Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3730857 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2955 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:08 am »

I wonder why he did not simply temporarily use human templates for other race sites - it should not be much more work than dummying them out and much better than current void.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: August 14, 2012, 06:18:37 am »

I wonder why he did not simply temporarily use human templates for other race sites - it should not be much more work than dummying them out and much better than current void.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it was for two reasons: First is that Dorf and Elf Sites may act fundamentally different then human sites so simply using human sites would break the Elf and Dort Brain trying to use them. (As presumably, they're still thinking under the old rules for the old sites.) And rewriting these Critter Brains may not be worth the time sink. And they probably would still require some sorta minor changes anyway. For dorf sites in particular, they would need to include booze favoritism over using water, else wise having dorfs sober to death.
So even using Human Sites for Elves of Dorfs probably is a none trivial tasks. While simpler then writing and figuring out those two new sites from scratch, its still a negative expenses of man hours.

The other reason, I would guess is because the game right now has a hard time conveying information to the player. It generally provides to much information, or doesn't provide contextual information to explain why something isn't working. So, by having all races use the same template for cities, could make the game harder to navigate and may even make the game seem like it has less content then it does. By adding more of the same, it taking away actual content away from the game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: August 14, 2012, 06:51:12 am »

I rather suspect that he simply didn't want to replace a placeholder with another, worse-fitting placeholder.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

noname

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: August 14, 2012, 07:14:31 am »

I've a question...Hope I'm on the right place here.

Is it possible for monsters and creatures to destroy walls and buildings?

Otherwise it seems a bit unrealistic if everything is undestroyable. But it's a lot easier to create a save fortress. What do you think about it?

Other question. When there is a siege, shouldn't they be able to climb up walls or swim through rivers, or break up doors or closed bridges with tools? Of course there should still be a chance for the fortress to be build save. Maybe building with strong materials.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:58 am »

Monsters destroying walls and buildings has always been a matter of when, not if.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: August 14, 2012, 07:22:32 am »

Certain structures can be destroyed by creatures with [BUILDING_DESTROYER] tag.  And there are ways of preventing them access to them destroying said objects while still maintaining their functionality.

Amphibious/aquatic already will use water ways to get to you.  If you have a wall over a river, they may swim under it.

Seige mechanics will be addressed in future Army Arc type development, where questions such as scaling walls and undermining fortifications will be brought into play.

Also, this question could have been found in the Game Play or Fort Mode sections.

noname

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: August 14, 2012, 08:28:52 am »

Thank you very much. :) ..I read the future siege implementation intentions - great :).

It seems as if I have discovered maybe less then 10% of the hole games features...I mostly all the time keep searching for the perfect embark spot, rather than playing. Does anybody know a spot with a volcano and a river which naturally forms a nice first defence wall?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

Monsters destroying walls and buildings has always been a matter of when, not if.

The sooner, the better! ;) [Same is true about diggers/tunnelers]

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:23 pm »

So now vampires sense creatures with blood at a distance.  Which is awesome, but vampirism seems to be increasingly less of a curse and more of an awesome thing that has a minorish cost.  Maybe that will change when feeding on people has more negative consequences (like being hunted down).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

hasn't vampire always been something awesome with a minor cost in all games?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: August 14, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »

So now vampires sense creatures with blood at a distance.  Which is awesome, but vampirism seems to be increasingly less of a curse and more of an awesome thing that has a minorish cost.  Maybe that will change when feeding on people has more negative consequences (like being hunted down).

You mean like having small groups of people who are mad at you track you through the wilderness and attack you when you least expect it?  Odd how that is going to be possible in the upcoming version.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »

You mean like having small groups of people who are mad at you track you through the wilderness and attack you when you least expect it?  Odd how that is going to be possible in the upcoming version.
Haha. I hope it's possible to anger a civ or two enough to get armies hunting you down, or individual assassins. May make for some interesting experiences...
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »

Are technological advances based on history length an idea? For example, picks and axes after year 1, crossbows after year 20, metals able to be worked after different times, and mechanisms and minecarts and stuff post~70-ish? Just an idea.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:06 pm »

Are technological advances based on history length an idea? For example, picks and axes after year 1, crossbows after year 20, metals able to be worked after different times, and mechanisms and minecarts and stuff post~70-ish? Just an idea.
Yes, having tech tree is defiantly an idea.

And this thread isn't for suggestions. There an entire sub forum for suggestions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:20 am »

Maybe this already has been posted, or at least there was a pretty similar question regarding night creatures, but,
Could it be possible for goblins and HFS consequences to roam freely around the countryside after toppling a player fortress, and then subsequently slaughter and conquer neighboring sites, claiming them as their own? Or is this behavior only expected (to a limited extent) from bandits and wildlife usually generated in adventure mode?

I envision it as a chain of events that affect the world in a larger and more inmediate scale, so that our own faults leading to the demise of a fortress also reach other places, changing the political (or at least the demographical) landscape. I also wonder that if we're able to track those forces of evil, then we could have a chance of exacting revenge upon them, or at least die trying, without those critters just dissapearing in a few months.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 748