Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733796 times)

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3690 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:12 pm »

yes but you could get the message "you hear a tree falling in the distance", "you hear a shout", "you hear a pig fainting" etc etc

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »

If a multi-tile tree falls when nobody is around to hear it, will it make a sound?
There are no sounds.
Just the sweet strumming of Toady's fingers upon a celestial guitar is the only sound the dwarven world will ever know.
Its a mandolin.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:36 am »

No, it's a classical guitar. He's said so in the past.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 05, 2012, 01:18:02 am »

No, it's a classical guitar. He's said so in the past.
Sorry, thinking of the music playing in MY background. Which also not a mandolin. Hmm.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 05, 2012, 06:20:47 am »

you dont like Minecraft, do you?
I used to. Then I found Dwarf Fortress.

If a multi-tile tree falls when nobody is around to hear it, will it make a sound?
Hopefully it will make the glorious sound of screaming elves. I'd like to embark in an elven retreat just to chop their trees down for kicks and watch them scrambling about in terror like ants. Hopefully they won't get mad... but I'm hoping Toady will throw in a little surprise just in case - chopping down elven wood makes them attack you, if you're in their forest. Eventually in adventure mode it'd see some non-hack use, when he gets to implementing adventurers chopping trees and building.

Is there a possibility that some fruits will rot on the trees, without falling until after they've rotted, or possibly just rotting away? If fruits rot on the trees, how long will it take for them to rot?

Will unharvested fruits attract vermin such as flies?

Will bees make different types of honey now, now that we have flowers?

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:47 am »

Will all plants (regardless of whether they are multi-tile, single-tile grass, flowers, deciduous, conifers, or whatever) have unified raw parameters/tokens/structure? Like all creatures have? So you could - hypothetically - just change a few parameters in the raws and for example make a single tile grass into a multi-tile flowering plant? Or are there fundamental differences between the raws of different plants?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3696 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:15 am »

That is a valid question actually. If cutting wood counts as mining then the noise will propagate 8 tiles away.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:10 am »

Quote from: Toady One
He he he, I thought I'd have a Future of the Fortress post for you this time, but I'm only roughly halfway through it now -- there are well over a hundred questions! There's some crayon drawing today, but I should also be able to finish the forum post up and get it posted. Vegetation growths continue (doing things dropping off now), and I should be back into fully once I clear my plate here.
Sorry for asking so much, Toady. We're just excited.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:27:31 am by Talvieno »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:22 am »

Will all plants (regardless of whether they are multi-tile, single-tile grass, flowers, deciduous, conifers, or whatever) have unified raw parameters/tokens/structure? Like all creatures have? So you could - hypothetically - just change a few parameters in the raws and for example make a single tile grass into a multi-tile flowering plant? Or are there fundamental differences between the raws of different plants?

The only thing stated in the Dev Log is that trees have Raw's that are moslty (fully?) moddable, including the kind of fruit they'll bear. (which can apparently be swords.) Nothing stated on Flowers Raws, and no word if grasses were change. Though I can totally see Grasses being changed to allow flowers too. They might be independent though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
He he he, I thought I'd have a Future of the Fortress post for you this time, but I'm only roughly halfway through it now -- there are well over a hundred questions! There's some crayon drawing today, but I should also be able to finish the forum post up and get it posted. Vegetation growths continue (doing things dropping off now), and I should be back into fully once I clear my plate here.
Sorry for asking so much, Toady. We're just excited.
QUCK EVERYONE GET YOUR QEUSTIONS IN NOW.

How will damage by falling trees be handled (especially considering the multi-tile aspect, as certain parts will weigh less presumably, but have the same velocity)? Will they fall as one tree, or will it shatter? Will it just poof and be on the ground as it is now, or will falling be a more gradual process? And what will occur to creatures on the tree? Will they be thrown, or cling to its branches?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

It's a good thing this thread is not a raw file. All these duplicates... :P
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »

1: What's your stance on taking a creative break?
2: When would you take one? Would it be tied to donations?
3: If money permits, would you travel a bit around the world in order to improve your imagination?
4: When would the next DF meetup be?
5: Besides dwarven mountain homes and kobolds, is there anything left before release?
6: How many duplicates of questions would there have to be for you to intervene?
7: How is the fps rate going so far?

Most of these have been asked before, but it was a long time ago, so Toady's stance could have changed.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 05, 2012, 04:28:43 pm »

will flowers be treated like grass or like water? in other words, can flowers slow movement?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »

What will occur to creatures in falling trees? Will they be thrown, or cling to its branches?
Much of your question has already been asked. I have rephrased for you.

will flowers be treated like grass or like water? in other words, can flowers slow movement?
As shrubs don't slow movement, I think it's safe to say that flowers won't, either.

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »

Will tree roots play a role in Fortress mode as a usable material? Will they continue to grow in soil layers during game play?
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 748