Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733222 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3705 on: October 05, 2012, 05:13:09 pm »

Will tree roots play a role in Fortress mode as a usable material? Will they continue to grow in soil layers during game play?
ROOTS? WHAT ARE ROOTS? no really, roots?

will flowers be treated like grass or like water? in other words, can flowers slow movement?
As shrubs don't slow movement, I think it's safe to say that flowers won't, either.
not even brambles? think, THORNS.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: October 05, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »

Will tree roots play a role in Fortress mode as a usable material? Will they continue to grow in soil layers during game play?
ROOTS? WHAT ARE ROOTS? no really, roots?

Roots are the parts of trees that grow about or below ground level.  Toady mentioned them in a devlog post a while ago.

will flowers be treated like grass or like water? in other words, can flowers slow movement?
As shrubs don't slow movement, I think it's safe to say that flowers won't, either.
not even brambles? think, THORNS.

At present, shrubs do not impede movement.  Toady may yet add brambles and thorns, but they aren't in yet.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:46 pm »

i dont read half of those..... im a horrible bay12er, arent i?

as for brambles, they are food, potential tracking and kindling.

PLEASE PUT IN pRiCKILEY SHARP MOVEMENT-SLOWING BUSHES!

expeshaly as roses can be used in alcohol....
Highly Opinionated Fool

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »

I would say thorns and things like that would add to nuisance rather than realism.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: October 05, 2012, 05:58:33 pm »

why? added layer of things. you might have 2 choices: go on the road and get shot at, or go into bushes and get tracked and annoyed at slowness.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: October 05, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »

why? added layer of things. you might have 2 choices: go on the road and get shot at, or go into bushes and get tracked and annoyed at slowness.
That'd make sense. Toady expressed a wish to give a reason to use roads for anything other than the bridges: making the wild more annoying to walk through might work towards achieving that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »

plus if you can plant them in fortress mode then cheep walls that provide food.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: October 05, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

plus if you can plant them in fortress mode then cheep walls that provide food.

But they should be more easy to break through.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »

Please don't green suggestions or at least disguise them as questions like everyone else.

Example: WILL YUO PUT IN pRiCKILEY SHARP MOVEMENT-SLOWING BUSHES!?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »

Please don't green suggestions or at least disguise them as questions like everyone else.

Don't do that either.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:46 pm »

Don't do that either.
Also, basic grammer is required.

Ohh, I'm so anticipant. Has anyone aseked how much he wants to do before releasing this version?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: October 06, 2012, 01:37:56 am »

Toady, have you considered adding mercury to Cinnabar and adding a syndrome to intoxicate miners and/or smelters, as well as making mercury a prerequisite for amalgamation extraction of gold and silver from their ores like it was historically?1 2 It could also be used as generic venom (coated in arrows or not), as a substance siegers use to try and poison your fort water, for drowning enemies on it, for making mirrors and for electrolysis reactions. You can extract them both without mercury, but using mercury triplicates the output. Being this way, you could make the normal extraction/smelting wield a lot less gold/silver and make the amalgamation process wield a lot more.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:43:32 am by arkhometha »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: October 06, 2012, 01:58:23 am »

Toady, have you considered adding mercury to Cinnabar...
Mercury was part of the reason to add cinnabar, and similar things go for many of the other materials which have been added at the time. This makes your other questions very likely to be true as well.

Yeah, salt's in, and I want to do things with it, but I really need to resist until the next version is up.  Same goes for the alunite, all kinds of things to do with alum.  We'll also use the saltpeter...  as a fertilizer of course.  No mixing with sulfur and charcoal!  Sulfur is currently called brimstone.  You can change that in the raws if you want.  You won't be able to use pitchblende (uraninite) to make yellow cake either, although you should be able to color glass with it later.  I also added a few arsenic sulfides, he he he (guess I could have done the oxide, but the sulfides are more colorful).  Also added cinnabar, which can give a vermilion dye and mercury, though those products aren't in either.

I'm actually not decided on gunpowder, but I'm not in a rush.  It certainly shouldn't be allowed to ruin the setting.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: October 06, 2012, 04:33:55 am »

Toady, have you considered adding mercury to Cinnabar...
Mercury was part of the reason to add cinnabar, and similar things go for many of the other materials which have been added at the time. This makes your other questions very likely to be true as well.

Yeah, salt's in, and I want to do things with it, but I really need to resist until the next version is up.  Same goes for the alunite, all kinds of things to do with alum.  We'll also use the saltpeter...  as a fertilizer of course.  No mixing with sulfur and charcoal!  Sulfur is currently called brimstone.  You can change that in the raws if you want.  You won't be able to use pitchblende (uraninite) to make yellow cake either, although you should be able to color glass with it later.  I also added a few arsenic sulfides, he he he (guess I could have done the oxide, but the sulfides are more colorful).  Also added cinnabar, which can give a vermilion dye and mercury, though those products aren't in either.

I'm actually not decided on gunpowder, but I'm not in a rush.  It certainly shouldn't be allowed to ruin the setting.

Speaking of pitchblende, I just came across a castle made of the stuff.  Obviously the radiation made everyone crazy because it was full of a vampire cult.  Ahh, dwarf fortress, why do you do such a wonderful job telling accidental stories?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: October 06, 2012, 06:02:26 am »

Assuming trees yield bark when processed will we see it required for tanning? I only ask because I remember you mentioning it a long time ago.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 748