Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714650 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4095 on: October 27, 2012, 01:54:18 am »

We were promised better fire response last group of release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: October 27, 2012, 02:09:04 am »

Will you provide pictures of the new sites, or will that be a surprise for release?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: October 27, 2012, 02:10:17 am »

He gave us pictures of the Gobo sites.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: October 27, 2012, 02:34:22 am »

Only one, of their underground, aimlessly-dug living quarters.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:17 am »

We were promised better fire response last group of release.

Actually, we were just told that "creatures not safe from fire will run out of lethally hot squares", and we got that in the v0.34.11 release.  This fix unfortunately made obsidian farming nearly impossible if you have temperature turned off, since the area doesn't cool down after the magma/lava is turned into obsidian.  Works fine otherwise.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: October 28, 2012, 02:09:53 am »

Actually it has introduced one issue I must nitpick at: Creatures on fire will not move, at all, because they can't path away from the extreme heat. It prevents your idiot dwarves from deciding they need to go get a drink and destroyign your fortress, but it also prevents them from, say, finishing the job of killing the creature they were sent to kill when the only part of them that is actually on fire is their cloak or whatever. Now, if creatures on fire pathed towards a nearby water source, or pond or something (lern2drop+rollnewbz), and threw off that ‼pig tail fiber cloak‼ before it became a ‼XXpig tail fiber cloakXX‼, that would be great, because having burning clothing that could have been removed wouldn't be a death sentence.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: October 28, 2012, 02:16:42 am »

Actually it has introduced one issue I must nitpick at: Creatures on fire will not move, at all, because they can't path away from the extreme heat. It prevents your idiot dwarves from deciding they need to go get a drink and destroyign your fortress, but it also prevents them from, say, finishing the job of killing the creature they were sent to kill when the only part of them that is actually on fire is their cloak or whatever. Now, if creatures on fire pathed towards a nearby water source, or pond or something (lern2drop+rollnewbz), and threw off that ‼pig tail fiber cloak‼ before it became a ‼XXpig tail fiber cloakXX‼, that would be great, because having burning clothing that could have been removed wouldn't be a death sentence.
Yes. A modder created a hell-fire titan, that was always really hot, but It never did anything!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: October 28, 2012, 02:17:46 am »

Not to mention that you can now give creatures materials that they don't actually utilize that will make them immobile because of the odd pathing.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: October 28, 2012, 02:34:23 am »

How closely will dwarf mountain halls follow player forts? will you be using famous player forts for designs?

-Remembers Boatmurdered-

Ye gods...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: October 28, 2012, 03:26:03 am »

Why does the development page not list the new elf, gobbo, demonsites, jumping and those things?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: October 28, 2012, 03:42:29 am »

Quote from: Toady One, the Great
There are lots of orchards now, and the elves grow other important trees for various purposes. The orchards are currently stuck with the products from the old tree raws (chestnuts, mangos and coconuts), but that should be diversified significantly. The residential etc. trees aren't strictly natural, so you'll get some places that are flatter and smoother grown into them, but even those trees still use the standard tree growing algorithm and there's plenty of regular vegetation to go around. We should finally be on to non-player dwarf fortresses at the beginning of next month. I thought I'd be to them by now but having climbing and jumping works well enough as a consolation prize. I doubt I'll be any better at predicting how long dwarf sites will take, since there's a lot of pre-existing material to work with.

Awesome! Quicker than I expected...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: October 28, 2012, 04:39:22 am »

Personally, I am more excited about running and jumping than sites for other races. Sites are a nice bonus though. And finally, food grows on trees.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: October 28, 2012, 04:42:32 am »

So now that you are working on elven trees, does elven woodwork get special tagging now? An Elf snaps if he sees non-elven woodwork, because trees are being killed for it, so they do it differently by growing their furniture out of the tree or something right? Does elven woodwork get special tagging now, so they don't go crazy if you buy their stuff and sell it back to them?
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: October 28, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

When you mention orchards using the products from the old tree raws, do you mean no further trees have been added in or are the raw structures the same? If the raw structures for trees have changed, would you be able to present an example for us? Has the elven method for producing items been elaborated on in this release, i.e. will we see trees growing furniture? Will forest vegetation such as leaves burn?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »

When you mention orchards using the products from the old tree raws, do you mean no further trees have been added in or are the raw structures the same?
From the context, Toady simply hasn't added new trees yet that produce "fruit" beyond palms, mango trees, and chestnuts. I'm pretty sure he already mentioned that the tree raws have changed, and they pretty much have to be to accommodate growth parameters, fruit, leaves, etc.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 748