Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735135 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4080 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »

ok I might be the troll but eh... (btw I dont get it why is the most popular troll face adorned with french ornaments? french people arent trolls! not all of them I mean)
when do you think this release will be out?
Pretty sure it won't come in 2012. My guess would be about June.

I'm expecting a "I could release the game tomorrow, but will instead add totally unrelated feature Z" dev log on december 30th.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good thing? I love releases as much as the next guy, but I feel like if the Toad feels a feature is worth delaying a release for then it's certainly worth waiting for.
Me too.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »

@mastahcheese: resurrection (as opposed to animation) is already a valid interaction.
I know it's a valid interaction, but currently (In vanilla DF at least) it extends to people being revived in a tomb, and waiting for an adventurer to come tick them off.
What I'm refering to is for those people to then leave that said tomb, and go and re-enter society, possibly attemping to re-start a war that's been dead for 200 years, or other such actions.

If there is a way to do this through modding already, that would be totally awesome, but I'm fairly sure that's hardcoded, and wouldn't work in fortress mode or adventurer mode in the ways that I mentioned.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:49 pm »

Resurrection works perfectly well through modding, but only in adventurer and fort mode.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: October 25, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

@mastahcheese: resurrection (as opposed to animation) is already a valid interaction.
I know it's a valid interaction, but currently (In vanilla DF at least) it extends to people being revived in a tomb, and waiting for an adventurer to come tick them off.
What I'm refering to is for those people to then leave that said tomb, and go and re-enter society, possibly attemping to re-start a war that's been dead for 200 years, or other such actions.

If there is a way to do this through modding already, that would be totally awesome, but I'm fairly sure that's hardcoded, and wouldn't work in fortress mode or adventurer mode in the ways that I mentioned.

DF talk 16 brings up some interesting concepts behind death revival and multiple plains of existence. it involved resurrection as well as other adventurers trying to bring you back from the dead among other things.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:41 am »

Try the masterwork mod. There are several resurrection spells. Fox example, try a lifemancer adventurer.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: October 26, 2012, 10:33:47 am »

ok I might be the troll but eh... (btw I dont get it why is the most popular troll face adorned with french ornaments? french people arent trolls! not all of them I mean)

I'm expecting a "I could release the game tomorrow, but will instead add totally unrelated feature Z" dev log on december 30th.
this is a little bit unfair. They are never 'totally unrelated'.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: October 26, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »

this is a little bit unfair. They are never 'totally unrelated'.

Okay, "Chain of barely related features".
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: October 26, 2012, 04:26:59 pm »

What features of this pending release are barely related? The causal link for all the features.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: October 26, 2012, 06:11:03 pm »

What features of this pending release are barely related? The causal link for all the features.

Oh, I am not saying that any features for this release are barely related.  I am saying that on December 30th Toady will go off on a tangent of some sort.  I expect it to be an awesome tangent, but a tangent nonetheless.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: October 26, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

Damn, long time with no devlog update! I suppose Toady either wants to get everything working before he tells us, or there are a lot of bugs to fix.

Resurrection works perfectly well through modding, but only in adventurer and fort mode.

A few mods have this. I haven't seen it used in worldgen though, mostly because I haven't used those mods, but...
If we have a modded world where some good regions resurrect the dead, are the dead returned to life and the population during worldgen?

Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: October 26, 2012, 11:53:46 pm »

Does anyone know what Toady'll tackle after elves and dwarves? I expect elves will take about a month, so most of November, and most of the stuff for dwarves is already in one way or another so I'd give that 'till the end of 2012.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: October 27, 2012, 12:52:09 am »

Does anyone know what Toady'll tackle after elves and dwarves? I expect elves will take about a month, so most of November, and most of the stuff for dwarves is already in one way or another so I'd give that 'till the end of 2012.

So, from the Dev Logs, after he gets done with the Dorf Sites, he'll have to go back to Gobo sites because there were in site job things that they shared. There also suppose to be Kobold sites too.

What was left ambiguous, was the Invaded Town stuff, and if that'll be applied to these new sites and when it'll be applied.

Like when ToadyOne said he was done with Gobo site, does that mean that they can be invaded to?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: October 27, 2012, 01:03:17 am »

After dwarves he plans to finish up goblins. He hasn't said after that, but the only other major race is kobolds so it's reasonable to surmise that it'll be them.
Other than races, I think the only big thing he wants to work on is heritance.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: October 27, 2012, 01:35:00 am »

Great! I'll put my bets on March or April '13.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:11 am »

Anything from the hero role is fair game for this release. So mounts, special moves, combat stance, fire response, fire use, disguises, interrogations, or improved orders may make it in.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 748