Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734957 times)

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2940 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »

Ahh, I'll need to be more cautious in the future to not miss it.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: August 12, 2012, 05:30:57 am »

So... uh, when do you think he's going to get around to simulating molecular physics?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: August 12, 2012, 05:44:51 am »

So... uh, when do you think he's going to get around to simulating molecular physics?

Soon.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: August 12, 2012, 06:05:47 am »

It already does; it's just dummied out until modern hardware catches up  :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: August 12, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

Do bogeymen still appear the old way, random and untrackable? Considering their nature, it would be kind of cool if they did. But I don't know if they're included in "night creatures"; they're not usually referred to as such but I guess they could be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: August 12, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »

Do bogeymen still appear the old way, random and untrackable? Considering their nature, it would be kind of cool if they did. But I don't know if they're included in "night creatures"; they're not usually referred to as such but I guess they could be.

I just ignore the "Night Creature" designation.

For the moment it is a meaningless designation on part with "Monster" and "Beast"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: August 12, 2012, 09:38:24 pm »

Technically, bogeymen are night creatures, but like Neo said, there isn't really anything tying together the different kinds of night creatures at the moment that differentiates them as a whole from non-night creatures.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:23 am »

They're mostly randomly generated.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: August 13, 2012, 07:00:46 am »

Toady, when you mentionned "lots of critters moving around", does it involve wolf packs ? Are they just packs roaming aimlessly, or do they have some sort of territory, or a central place where cubs are born ?
I could envision a trapper adventurer job, where you track wolves back to their main "camp" to get wolf cubs that you could raise as a pet...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »

They're mostly randomly generated.

Sorta. There is an intention to put them through more generation. Though remember one Staple night creature is always the same it just depends on its creation.

I think what will happen in the future to create the differences between night creatures and ordinary monsters is simply how the game treats them. Holy water for example don't harm a dragon but it may kill a zombie, give a vampire a rash, and scare off a werewolf.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

We know that we will be able to run into and track bandits, patrols, creatures and night creatures, but what else will be included in this? What about demons and other notable beasts that "Began wandering X area"? Will only goblins be assaulting cities and towns, or will demons, megabeasts, and titans be laying siege to them/harassing them? Will they all be included in the initial release?

If you have a character with 4 arms, how would dual wielding bows work with the new combat? Would you be able to fire both at the same time? What would the hit penalty be like/how would it be calculated?
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 13, 2012, 04:26:14 pm »

What stands in the way of dark towers, mountain homes, and forest retreats being reintroduced to the game?  With goblin ambushers being trackable, I would like to be able to track a goblin party home to exact revenge upon their families.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: August 13, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »

What stands in the way of dark towers, mountain homes, and forest retreats being reintroduced to the game?  With goblin ambushers being trackable, I would like to be able to track a goblin party home to exact revenge upon their families.

My guess is the sheer amount of work that is required.

Heck the original Dark Towers weren't even used for anything other then for Goblins to stand around in.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »

A lot.

ToadyOne doesnt want to reintroduce those sites without them being as well developed as human sites have become. If I recall correctly, he wants Dorf Sites to be similar to the type of sites that players create which offers its own hurdles (as well designing hill dorf abodes from scratch). And while I'm sure that that procedural generation code for human sites can be applicable for Dorf Sites, but still need a slew of new infrastructure. I can also see Dorf Sites requiring the Traps Overhaul to happen too.

Elf Sites are probably bit more involved because it necessitate multi tile trees. But has a similar brunt of work needed for the Dorf Sites.

I dont recall anything said about Dark Towers though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:47:43 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: August 14, 2012, 04:21:51 am »

Toady, when you mentionned "lots of critters moving around", does it involve wolf packs ? Are they just packs roaming aimlessly, or do they have some sort of territory, or a central place where cubs are born ?
I could envision a trapper adventurer job, where you track wolves back to their main "camp" to get wolf cubs that you could raise as a pet...
Well, I'm quite certain that wolf packs are among the critters moving around, as they exist. Presumably they'll just roam, since right now only the named predators have dens.

As other people have said, the work involved. However, Toady has already stated that he hopes to readd these sites into the game sometime during the current release cycle, rather than during the "army arc work" as was originally the plan when we had the explicit short-term caravan arc release list.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 748