entities (bandit groups, roving bands of monster hunters, paladins of a god, etc.)

During the podcast, you also mentioned more interesting seiges and raids from gobbos.
In long, protracted seiges can we expect to see goblins building shelters, and receiving food and materials from their point of origin?

PS (Thanks for the continued development updates!  :D)
PLEASE
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »

10 July 2012 devlog - it's good to see that the goblins are becoming a credible threat again. The night creature additions and removal of dark tower sites had downgraded them to mook status.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »

How will this affect Fortress Mode?
I LOST THE GAME

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:54 pm »

How will this affect Fortress Mode?
How will what affect Fort Mode?

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:47 am »

Regarding attack speeds: Are there any plans to implement variations on the speed of readying your weapon again after a blow? I would imagine that after swinging a giant axe blade or granite throne one would require a lot of time to bring it back up to a readied/guard position compared to a more conventional weapon, to give an extreme example.

I am fairly certain that such things are already in the process of being implemented.  See this section of the recent FotF reply by Toady One.
I interpreted the "pre-strike period" he mentioned as meaning time taken winding up for an attack, rather than recovering from the last one. I don't know how necessary it will be in his new combat plans to differentiate between the two, but I can imagine that being able to do so would be useful.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 11, 2012, 07:38:44 am »

Touching up on worldgen fights and adding new types of combat and enemy activity makes me wonder...

Will the system of large worldgen battles being concluded as a series of one on one duels be touched upon this update? If not, do you see it as being necessary in this set of world persistence updates, or will it wait until external military actions by the player are possible?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:11 am »

So, if I'm reading the devlog right, which I'm quite possibly not, does this mean we'll be getting Metal Gear Fortress: Tactical Goblin Action for the next release?  If the "Breaking into fortified locations" section of the Hero-dev pages is relevant, then this will be pretty exciting.  I've always wondered how tracking and guard LOS could work in a 2D game, so I'm eager to see what becomes of this.

Apologies if these questions have been floated before...

Will goblin harassment have any repercussions beyond death and destruction such as installing goblin leaders or taking over sites (as per the July 2nd devlog), or is harassment just harassment?  Kind of answered by devlog.

Re: The June 15th devlog, this entry seems to indicate that at least in the heat of battle, personal qualities, motivations and emotional reactions are going to have more of an effect.  Now that you're tackling group movements in more detail and at all scales, will these get the same treatment as you go along, or will you add them in at a later date?

Don't know why, but I think the psychological difference it would make as a player to know that the goblins were harassing for some reason, nomatter what that reason is, would be really exciting.  So I'm hoping it makes an early appearance!   :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:00:30 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 11, 2012, 01:50:35 pm »

*nods* I think the last possible moment ToadyOne can stall on putting in those sites, is when we're able to send armies across the map, then view the battles that'll take place on those sights. At that time, it'll be very crucial to have those actual sites. So yea, anywhere between the release after, and before that.

This raises a question...

Toady, when you can send your armies out and watch them, can you also manage the fort at the same time or can you only do one thing (either watch the battle or manage the fort) at a time?
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 748