Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734277 times)

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3015 on: August 18, 2012, 11:36:38 am »

will the sneak update fix the thing that people dodge your attacks even if they dont see you and dont notice you if you hit them?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:42:44 am by Cheesoburgor »
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: August 18, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »

Hmmm problem with too many skills?

Well I guess what could be done is you get two sets of points...

One you put into job focus with a list of jobs and it gives you all associated job skills according to your training with some varience depending on the importance of the skill (and these jobs can be modded in and out). Skills should even have Combat designation so if you are playing a race with a different anatomy then the job it should still recognise which skills are important offensive skills.

Then there are minor points that can be put into universal skills, General Civ skills, General Race Skills, General Demigod skills, and minor skills from the jobs you chosen from.

I should formalise this as a suggestion sometime but this is just what I thought of when I read it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:26:44 pm by Neonivek »

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: August 18, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »

Quote from: rhesusmacabre
Is it possible to follow tracks through cities?

A bit suggestiony but it seems relevant:
Have you put any future consideration into using dogs or other animals to aid in tracking?

Obviously companion animals aren't in Adventure Mode yet, but it seems like a logical step when they are.

Tracks can be left in the city mud, but I still need to handle travel through roadways on the travel map and how those tracks are realized.  Once there is street traffic, it'll likely be a much more proper mess, but it isn't that way now.

Smell is confusing, since there's knowing that something is, say, a mile upwind from you, or sniffing nose down along a scent trail.  I'm not sure what's going to happen with scent trails.  I haven't tracked smell like that yet.
What about 'social' tracking, like asking shopkeepers if they've seen a one-eyed man pass through lately?  Is that planned to be part of this?  Will bounty-hunters be able to track you down in a city by talking to people who've seen you, and so on?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: August 18, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

I have two questions and a suggestion, this might not be the place for it but giving everyone food for thought seems like a good choice.

My question first, of course, will we be able to take diplomacy far beyond "I want this, I have this" with friendly civs? If our fortress is besieged by another army, would it be possible to send a courier or have a treaty in place where if we're attacked, they'll come help? Would it have drawbacks, such as requiring a certain number of militiadwarves to be ready to go to the other civ's rescue should they be attacked?

Secondly, will towns gain any new buildings and/or see a rise in other professions among peasants? Each arc could give rise to new buildings, I've always seen the Economy arc giving towns and keeps treasury buildings, heavily guarded "banks" that weigh heavily on what a town is worth. Is there anything like this planned, such as barracks?

For adventure skills, a branch into three trees could work, with point-caps over the entire fields and caps on skills themselves.
Spoiler: examples (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:09:51 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Are those crimes not reported by witnesses?  I don't remember where that is at. 
I've seen the crimes reported (or at least the Report Crime job assigned to dwarves standing near tantrumers) but nothing beyond that in the punishment system.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: August 18, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »

Will there be anything in the near future to allow sieges to knockdown drawbridge-gates?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: August 18, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »

why have you asked that?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: August 18, 2012, 02:55:51 pm »

Thanks for the answers! With the worldgen stuff going into play, are we going to get in-game updates as to territory changes and the world map? For example, when a caravan turns up they may inform you of worldwide events such as "the human town derpderp has grown to become a city"?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 18, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

Will there be combat bonuses, such as increased hit chance, for attacking while undetected? I've always wanted to backstab a goblin.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »

Will there be combat bonuses, such as increased hit chance, for attacking while undetected? I've always wanted to backstab a goblin.
You can do that now. You can attack things from behind.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady.

Will there ever be, in Fortress mode, siege engines that destroy draw bridges and walls?
And if you implement diggers to break in a fortress, will there ever be a way of stopping them short of encapsulating your fortress in a magma river? I mean, If I do a 20Z deep moat, will they dig until they can pass beneath it and break into the fortress? How common you think they (the diggers) will be? Will they dig through constructions or just native stone walls? Will they break wood walls?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:21:22 pm by arkhometha »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 18, 2012, 08:47:59 pm »

Will there ever be, in Fortress mode, siege engines that destroy draw bridges and walls?
And if you implement diggers to break in a fortress, will there ever be a way of stopping them short of encapsulating your fortress in a magma river? I mean, If I do a 20Z deep moat, will they dig until they can pass beneath it and break into the fortress? How common you think they (the diggers) will be? Will they dig through constructions or just native stone walls? Will they break wood walls?

Siege engines destroying walls are planned, for both stone and wooden walls. I think if diggers are implemented you can turn them off, and they'll probably be limited to the soil layer. If they can dig down further, it will likely have another init option. Its also likely that the tunnels dug by invaders won't be the same as those dug by dwarves, and will have some restrictions.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 18, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady.

There will always be a way, Aussieguy's defense system, whose name I have forgotten, proves that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:23 pm »

The magma landmines or the HFS Checkerboard?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 18, 2012, 11:45:54 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 748