Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755492 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3405 on: September 21, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

The next update is going to be amazing. My God, I'm going to fail my final year of university...
I think your time-frame might be a little optimistic, there. I'm seriously doubting a release date before January, so we'll at least get one good semester.

Quote from: ToadyOne
properly-sized mushrooms
Normal trees are cool and all, but multi-tile Tower Caps? Why yes, yes I would like to build my entire fortress in mushroom-tree-houses in the caverns. I would like that very much.
Will you be making underground trees and mushrooms multi-tile as well, and if so how are you dealing with cavern space requirements for these?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 22, 2012, 03:15:48 am »

As goblins breach the underground now,will they be attacked by forgotten beasts? There will be a chance now that forgotten beasts enter in play during world gen?

Before someone point out, demons aren't forgotten beasts.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 22, 2012, 05:30:40 am »

Will invaders be linked to the new elven and goblin sites?

And if so, will this have any effect on sieges? Variety of unit types, historical figures, etc?
Yea. Thats part of the point from making the world alive after World Gen. Invaders are suppose to come from Site populations. We already get historical figures and incoming invaders come in with different invader types.

Will creatures in Dwarf Fortress mode and/or Adventure mode be able to jump across one-tile gaps at the same z-level?
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think the answer is yes, that Adventurers will be able to jump is an intended goal for this next release.

As goblins breach the underground now,will they be attacked by forgotten beasts? There will be a chance now that forgotten beasts enter in play during world gen?
Very probably. I think it'd be very odd if ToadyOne and ThreeToe made a special exception for Gobo sites to be immune to Forgotten Beast. So, as long as they hit the artificial triggers for forgotten beasts, they should be invaded by them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 22, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

Will creatures in Dwarf Fortress mode and/or Adventure mode be able to jump across one-tile gaps at the same z-level?
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think the answer is yes, that Adventurers will be able to jump is an intended goal for this next release.
Thank you, question edited.

Will there be a difference between climbing rough and smooth walls? If some invaders become capable of climbing into an aboveground fortress, will smoothing the walls (or constructing smooth walls) prevent them from doing this? (unless they bring ladders/siege towers, of course)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:12:02 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:27 am »

edit:
edited again, but the question still stands.
Yep. I'm pretty sure that Fort Mode uses the same path finding code, as NPC do in adventure mode, so barring restrictions or exceptions in their raw, they'll have the same path finding capability. Even if it uses a different path finding code, it'd be weird if we didnt see an analogous change to fort mode as well.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 22, 2012, 07:29:04 am »

Yes, but in adventure mode, adventurers can jump down off ledges. Nothing else can in either game mode. If it's an adventurer-only change, then we wouldn't see it in fortress mode.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 22, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

If I recall correctly, ToadyOne has been hesitant to add in jumping to the game, to just Adventurer due to the unfair advantage it'd give the player over NPC. The reason why it wasn't added for NPC, is because its a none trivial change to path finding. Apparently Elf Sites require the ability to jump, /or/ the ability to climb requires changes to path finding already then while ToadyOne is in there, he's gonna the ability to jump. 

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: September 22, 2012, 07:55:25 am »

Will felled trees just leave behind multiple logs like trees do now? Or will they leave a "construction" behind - i.e. a trunk with the same length the tree was high(which have to be further processed)?
Can we then, in adventure mode fell a tree to create a makeshift bridge to cross a river safely?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:37 am »

Before someone point out, demons aren't forgotten beasts.

Perhaps they are remembered beasts!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 22, 2012, 11:32:59 am »

Will felled trees just leave behind multiple logs like trees do now? Or will they leave a "construction" behind - i.e. a trunk with the same length the tree was high(which have to be further processed)?
Can we then, in adventure mode fell a tree to create a makeshift bridge to cross a river safely?

This sounds like a really good idea tbh, not that I know how easy it'd be to implement :>

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: September 22, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

Good luck making it fall across the river instead of on your head.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »

It's a new application for the Wood Cutter skill- master Wood Cutters always have the tree fall where they want, while novices are at significant risk of tree-felling related mayhem. I really hope logging accidents make it in.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: September 22, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »

I guess that would depend on your wood cutting skill and from which side you cut it. In either case, whether it lands on your head or falls across the river, the problem of not being able to cross the river is settled. A 100% problem solving method.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

smaug13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:14 pm »

now there are armies and nightcreatures are traveling through the overworld, will this mean the megabeasts will leave their lair this or next update?

With the multitile trees and jumping implemented, does this mean that there will be creatures that live in trees. and will it be possible to sneak pasts guards through trees??

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: September 22, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »

I guess that would depend on your wood cutting skill and from which side you cut it. In either case, whether it lands on your head or falls across the river, the problem of not being able to cross the river is settled. A 100% problem solving method.
Unless it falls to one of the other two sides.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 748