Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734576 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3030 on: August 19, 2012, 12:29:13 am »

Will there be combat bonuses, such as increased hit chance, for attacking while undetected? I've always wanted to backstab a goblin.
You can do that now. You can attack things from behind.
Not exactly.  From what I can tell, the game keeps track of which direction a creature recently attacked in.  So if you stand on one side of a bandit and your buddy stands on the other, and the bandit attacks your buddy, your attack on the bandit might be "from behind" and get a bonus.  It has very little to do with sneaking and even if you sneak up on someone the game won't tell you which way they're facing.  The game also treats the attack as from the front in all other respects, aka you can stab someone's nose from behind with a knife.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:35 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!

Following on from this answer you gave...

Caravans aren't on the road yet, but yeah, this'll make life troubling for them.  The bandits don't set up road tolls at this point.  It's certainly a fair thing for them to do, but it won't matter until there are people on the roads, or the adventurer is given an incentive to use roads.

When are you planning to get caravans moving?
What kind of incentives might there be to stay on the roads?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: August 19, 2012, 05:21:37 pm »

I expect that the rate of animal and bandit attacks will be lower on the roads, but bandits will be more powerful when they do attack on a road.  Though I almost never get attacked by animals currently, so this might be a non-issue.

Anyway, it is good to know that goblin sites might be in for the next version.  Being able to take out the fiends who killed my followers is fun.  Being able to go kill their families afterward will be even more so.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: August 19, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »

I expect that the rate of animal and bandit attacks will be lower on the roads, but bandits will be more powerful when they do attack on a road.  Though I almost never get attacked by animals currently, so this might be a non-issue.

Anyway, it is good to know that goblin sites might be in for the next version.  Being able to take out the fiends who killed my followers is fun.  Being able to go kill their families afterward will be even more so.

I would expect that roads are easier to travel along than wilderness, so you can go farther faster, and probably eat and drink less.

Also, Is there a hard limit to the amount of attacks that you can preform at once? If so, what is that limit? Or is it based off of a stat?

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

Will the travel/regional map be available in fortress mode so we can spot nearby armies, caravans, dignitaries, ambushes (maybe only at the last few tiles), etc?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:33:01 pm by theqmann »

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: August 19, 2012, 06:58:46 pm »

I have no idea about the surface area of feet and stuff.  It makes sense that a creature with large feet and a low mass in tough soil might not leave tracks at all, but I haven't delved into it.

Overall, there has to be some reason to travel on roads.  Right now they are meaningless.

Since some of the stuff about incentivizing adventurers to travel on roads appeared in the context of tracking, I sort of assumed that you won't leaving tracks if you travel along a road. This would have the advantage of preventing bandits from following your tracks straight to you, but on the other hand you could run into roadblocks if that is implemented.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »

Will the travel/regional map be available in fortress mode so we can spot nearby armies, caravans, dignitaries, ambushes (maybe only at the last few tiles), etc?

That would have to use scouts, whic you can assign using said map. Scouts should be chosen based on their tracking and sneaking skills. You send them out, and they come back and report. They might get caught, or lost, or eaten.  They can report on enemy army size, race, what kind of weapons, general (If the scout isreally good), etc. Toady's probably not going to do that, at least not any time soon.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »

I have no idea about the surface area of feet and stuff.  It makes sense that a creature with large feet and a low mass in tough soil might not leave tracks at all, but I haven't delved into it.

Overall, there has to be some reason to travel on roads.  Right now they are meaningless.

Since some of the stuff about incentivizing adventurers to travel on roads appeared in the context of tracking, I sort of assumed that you won't leaving tracks if you travel along a road. This would have the advantage of preventing bandits from following your tracks straight to you, but on the other hand you could run into roadblocks if that is implemented.

I don't know about you guys, but I definitely don't move as quickly or as easily through a forest when picking through the trees compared to when I'm on a path. Now that we have the basic necessities of life (eating, drinking, and sleeping) in the game as well as a combat/movement speed split, it seems the main incentive to stay on the road would be that it's faster. This would save you daylight, food, water, and energy. This might be good if you want to travel for two days without stopping, whereas the same trip cutting through thick forest, tall grasses, swamps, etc. could potentially wear you out in half a day.

