Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733142 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3735 on: October 06, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »

how are dwarf cites going?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

how are dwarf cites going?
They havent gone at all.

After tress are done, he'll be moving onward with Elf Sites.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 06, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »

Cool, thanks for the great answers, Toady.  The watchtower talk reminded me of a question/suggestion, so will try to make this as questiony as possible...

Since watchtowers and elven treehouses put dangerous entities up high, have you considered any adventure mode UI changes to make their visibility more... natural?  e.g. the z+1 view auto-adjusting to the top of the tower to simulate the adventurer glancing up.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 06, 2012, 01:46:54 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady and everybody.
Okay, this probably have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so here it goes:
Does having raws in text files impact performance, and putting them in a database like SQL would improve performance? If yes, have you considered doing this?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:49:04 pm by arkhometha »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 06, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »

Yay! I love answers! This is why is one of the reasons why Toady is the best.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16:04 pm »

Okay, this probably have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so here it goes:
Does having raws in text files impact performance, and putting them in a database like SQL would improve performance? If yes, have you considered doing this?
I would expect that doing this would greatly complicate things for modders, which is why Toady has them in *.txt files to begin with, as I understand it. A great portion of the player base has modded the game in one way or another, at least once. Most people would be willing to sacrifice a few FPS for the sake of being able to mod the game.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: October 06, 2012, 02:25:36 pm »

I would expect that doing this would greatly complicate things for modders, which is why Toady has them in *.txt files to begin with, as I understand it. A great portion of the player base has modded the game in one way or another, at least once. Most people would be willing to sacrifice a few FPS for the sake of being able to mod the game.

But dealing with a database is easy as modding.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30:03 pm »

Oh sure, if you know your way around sql.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: October 06, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »

Come to think of it, won't it make sense to have grasses designable at some point too? Even if it's only for the Humans. Because grass is needed to make hay and straw, which, amongst other things is used to feed animals during winter and travel.
Hay and straw are planned, though there is no time-table for that yet. There was a chance that it would be added to the hauling release for hauling animals, but obviously that didn't happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: October 06, 2012, 02:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the answers Toady!

There were plans to do animal-powered vehicles sometime. Is there any chance of that going in with this release?

This is linked to the inclusion of hay and straw, since the feeding stations Toady mentioned in April will be needed.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3745 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:47 pm »

Come to think of it, won't it make sense to have grasses designable at some point too? Even if it's only for the Humans. Because grass is needed to make hay and straw, which, amongst other things is used to feed animals during winter and travel.
Hay and straw are planned, though there is no time-table for that yet. There was a chance that it would be added to the hauling release for hauling animals, but obviously that didn't happen.
Which is why I found it puzzling that the main difference between grass and trees/shrubs seems to be designation. I mean, if hay will go it, you would presumably collect it through zones or designation, right?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: October 06, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Quote from: Tov01
Will we be able to pick flowers for various purposes? For example, certain flowers could be used to produce dyes, while others, like nasturtiums, could be used for food.

Also, will flowers produce fruit, seed pods, or equivalent features?

There isn't a reason to do it yet, anywhere, but an adventurer can.  We might see more action over time.  There will be pickable yummy fruit and so on in this release.

What if you used the tree framework for flowerbeds? You can pick fruit, so you can pick flowers too... just treat flowerbeds as trees without trunks or large branches, just lots of leaves.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »

Quote from: Parisbre56
What happens when you cause the part of the ground the tree rests upon to cave in? Does the tree remain intact?

You mean like floating in space?  The trees are tied to the map, so they won't float.

He means will the tree stay tree-shaped, as opposed to collapsing into a mound of wood like the current cave in system does.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Matt_S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »

Theoretically Dwarf Fortress could convert between text files and databases for the users or have a utility to do so (or at least convert text files to databases, if not the other way around), since the code to parse text raws is already in Dwarf Fortress.  But I don't think raw processing is much of a bottleneck.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »

The SQL is easy.

The setting up an interface between DF's lightly-packed/builtin database and your SQL commands is... *sounds of spattering brains and guts*

Oh, and whatever database software Toady hooked into it would have to be compatible on multiple OSes, or whoever does the Linux and Max Mac [wow, total typo] stuff would be driven berserk, and we all know how that ends.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 748