On the topic of road safety, will caravans always travel with a large enough number of guards to protect them, or will there be guards from the different civs patrolling the roads to keep them safer?

Also, now that goods are tracked from town to town, are caravan goods actually going to be tracked from their origin to their destination? For example, if a caravan carrying dwarven metalwork is ambushed on its way to a human town the mountainhome, will the bandit camp be filled with +steel short sword+ and ☼lead barrel☼? Would those same goods have showed up in human shops had the caravan arrived, or would they just be stored in the warehouses?

Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: August 19, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »

That would have to use scouts, whic you can assign using said map. Scouts should be chosen based on their tracking and sneaking skills. You send them out, and they come back and report. They might get caught, or lost, or eaten.  They can report on enemy army size, race, what kind of weapons, general (If the scout isreally good), etc. Toady's probably not going to do that, at least not any time soon.

I bet it will arrive around the same time that he lets us send out armies.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: August 20, 2012, 04:08:34 am »

I don't know about you guys, but I definitely don't move as quickly or as easily through a forest when picking through the trees compared to when I'm on a path. Now that we have the basic necessities of life (eating, drinking, and sleeping) in the game as well as a combat/movement speed split, it seems the main incentive to stay on the road would be that it's faster. This would save you daylight, food, water, and energy. This might be good if you want to travel for two days without stopping, whereas the same trip cutting through thick forest, tall grasses, swamps, etc. could potentially wear you out in half a day.

-snip-
yeah, that toady-quote is from the response to my question, so its not only about tracking but also about difficulty of terrain. i was also asking about sinking in in a swamp, which is something along the lines "you walk... you walk... you die" if you dont know what youre doing. so thats a pretty good incentive to travel on roads. then there are things like quicksand in other terrains and slipping on loose rocks in mountain areas, there are many dangers of serious injury or death if you pack all your adventurer skillpoints into strengh and sword-hacking and none into "i know what im doing, at least when i _walk_"

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: August 20, 2012, 02:50:21 pm »

I bet it will arrive around the same time that he lets us send out armies.

We could just get a map that can see everything until scouts and armies are implemented

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Are those crimes not reported by witnesses?  I don't remember where that is at. 
I've seen the crimes reported (or at least the Report Crime job assigned to dwarves standing near tantrumers) but nothing beyond that in the punishment system.
Yeah. Well, it's good to see that it's not intentional, at least.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:11 pm »

I can't wait until I see how dangerous the Hydra becomes once it has several free acting heads to chomp everyone with.

Mind you it will still have a bit to go... but given that it is going from the weakest to one of the strongest Megabeasts... it is quite the achievement.

Toady are you planning on redoing Titans at a certain point or adding something that can see if a Titan is worthwhile or not or what? Since a lot of the titans generated couldn't fight their way out of a paper bad (no really, the paper bag would probably kill the Titan)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:05 pm »

Quote from: The Almighty Toad
I still have a few things I'd like to do with tracking, but I'm going to jump back up to the larger scale issues for a while now, so that the game'll achieve some level of coherence. First up, the surrounding situation at the beginning needs to be revealed somewhat, to give you some leads to follow, for instance, and you'll need a few ways to learn about anything that changes (like a nearby town being invaded). The two trickiest parts with starting exposition will be (1) the first game you play after world generation, since the world is passing from vague to specific at that point and no actual events are underway (aside from general states of war, etc), and (2) how to deal with the player choosing a starting civilization which is just absolutely dull. We're still considering how to best handle it. Overall, we're hoping to flesh out some possible courses of action that resemble a successful adventure from start to finish, probably something culminating at a goblin site or human castle, and then to get the humans to patch themselves up if their civilization survives all the horrors (all the repopulation and succession stuff). The main goal is to try to keep everything a strict simulation that doesn't warp too deeply around the player, while at the same time allowing you to experience something more involved than simple one-off quests (or random fortress invasions for that matter). I'm going to try to avoid sinking into tracking/sneaking/etc. style mechanics again until we have the full skeleton in. We'll see how that turns out...

Discuss.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:07 am »

No.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 748